EL Hybrid Confusion :( 

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: EL Hybrid Confusion :(
Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:47 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 98 EL Falcon

QLD, Australia

Hey guys,

I apologise if this has been done to death. I did a pretty comprehensive search but I was getting different answers to my questions and getting even more confused with each post.

So here it is.
I have a 98 EL falcon. The plate says it is a march build which matches up with my hybrid theory and the head starts with 96DA (also hybrid). But my problem is the engine number. I can't find anything anywhere that actually corresponds with a hybrid block. All I can find are things that say 94da, 95da, 96da etc.. But nothing that says 'VRxxxx' on it. Unless I am looking in the wrong place.

I planned on putting a wade 1636 into the thing, but now I believe I have a hybrid and I need an AU cam to be re-ground into the au equivalent of the EL 1636. I want to make sure I grab the right cam, otherwise I know bad things will happen.

Help is gladly appreciated.
Thank you.

98 EL Falcon Gli - AU II intech - t5 manual - Lowered on king lows - 2.5" custom exhaust - 200cell hi flow cat - 17" Speedy cobalt's powder coated in steel pearl - powerwindows - suede door inserts (classy) - fog lights - (probably other things I can't remember)

Post subject: Re: EL Hybrid Confusion :(
Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

The fact that your running the au/hybrid el head means you will need an au cam regardless of the engine blocks cast number.

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

The fact that your running the au/hybrid el head means you will need an au cam regardless of the engine blocks cast number.

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:09 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

I have read that it may be possible for the hybrid heads to still run normal el rockers, and this makes me wonder if that may have been done. I had the rocker cover off about two weeks ago and I don't recall seeing conical shaped springs which I have been told au heads have.

Also, would you happen to know what au cams I can use? I have been to the wreckers and got myself an au series 1 cam. But I don't know if that is right thing. I have been told to steer clear from vct engines, so that is what I did.

98 EL Falcon Gli - AU II intech - t5 manual - Lowered on king lows - 2.5" custom exhaust - 200cell hi flow cat - 17" Speedy cobalt's powder coated in steel pearl - powerwindows - suede door inserts (classy) - fog lights - (probably other things I can't remember)

Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2006 BF XR8 Boss 260

New Zealand

The VRxxxxx code is behind engine mount, almost impossible to see with mounts on. I've had 3 EL's and all were hybrid LOL

Current...
XY Faker Project...
EL XR6 Work Hack...

Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

if its all original and is a 96DA head you will need the Wade 1502AU cam which is the 1636 equiv

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

Have a look at the valve springs. If they are conical i.e.: smaller at the top than at the bottom, it is a hybrid head, and MUST run a AU cam profile with AU rockers, as the valve angle is different to previous models, as is the rocker ratio

If they are straight, it is not a hybrid (AU) and can run any cam/rocker combination from EB to EL pre 1998

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:44 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Cheers for the replies fellas, muchly appreciated.

I have to go compression test the stupid thing today, so while I'm out there I'll pull the rocker cover off and have a look at those springs. This will be fun, apparently it is meant to hit 45 in brissy today. :(

Also, would any of you guys happen to know a little about how wade do their cams? I have read that you need an exchange cam to send them, so I ran off to the wreckers a couple of weeks ago and grabbed an AU series 1 cam to send to them. But then I read elsewhere that you don't need an exchange cam unless they ask for one. So I am a little confused as to whether I actually need to send them a cam or not, and even if it is the right cam in the first place..

Thanks guys :)

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Its cheaper if you send them a cam.

BF XR6

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:33 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Okay, so to save myself some time, I didn't remove the rocker cover, but I undid the bolts so I could lift it up enough to get a look at the springs.

To me they seem to be somewhat conical. But I'm not sure if my eyes are playing tricks on me.

Also one point to note. When I was at the wreckers, I found all the AU heads had a bolt running up on the right hand corner of the head - I didn't find that on any other heads apart from hybrids.

Also I did the compression test and all seemed okay. I can post results if people are interested.

Anyway, I have managed to break my rear right window reg somehow...another thing to fix. :'(

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

Those springs are straight. The AU ones are obviously conical

Quote:
I have read that it may be possible for the hybrid heads to still run normal el rockers

IIRC, you cannot run E series rockers on AU head, as the ratio is different, as is the valve angle. I would suggest that, if you think you have a hybrid, that someone has replaced the head with an E head. Maybe when repairing the head gasket?

That said, I have straight springs on my head, which I know is a hybrid head, as when JMM modified it, he couldn't get the conical springs and replaced them with the straight ones

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:18 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Are there any other ways of identifying a hybrid head? Because the part number says it is a hybrid, but the springs are not. Can you use straight springs on a hybrid head?

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:21 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Are there any markings or part numbers on the rocker assembly? If so, does anyone know what they should be for a hyrbid?

Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:30 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Guys, where did everyone go? :(

Anyway, I think I have found some stuff that will be helpful for others. I'm pretty sure that this is a hybrid head, and I will show why.

Firstly, I happened to have the cam positioned in such a way that I could read the part number on it. (I don't actually know if this correlates to a hybrid head, but I'm sure it could help someone)
You can see here that the number starts with 96 (it is upside down though)

In this one, 4 lobes down, the next bit is DA which makes up the hybrid 96DA number.

Also, in regards to the springs. I think they are actually conical. I measured the top and I got 28mm and then about halfway down the spring it measured 32mm-ish. (my verniers are too big to fit inside the head properly to measure the bottom of the spring)

Another thing, I have read that the EB-EL models have 8.7mm valve stems and that Hybrid and AU's have 7mm valve stems.
This is what I measured mine at. (I apologise for the blurriness)

can anyone advise me on what I have found?

Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2006 BF XR8 Boss 260

New Zealand

Hybrid 100%

Current...
XY Faker Project...
EL XR6 Work Hack...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next