Fordmods Logo

EL surging issues 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: EL surging issues
Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:10 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL

NSW, Australia

I have a 98 el falcon with the hybrid motor and auto in it, k&n filter, AUXR8 III snorkel, extractors and 2.5" mandrel bent redback exhaust with hiflow cat. Now the problem i have is that the motor has started to surge from around 25 - 2800 rpm to about 3500rpm and after that it revs just fine, not a problem. Ive replaced the leads, spark plugs and tried another coil and its still doing it, ive cleaned that isc thingy (shown in doco) and ive also reset the computer which seems to do little if anything at all, and the fuel filter has also been replaced. But something i have noticed is when i switch it from economy to power it dosent seem to be as bad so could there be something in regaurds to what controls the transmission and what controls the engine ?? Any help would be great,

Thanks

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:50 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EL Futura

NSW, Australia

i had a prob with my EL lately...fuel pump died...shortly before i had that exact problem. New pump is in and im getting way better peformance and fuel ecconomy,....its been suggested to me that it wasnt puting out the right pressure and therefore the spray from the injectors wasnt as good as it could have been hence less peformance and fuel ecconomy at certain rpm's...round the 2000-3000 mark. Thats all gone now since i replaced the pump...

i also found that an EA single point injecvtion pump has too high pressure for an EL (doesnt work well), car goes like crap n wont accelerate well at all...i now more than ever realise how much a fuel pump effects the peformance of the car.

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Its the fuel regulator that sets fuel presure

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:48 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

EBXR8380 wrote:
Its the fuel regulator that sets fuel presure

But if the pump isn't workng there'll be no pressure to regulate.

But it should b able to handle a higher pressure pump and be able to 'cut it down' to what is expected by the engine/ecu.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

QLD, Australia

How easy is it to change the Fuel Pump and much do they usually cost :?:

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:07 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

yep, not enough pressure it doesnt regulate it properly.

Pumps easy enough to change

6 screws in the boot u take out
then theres a adjustable bracket around this black lock thing...6mm (or was it 8mm) spanner you can eventually remove it,..tricky but its possible

then the lock thing on the tops plastic...really hard to get off but a hammer and screw driver you can turn it slowly

assuming you have already disconnected the fuel lines and electrical lines just lift the pump out and replace it with another one and do the above in the reverse order.

only prob you may find are the connectors on the top for the fuel lines may differ (as they made a few types)...soooo all you can do is take the actual pump off the bracket and reattach it to your old pumps bracket...

while doing this be careful not to hurt the float as you wont get a good reading on your fuel level in the future.

alosoooooo...mark the possition of the pump origionally n put the new 1 in the same possition, the further to the left its twisted the higher the level sits, the further to the right the lower...you need to make it reasonably accurate.

you know how people say 'i never let my car get below 1/4 a tank so the junk in the bottom dosnt get in the car'...well thats good...but a better reason for you not to let it go below 1/4 is so the pump always has petrol around it. The pump is 'cooled' by the surrounding petrol...if it gets to low and all it does is suck it up...it will overheat and shorten its life...so if you always let the car run low...think about that next time...its not just the particles its the temp of the pump.

Andrew

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:32 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

i didnt accutally think about it being the fuel pump only becuase it seems to run fine after 3500 ish rpm. I am a person because of the km's i do, i let my tank run low nearly every week, usually putting up to and plus 60ltrs in it, so maybe ive been the cause for this problem if it is the pump, is there a easy way to test if its the pump or not before i go out and buy another one ??

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:50 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

yep...disconnect the line at the fuel filter (under the rhs rear passenger door) and measure the flow when you turn the key (without turning over the engin). Im unsure what the volume should be but im sure somoene can tell you.

Also you might want to replace the filter...

i used to do the same thing, let it run really low...now i know it also cools it ill never be doing it again...pump was 250,000kms old...i owned the car for 6 months n it dies....maybe it was its age...or maybe it was the way i treated it...either way thats no reason to take risks.

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:54 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

I think my car might be doing the same thing. I sometime get a flat spot in my acceleration between 1500 and 3000 rpm, pulls like a 14 year boy beyond that. Doesn't happen all the time though. Is this what you mean by surge?

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:15 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

kodak wrote:
I think my car might be doing the same thing. I sometime get a flat spot in my acceleration between 1500 and 3000 rpm, pulls like a 14 year boy beyond that. Doesn't happen all the time though. Is this what you mean by surge?

Yer it kinda feels at first like a flat spot but you can feel the car wanting to go and u see the tacho needle slowly struggle to go around but after it hits 3500ish it comes to life again.

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:21 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: EF Falcon

WA, Australia

my mates car was doing this and the problem was he was low on water in his raiator and it was blocked. this lead tofluctating levels of water passing through the bottom radiator hose and over the senser this made his cars idol surge. dont know if its the same sort of thing but that is what his problem was

6 IN A ROW, THE WAY TO GO

- Lukey 2.5' Sports Exhaust, Genie Extractors, High flow Cat
- 18 grade tint
- King Spring Super Lows
- Plates (BONO'S)
- Neon Blue Dash
- Sony 350W 4 ways, Sony 900W Subs x 2, Sony MP3 Deck xls-3300, Boss 1000W 4 channel Amp
- 17" HP Racing - Design Rims

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:56 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

that would be a very rare case...sounds odd lol...

most surging problems are related to tuning, and as its automaticly done it links back to air / fuel mixture probs and the car not being able to keep them stable...sooo normally points to leaking inlet gasket problems, or some kinda of fuel system issue such as dirty injectors or incorrect fuel pressure and therefore the injector spray isnt as good as it could be. It tends to go away at higher rpm because the revs are higher and therefore the inconsistancy'z in the air/fuel going in are not as noticable, but they still exist.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]