Fordmods Logo

el or au motor for my el? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: el or au motor for my el?
Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:03 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EL Futura

QLD, Australia

So my el has done another aux shaft and its time to bin that bottom end, ive got a big cam sitting around that I would like to go in the new engine. How do I go about getting 11:1 comp? Should I use an au bottom end or el? Also what is involved in getting rid of the dizzy and going coil packs? Ive already got a ported tickford head with 30 thou off that I want to use. Are bigger valves worth it?
Thanks heaps in advance

Post subject: Re: el or au motor for my el?
Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

Hello,

In your position. I would buy an EL motor with a genuine Dizzy and fit it. It will go right in and work. An EF engine will need the harness and ECU. Different fan setup also. Most Aux shaft failures seem to be from cheap Chinese Dizzy's. Remember, the EF had issues which is why the EL got the Dizzy back. AU is a better motor but more work to fit.

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef falcon futura

Power: 154 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Over 10 yrs with my old ef in the family with no coilpack issues, and 3 yrs on this one with no issues.

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:00 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

96ELGli wrote:
Hello,

In your position. I would buy an EL motor with a genuine Dizzy and fit it. It will go right in and work. An EF engine will need the harness and ECU. Different fan setup also. Most Aux shaft failures seem to be from cheap Chinese Dizzy's. Remember, the EF had issues which is why the EL got the Dizzy back. AU is a better motor but more work to fit.

from what i understand Aux shaft failures are more because most people DON'T change over the drive cog at the base of the dizzy. An EF motor won't need the harness & ECU unless you want to change it all over & AU just needs the sump cut at the front as thats the only major problem re fitting [minor ones re wiring & sensors & two bolts for bellhousing]. not sure if your cam would fit/run in AU head

Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:30 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

96ELGli wrote:
Hello,

EF Engine can be used with a dizzy with nil issues. You just use the EL Wiring Loom and fit the dizzy to the EF Engine.

The coil packs on the EF and AUI (Same pack) were not as good as the coil packs on the AUII/III but the system is far in advance of the dizzy.

Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:33 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

SWC wrote:

EF Engine can be used with a dizzy with nil issues. You just use the EL Wiring Loom and fit the dizzy to the EF Engine.

The coil packs on the EF and AUI (Same pack) were not as good as the coil packs on the AUII/III but the system is far in advance of the dizzy.

i have a EF motor in me EB2

Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:40 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

sliding6 wrote:
So my el has done another aux shaft and its time to bin that bottom end, ive got a big cam sitting around that I would like to go in the new engine. How do I go about getting 11:1 comp? Should I use an au bottom end or el? Also what is involved in getting rid of the dizzy and going coil packs? Ive already got a ported tickford head with 30 thou off that I want to use. Are bigger valves worth it?
Thanks heaps in advance

The AU bottom end is much smoother and except for the rods, stronger than the EF/EL Engines. Rods in the EF/EL are stronger than the AU Rods but unless you are going for stupid power NA, I would see no issues with the AU Rods. I have seen AU Rods take 260RwKw in boosted applications with no problems. Above that, it can be a lottery.

If you use an AU Block, you can use the E series head on it with no issues as long as you use the compatable cam and rockers.

If you want to go coil pack, look at TimmyA's conversion in his ED. He set up the AU wiring/ECU/Coilpack. The AU system is better than either the EF or EL.

To achieve 11:1 comp, you will need to rebuild the block using flattop pistons and if you are doing that I would look at stronger rods at the same time. Take it out 20thou and go from there.

Bigger valves will be an improvement on what you have and with 11:1, I would say a neccesity.

Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

Hello,

If the Aux shaft is stuffed, for Cost speed of repair and simplicity I suggested the EL with original Dizzy. There are better things to put in, but to get it going simple fast and cheap. IMO.

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:31 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

96ELGli wrote:
Hello,

If the Aux shaft is stuffed, for Cost speed of repair and simplicity I suggested the EL with original Dizzy. There are better things to put in, but to get it going simple fast and cheap. IMO.

to get up and running you could use any ..... even me EA 3.9 :lol:

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:47 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

So I might get another motor built for it. I want to go bigger valves, shave the head more, bore it out 20 thou and fly cut the pistons. Wanting 11:1 comp. Anyone have a rough idea how much this would all cost? Thanks everyone for your help

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:36 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

If you shave the head too much, you will wind up with chain slap on the timing chain.

To get the motor done properly, thousands of $.

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:06 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Maybe $4000? Also are stock rods fine for my needs?

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:00 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Example from Spool on a Rod and Piston Package, nearly $2000.00

http://www.spoolimports.com/spool-conro ... ed-pistons

You can use BA F6 rods with BA Pistons in the SOHC as another option. Same thing I an running in my 4.0 AU block.

I think you need to be looking at a bit more than $4000.00 to do the job properly.

If using the EF/EL block, you can get High Flow Oil Pumps, none are available for the AU Block (or Hybrid EL for that matter).

The AU is a better balanced engine compared to the EF/EL and the EF/EL is better balance than the EB Block. ED were a bit of a mix from early to late.

Take into consideration that you will get what you pay for.

Cheap, Power and Reliability do no come in one package. You can have cheap and power but reliable?

Power and reliablity do not come cheap as you will find out.

Hunt around, do your research and add up the numbers. Don't go overborad as you will still want to keep it streetable.

You may find in the longrun that boost will give you a better return on power v $.

Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:58 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 2001 xr6 ford falcon

NSW, Australia

Sorry to jump In but does anyone now if u can put a ef auto in my au xr6 ?

Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:28 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

01xr6 wrote:
Sorry to jump In but does anyone now if u can put a ef auto in my au xr6 ?

Just start you own thread, it's not bloody hard. You asked this question yesterday and it was anwsered.

Yes, you can use the EF 4 speed BTR in your AU, just use the AU Bellhousing.

You asked this question yesterday and it was anwsered.
gearbox-suspension-brake-driveline-f4/will-el-auto-box-go-in-my-au-xr6-t128814.html

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]