Fordmods Logo

El falcon fuel,power issue 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: El falcon fuel,power issue
Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:47 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 98 Ford EL Futura

TAS, Australia

ok fellas this car is starting to drive nuts.

History:
oil leaks - timing cover gasket.
oil leaks - sump
power steering leak - from rubber boot of rack.
water pump leak - shot bearing.
head gasket blew 500KMS ago. - due to over heating
timing chain rattles and whines.
servere over heating issue
cat converter blocked - due to mechanic retarding timing
radiator blocked

all because the previous stupid owner took it to his regular mechanic and well yeah it go F**ked up, more than it was before the mechanic touched it!!!!! Dont trust MECHANICS is my new motto.

Work to date:

tensioned sump to correct tourque fixed sump leaks.
Dropped inspection plate to see if rear seal was leaking - all good.

pulled radiator and flushed out all the s**t out of it.
pulled water tank and flushed all the s**t out of it.
pulled water pump and reffited a new gasket still leaked after 2nd gasket so it must be the bearing So need to replace water pump.

pulled cat converter and stock exaughst manifold and replaced with new cat and a set of genie extractors.

bought a VRS gasket kit and did the head gasket, intake gasket, exaughst gasket, T/B gasket and breather gasket, rocker cover gasket rocker cover bolt seals.

before the head went back on i put no 1 piston to TDC
head went back on followed by cam wheel with the timing mark set bout 3ml above the head, setting timing perfect for internal components.

Now to set the dizzy in correct position, removed no 1 spark plug put my finger over the hole and turned her over till i got the compression stroke TDC started her up and set the dizzy. (Ive always done this by ear and the note of the engine).

Now whilst i was at it i also cleaned up the T/B, with degreaser and a rag came up beautiful.
checked fuel lines for leaks - all good.

now for the interesting part even though its running 500 times better than when i first got it it still seems a little sluggish or a lack of power compared to my friends EF which has 320,000km and mine has only 187,000. and it feels that its chew more fuel than it should be..

Guys/Gals if there is anything that you may think could help please let me know cause its getting to the point of finding a F))king bigh hill and letting the handbrake go Opps!

Thanks fellas.

Post subject: Re: El falcon fuel,power issue
Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

so you fixed the overheating issue? the way you are ment to do the timing is put the computer into diagnostic mode and then set it to the standard specs with the light, or set it a couple degrees advanced if you want, have you changed the fuel filter spark plugs and leads? run some 98 octane fuel through the car

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:53 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Oxygen sensor might need replacing, gives bad fuel economy.

Also when you did the whole head gasket change, did you set the timing tensioner correctly?

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:42 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 98 Ford EL Futura

TAS, Australia

spark plugs are new, leads are new, whats do you mean set the tensioner correctly isint it there just to keep tention on the timing chain?

i dont have a timing light seems i might have to go get one. and to it that way all good.

I havent yet replaced the fuel filter or 02 sensor but i will do all this on the weekend and see how she goes.

thanks guys,

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]