EL motor into XH ute 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: EL motor into XH ute
Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:11 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Falcon XH Ute

WA, Australia

Hi all,
I've been playing around with Raiders and Couriers for a few years but now I'm onto falcons after my trust XH ute got a cracked head while running through the country side. Pressed for time I managed to pick up a cheap EL motor (I thought was the same as the XH). I didn't realise how many differences each of the engines have. The commercial vehicles are basically the same from 90 through to 2005. Anyway I've pulled out the old engine and fitted the new with no problems. Kept the old AC compressor and just swapped over the bracket, swapped tensioner etc.

Now when it comes to starting her back up there's nothing. I hear the fuel pump prime, and get a click from a relay near the battery and that's it. I'm using the EL motor, manifold/air intake, XH computer and harness. All of the plugs matched up but I used the XH engine harness because the EL had a different plug to the main loom.

I'm sure its a stupid little over sight on my behalf but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Post subject: Re: EL motor into XH ute
Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: XG

VIC, Australia

Does it turn over, Could be flat battery or even fuel lines on the wrong way...?

XG Ute - 3 Seater - Auto - Dual Fuel

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:56 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Thanks for your reply oze-ford
I should have mentioned that I thought that was the problem but the battery holds charge and I have trickle charged it for a few days with the same result. It won't crank so I believe that it is an electrical issue.

The starter motor is my original and was working fine before the conversion.

Running an XH computer with an EL motor wouldn't stop ignition would it?

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: XG

VIC, Australia

Nah since your using all the xh engines accessories on the el engine, should work same has it did, however starter not working will most likely be a electrical problem.

XG Ute - 3 Seater - Auto - Dual Fuel

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:34 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Did you plug in the red wire on the starter motor?

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:37 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Just checked under the car and it wasn't... Plugged it in and now the the starter motor makes a loud mechanical click (cheers SWC).

The motor still won't turn over. I've pulled out the starter motor grabbed a few wires and earthed it off the gear box and when I turned the ignition on the started motor spun. So now its something mechanical. :x

When I bolted the gearbox up there wasn't any issues. I'm using the XH gearbox and unbolted the torque converter off my old engine and bolted it straight up to the new, I had to turn the motor to get all the bolts for the torque converter in so the motor isn't seized. Could the gear (I think its referred to as a flexi plate) on which the started motor meshes have a different offset and be fouling with the starter motor? I'm using the EL gear not the one off my XH motor.

Thanks again for the help!

Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: S1 eb 5speed

NSW, Australia

I had a mate with a similar issue.
Check to make sure you're earth from the body to block is bolted on and on to the correct place. The block, not a alloy part.

Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:50 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Pipes_3232 wrote:
Just checked under the car and it wasn't... Plugged it in and now the the starter motor makes a loud mechanical click (cheers SWC).

The motor still won't turn over. I've pulled out the starter motor grabbed a few wires and earthed it off the gear box and when I turned the ignition on the started motor spun. So now its something mechanical. :x

When I bolted the gearbox up there wasn't any issues. I'm using the XH gearbox and unbolted the torque converter off my old engine and bolted it straight up to the new, I had to turn the motor to get all the bolts for the torque converter in so the motor isn't seized. Could the gear (I think its referred to as a flexi plate) on which the started motor meshes have a different offset and be fouling with the starter motor? I'm using the EL gear not the one off my XH motor.

Thanks again for the help!

Flex plate is the same, so you should have no worries there. Try turning the motor over by hand and see if it binds. Pull the plugs first, it will be easier with no compression.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]