EL Intake Mods 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: EL Intake Mods
Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:57 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL XR6

VIC, Australia

I have heard that the EL intake is restrictive from the airbox to the throttle body. i know the elbow would have someting to do with it considering it has ripples in it. ne ways i was wondering if a larger intake pipe from the airbox to the throttle body would make any difference to the airflow with a new filter to replace the restrictive old paper ones...

EL XR6, 5 Speed Manual, Extractors, Exhaust, 3" Intake, EL GT Intake, Alpine sound system,lowered, 136rwkw.. to come.. another sub and boot install

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 34 images

Ride: BF MK11 XR 6 TURBO ZF 6spd

Power: 225 rwkw

NSW, Australia

yes, the el pipe does have the rippled rubber connector 90 degree angle piece and is a lil restrictive to air flow... plus how the plastic pipe is a lil restrive in changing to a smaller diametre pipe where the piping connects into the air box...
theres 3-4 3 inch mandrel bent intakes that make a decent gain compared to the stock intake pipes....

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 97 EL XR6

Power: 162 rwkw

NSW, Australia

yeah it is restrictive, the main restriction is at the back of the air box where that plate is bolted on to it, it has a reduced internal diameter of about 55mm. i removed that plate and replaced the black pipe that leads up to the elbow with a staight 3" pipe with a pod that sits in the box. i also replaced the plastic pipe on the other side of the flex bend to the throttle body and u need a 60 deg bend for that, cost me $60 for the 2 stainless 3" peices, and that opened it up noticably... about the best u can do without getting a full stainless intake pipe that will cost u well over $200, hope i explained that well enough...

07 BF MKII XR6T
310rwkw @ 13psi - Tuned By CMS

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:34 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

I fitted a BA air box to throttle body pipe to my EL, you need to stretch it slightly bit it fits OK. I do not know how much it improved performance as I had fitted Pacemaker headers at the same time. Wrecker would have BA part

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:38 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

Just remember any metal pipe in the engine bay gets bloody hot. Wrap up in heat tape all you would end up losing power once the pipe becomes heat soaked.

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:39 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL XR6

VIC, Australia

thanx alot ill remember that. oh ive measured up all the dimensions of the airbox to throttle body and the bracket that is is the back of the airbox was going to be the first thing to go!!!

EL XR6, 5 Speed Manual, Extractors, Exhaust, 3" Intake, EL GT Intake, Alpine sound system,lowered, 136rwkw.. to come.. another sub and boot install

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:40 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

noble001 wrote:
I fitted a BA air box to throttle body pipe to my EL, you need to stretch it slightly bit it fits OK. I do not know how much it improved performance as I had fitted Pacemaker headers at the same time. Wrecker would have BA part

any pics????????????????????

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]