Fordmods Logo

El knock sensor location & picture please. 

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: El knock sensor location & picture please.
Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:22 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL Wagon, DF LTD

VIC, Australia

AussieXR6Grunt wrote:
steedy wrote:
Apologies for the thread hijack! My brother-in-law said that the knock sensor could possibly affect fuel economy to a degree? Because mine's shocking (up around 18-19L/100) and he said that if its buggered it can back off the timing to the point where it hinders your consumption.

In any case, next full tank I'll unplug it to see if it makes a difference. But it looks like a pain to get to for someone without nimble hands? Almost as bad as changing the dizzy!

i would be changing the 02 sensor first like SWC above pointed out..my ba xr6 was going through alot of fuel when i first bought it and after i serviced it and changed a few things the thing purs like a kitten now..the new 02 sensor on its own did wonders.

Yeah, I sorta wished that it had had more of an effect. O2 sensor, plugs, leads, dizzy, air oil and fuel filters, cleaned throttle body, took out injectors and pulse cleaned them with carby cleaner (the car had been sitting for about a year before I bought it, and on advice from our mechanic gave them a clean to get rid of some possible wax buildups over that time). Of course, all that needed to be done for general maintenance anyway, but didn't really improve the fuel consumption

But back on topic, has anyone heard of the knock sensor affecting fuel consumption at all? It sounds plausible, but I wouldn't think it'd be that drastic

The gene pool could do with a little bit of chlorine...

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:29 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 2004 Ba Xr6

VIC, Australia

steedy wrote:
AussieXR6Grunt wrote:
steedy wrote:
Apologies for the thread hijack! My brother-in-law said that the knock sensor could possibly affect fuel economy to a degree? Because mine's shocking (up around 18-19L/100) and he said that if its buggered it can back off the timing to the point where it hinders your consumption.

In any case, next full tank I'll unplug it to see if it makes a difference. But it looks like a pain to get to for someone without nimble hands? Almost as bad as changing the dizzy!

i would be changing the 02 sensor first like SWC above pointed out..my ba xr6 was going through alot of fuel when i first bought it and after i serviced it and changed a few things the thing purs like a kitten now..the new 02 sensor on its own did wonders.

Yeah, I sorta wished that it had had more of an effect. O2 sensor, plugs, leads, dizzy, air oil and fuel filters, cleaned throttle body, took out injectors and pulse cleaned them with carby cleaner (the car had been sitting for about a year before I bought it, and on advice from our mechanic gave them a clean to get rid of some possible wax buildups over that time). Of course, all that needed to be done for general maintenance anyway, but didn't really improve the fuel consumption

But back on topic, has anyone heard of the knock sensor affecting fuel consumption at all? It sounds plausible, but I wouldn't think it'd be that drastic

i have read stuff on the internet about it and it says it can adjust fuel consumption by the way the motor is acting up itll adjust timing and fuel consumption somethin like that but yer id say it would

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:33 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

AussieXR6Grunt wrote:
i have read stuff on the internet about it and it says it can adjust fuel consumption by the way the motor is acting up itll adjust timing and fuel consumption somethin like that but yer id say it would

Yeah, it'd have to be completely buggered i think. Im not sure how long knock sensors are meant to last, but the car's done 165000 ish

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:42 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

steedy wrote:
AussieXR6Grunt wrote:

Yeah, it'd have to be completely buggered i think. Im not sure how long knock sensors are meant to last, but the car's done 165000 ish

I am not saying it isn't possible, but I have never heard of anyone replacing a knock sensor, other than a broken one. My current motor is edging close to 400,000km with the original knock sensor.

Check you air temp sensor first, below your throttle body, it would be more likely to be stuffed than a knock sensor.

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:48 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

SWC wrote:
steedy wrote:
AussieXR6Grunt wrote:

I am not saying it isn't possible, but I have never heard of anyone replacing a knock sensor, other than a broken one. My current motor is edging close to 400,000km with the original knock sensor.

Check you air temp sensor first, below your throttle body, it would be more likely to be stuffed than a knock sensor.

Phrased that a bit wrong, what I meant was that it would have to be absolutely cactus for it to throw the timing out that far that it affects the fuel economy that much, if at all. Because I haven't noticed any power loss or any other major signs of the timing being that far out of whack

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:54 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

steedy wrote:

never,
the knock sensor picks up knock/ pinging, the ecu only removes a few degrees of timing when knock is detected, when the knock sensor fails it just dont detect knock anymore, so no timing will be removed, worse case is the engine will ping..

why not do a diagnostic on ecu for codes???
if the sensor has failed the ecu will store it as a code....

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:01 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
steedy wrote:

never,
the knock sensor picks up knock/ pinging, the ecu only removes a few degrees of timing when knock is detected, when the knock sensor fails it just dont detect knock anymore, so no timing will be removed, worse case is the engine will ping..

Did one about a month ago, the only one i got from memory was a 172 i think, always running lean...
I guess the ecu then tries to overcompensate with more fuel?

Might be worth noting that I only started getting that code about a month ago. the other times i had check them before that, I didnt get it

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:09 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

steedy wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:
steedy wrote:

never,

Did one about a month ago, the only one i got from memory was a 172 i think, always running lean...
I guess the ecu then tries to overcompensate with more fuel?

Might be worth noting that I only started getting that code about a month ago. the other times i had check them before that, I didnt get it

O2 sensor is stuffed.....

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:12 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

SWC wrote:

I'll give it a shot putting the old one back in to see if there's any difference, good thing I kept it

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:14 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

steedy wrote:
SWC wrote:

I'll give it a shot putting the old one back in to see if there's any difference, good thing I kept it

If the O2 sensor stuffs out, it will read lean, thus ECU will compensate by dumping more fuel, thus excessive fuel consumption................. :shock:

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:26 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

SWC wrote:
steedy wrote:
SWC wrote:

If the O2 sensor stuffs out, it will read lean, thus ECU will compensate by dumping more fuel, thus excessive fuel consumption................. :shock:

The fuel consumption's been around the 18L/100km mark ever since I got the thing in may. Changed the O2 sensor around august with no improvement, then noticed this code around the end of november.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2