EL Falcon - not my week. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: EL Falcon - not my week.
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:45 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL Falcon

VIC, Australia

Hey guys!
Have a question, doing some upkeep on my EL Sapphire this week - New rotors and pads all the way round, got the auto trans serviced and the diff oil replaced due to some odd intermittent jerking in the diff. Jerk was still there and the mech suggested changing out the spark plugs, leads, dizzy etc etc which leads and all were done by a mech 12 months ago . Me being a girl figured if i can change an air filter box out and a few other odd things i know i can do thought i could do the spark plugs. Disconnected the battery for this even though i probably didn't need to do it, changed 5 out of 6 - the #1 at the front i couldn't move - reconnected the battery and went for a little drive - got up the road and around a corner and she all of a sudden hit 3000rpm - so coasted her home slowly. Did it again twice on the way back. Friend of mine said its possible i caught up the accelerator cable when changing out the spark plugs, so have fiddled it around a bit to see if that throws it back into place. When i did so, I noticed the plastic hose connector on the pcv valve was cracked - so have a mate coming with one and have the old pcv valve out ready to just drop the new one in and hook it all up. When my mate gets here i am going to get him to help me remove the last stubborn spark plug while i put in the new pcv.
Just wondering if anyone could give me their opinions on the high revs - once the 5 plugs were changed i had no random jerking in the diff so assuming that problem may be solved - but the high revs stumps me. Should i have left the car sit in idle for a while after changing them out after reconnecting the battery and then driving it as i upset the computer in it? (if it even has one? like i said girl here - trying to be self sufficient and not have to rely on over pricing at a mechanic). Once the pcv and the last plug are changed I'm going to take it up the road again and see what she does, will update the post when i get back with what's happened.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: EL Falcon - not my week.
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:54 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

have replaced the pcv valve - changed the final plug and gone for a drive - all seems good. :) no intermittent high revs of any type

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

Great to see ladies having a go at doing things like this. High revs probably caused by broken PCV valve allowing the engine to run too lean. This can also happen when the MAP (Manifold Air Pressure) valve is disconnected.

Good to see it sorted though.

Keep it up!!

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:23 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Thanks!! So stoked i sorted it out. She's been a good car for the two years I've had her - came from a one owner home with full service history so hoping to keep on top of everything. Only thing I have noticed is either spark plug 5 or 6 closer to the fire wall is ticking, what do you think this means? Everything else is good but this noise - can only hear it with the bonnet open - isn't really noticeable apart from that.

:)

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Quote:
5 or 6 closer to the fire wall is ticking,

Go into the garage/carport/driveway when it is DARK (nightime), open the bonnet, and have a look. (no lights/torch etc.)

You might be amazed to see where all the sparks are "leaking" to...............

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:29 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Just tried that - couldn't see a thing - just heard the ticking - lol it's going to keep me stumped until i work it out.

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Quote:
just heard the ticking

Probably from the Hydraulic Lash Adjusters (HLA's) This is not a problem, as long as it goes away if you rev it above idle for a few seconds. I don't know how many kms the engine has done, and how regular the oil changes have been, but, (isn't there always a "but") if the oil changes have been regular, and quality oil used, don't go chasing it, as it will compound problems with an engine of this age.

How can you tell if oil changes have been regular you ask: have a look into the place where you pour the oil: if it looks crappy: no regular changes. If it looks clean: regular changes

The EL is up to 16 years old, and, if the engine hasn't been fiddled with, apart from putting on the AU head gasket, it will do 500,000 kms with ease IF LOOKED AFTER. They were very strong engines, under stressed.

Mine has done 470,000ish, original engine + gearbox + diff

I have finished pontificating now, and will go to bed...................................

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:43 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

she's a 98 El - and is on 286000km, full service books filled out for everything - tells me when previous owner (from new) had auto trans done - diff oil changes the works, have all the install receipts for the aftermarket Tekonsha tow accessories and the Hayman Reece towbar, they kept it all. She is on dual fuel and i spend most of my time getting about on gas and i must admit i tend to drive her like a granny..... :lol: All I know is she is a good car and I am going to do my best by her - not like some women i know who have had ef's and not done a thing to them and then wonder why they fried their engine (stupid cousin of mine)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]