EL Intake vs. EF 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: EL Intake vs. EF
Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:27 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghiaaaaa!

VIC, Australia

This may be a stupid question, but its kinda been bugging me for awhile.
Does the EF intake have any advantage over the EL one? The reason I ask is the EF setup dosen't have such a sharp turn into the throttle body unlike the EL, the EF's pipe is 3" straight out of the airbox where as the EL is smaller. One would think the EL being newer the setup would be better, but is this actually the case? I've got a EF XR6 intake on my EL Fairmont Ghia and is it actually going to be any better than the stock setup? One thing that came to mind is the hose inside the EF airbox (which I have fitted) isn't 3" at the inlet, thus this would be restricting airflow, so pretty much it would be the same amount of restriction as the smaller pipe on the EL coming from the air box?

Also on the topic, would making a pod filter setup for it to fit in my airbox be worth it, or should I just keep the panel filter? And is an EL GT snorkle better than the AU XR one? (Damn the stupid crappy stock one :evil: )

Thanks in advance :)

Whiteline'd

Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

iv got best of both worlds, 3inch el intake metal, 3 inch all way into the 3inch ef air box lool.. then with an el gt snorkel and a panel k and n.. and my el fairmont driving nice.

Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:15 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

My setup,

- AU3 XR intake (now have an SS inductions intake)
- K&N Panel
- 3 inch airbox lid (removed the EL 'bellmouth')
- 3" pipe all the way to the EL elbow (it's at least 3" all the way through anyway).

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

this debate has been done a few times before. it all depends what you compare. according to jim mock the ef intake was one of the best flowing for a STOCK setup. when you start comparing it to some of the custom setup's people have then it could very well be a diff story. my previous car was an ef xr6 and i never bothered modding the intake apart from the t series snorkel (embossed with tickford logo) as there was not a lot of gain to be had considering the lack of other mods and the purpose of my car. i never even bothered with a k&n filter as to get more flow you have the negative effect of less filtration. my current ride has a pod setup in the std airbox. not sure if its any better than a panel filter but thats how i bought it so thats how it will stay. for the sake of 5kw (i doubt it would be any more) i couldn't be bothered stuffing around with it.

there is a wealth of opinions and examples on this site so use the search feature and browse around.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]