Fordmods Logo

EL Falcon stalls at Idle or slow spead 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: EL Falcon stalls at Idle or slow spead
Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:53 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

Hi, Our EL falcon stalls when stopped in traffic or when going very slow, but will easily restart after approximately 10 to 12 minutes. If I maintain a speed with air flowing the engine temperature slay low and the car runs beautifully - not a problem. When the temp builds up and I get stuck in bumper to bumper trffic, the engine runs very rough and then shuts down. I turn of the ignition, wait 10mins, and then off I go.
I believe there is a link between the engine temperature and the idle or low speed.
Any help would be appreciated. I haven't tried using the ECU diagnostics on this great site as yet as I was hoping that someone else had experienced this prob.
Thanks SteveBD

Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: TS40

VIC, Australia

the normal problem with idling is caused when you disconnect and reconnect the battery (would take around 3/400kms to learn it self again) but unfortunately you problem sound alot like my mates ED... the end result after 2 weeks at ford was the car got traded in for $500 :-(
(but his would run ok till it warmed up then it would stall etc. and wouldnt run properly again till about 12hours of siting there)

the first step most places would take is replacing the ECU... for a EL auto id imagine there'd be a few on ebay and if it doesn't work just sell it again

the first step must places would

Was - 2001 AUIII Ford Falcon Forte
Genuine T2 TS50 bodykit, 18" BF Cobras, Boge and Eibach Suspension and Complete AU2 Fairmont Ghia Interior

Now - 2012 FG Mk2 Ford Falcon XR6
Swift Green,6 Speed Auto, Stock... and a Fuel Card :)

Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 Au wagon

NSW, Australia

this is a common problem with all distributor e series,,its the module on the distributor,it gets hot and cuts out.

Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:18 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: BA MkII XR8 and XE Sedan 351

NSW, Australia

Yeah same thing happened to my ea falcon, wouldnt run properly and was backfiring so badly it blew the insides of the cat convertor out through the exhaust! After going through all the possible outcomes found it to be the TFI module on the dizzy,hpoe thet helps...Vito.

BRING BACK THE CLEVELAND!!!

My daily driver-1995 EF Falcon 5 speed 4lt
My project car/weekend warrior-1982 XE Falcon with 351 clevo power,new target is Sydney Powercruise!!
Now wrecking-1989 EA Falcon s-pack 5 speed CFI

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]