el thermostat 

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: el thermostat
Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 96 EL XR6

QLD, Australia

hey everyone, (my car is NOT on LPG)

the thermostat in my car is stuck open, therefore to my understanding the bypass would be open too yeah? I havnt had any dramas with my car heating, cooling, etc. although I reckon she takes abit too long to reach operating temp by my cluster in diag mode.

I want to throw a 82degree thermostat in her so she remains at the temperature it runs at, at the moment. now I don't care if "it shouldn't have that low a thermostat in it" etc. I don't care. its my car, so lets not argue. my cluster in diag mode runs between 83* and 90* max and my fuel consumption is great, (for an XR anyway :wink: ) and I like it like this.

now what I want to know is.. will putting a non bypass thermostat in it hurt anything?? (like I said I assume the bypass type in there now would be open as well as the thermostat) the heater etc works fine at the moment (have to wait until the car is partially warm until warm air comes out), but will putting a non bypass type in achieve warm up in decent time like I want? because I can get a 82* non bypass thermostat for $17, but the bypass type at 82* is $40.. I don't mind paying 40 if its NEEDED, but id prefer to keep $23 dollars in my wallet lol.

from the research I have done it seems that the bypass type allows the heater to blow hot air straight after engine start up?? and I don't need this, so if I can run a non bypass type all will be well and good.

thank you everyone for your time, and sorry for the book long paragraph :roll: :twisted:

EL XR6, T5 Speed - Full Factory Fitted Tickford Body Kit, AU Engine, Billet Camtech 845 Cam, J3 Chip, MLS Gasket, Intake, Extractors, High flow cat, 2 1/2in exhaust, K&N Air Filter, 3.45 LSD, - My Pride and Joy

Post subject: Re: el thermostat
Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:05 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EL Falcon / XG Panelvan

hey mate, should run a normal thermostat in ya car, I don't understand this bypass non bypass talk, if you want your car to run properly run a thermostat, they are designed to stop hot water going straight into your motor, so the radiator actually has a chance to cool the water.

I don't really know what you were saying.

Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Its still running a thermostat. Bypass and non bypass are different types of thermostats

EL XR6, T5 Speed - Full Factory Fitted Tickford Body Kit, AU Engine, Billet Camtech 845 Cam, J3 Chip, MLS Gasket, Intake, Extractors, High flow cat, 2 1/2in exhaust, K&N Air Filter, 3.45 LSD, - My Pride and Joy

Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:16 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EL Falcon / XG Panelvan

Okay

Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NA Fairlane, DC LTD

NT, Australia

If by bypass you mean it has a little hole drilled in the flat edge of it (possibly with a small plug like object hooked in it) then basically that is to stop air getting trapped behind the thermostat and giving you issues with trying to bleed the system when filling it up.

The bypass should be minimal flow anyway (often the small plug is designed to block the hole once water starts flowing through the engine)

That is the only difference I have found between them (I've used both before), easier to fill up and bleed. Personally I prefer a small hole and have even drilled out a 2mm hole in one once when I needed it to bleed.

Remember that the heater runs off the hot water in the engine, so I think the amount of time you could use the heater wouldn't be reduced much, in fact maybe even take longer because the water is flowing earlier and not warming up as quick?

Getting a little too technical there though....

My advise, buy the cheap one and put a little bypass hole in it to assist filling/bleeding.. Then just change your temp rating if you want it opening earlier or later..

Also, how do you know the current one is stuck open? have you had it out yet?

[color=#004080]Cheers, Jacob.

NA Fairlane Build thread:
the-garage-f53/my-fairlane-build-lowlane-t94891.html.
Also in the garage....
AU LTD, DC LTD, and Lowlane.

Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:52 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

I am assuming from what you are describing as "Bypass" and "Non Bypass" thermostats are;

Bypass = Gas Thermostat

Non Bypass = Standard (petrol) Thermostat.

As for the 82deg Thermostat, just be aware that going to cols will keep your ECU in cold start mode. I did this and wondered why my Fuel Economy crapped out. Changed the Thermostat to a standard temp unit and economy came back with no issues to running the car. Be aware that with the temperature gauge in the middle there is no problem with that. While the large area of Normal seems like it is a big temperature range it is actaually not.

Anyway that is my two Bobs worth, take it or leave it, up to you.

Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

No i havnt had it out, but i replaced it at one stage with a 92 deg one, but at cruising it sits on 82 deg by the cluster in diag mode, so pretty good sign its stuck open, and "bypass and non bypass" is the different thermostats, bypass has the flat foot on the bottom which sits over the heater pipe in the thermostat housing, and the non bypass one does not.

Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

SWC wrote:
I am assuming from what you are describing as "Bypass" and "Non Bypass" thermostats are;

Bypass = Gas Thermostat

Non Bypass = Standard (petrol) Thermostat.

As for the 82deg Thermostat, just be aware that going to cols will keep your ECU in cold start mode. I did this and wondered why my Fuel Economy crapped out. Changed the Thermostat to a standard temp unit and economy came back with no issues to running the car. Be aware that with the temperature gauge in the middle there is no problem with that. While the large area of Normal seems like it is a big temperature range it is actaually not.

Anyway that is my two Bobs worth, take it or leave it, up to you.

Okay thanks SWC, like i said my cluster in diag mode at the moment reads from 82* to 90* depending on cruising or sitting in traffic, and fuel economy seems fine,

I must have "bypass and non bypass" the wrong way, well then i have a non bypass one (petrol with the foot on the bottom of the thermostat)
Just wanna know if theres any problem sticking a "bypass" one in it?

Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:04 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

No real issue, it will just take longer to heat up as water is bypassing to heat the non existant LPG Convertor.

Fitting a Non Bypass (Standard petrol) Thermostat to a LPG equiped car will cause issues as the Convertor will freeze.

Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NT, Australia

I have seen ones with the extra long bottom part, looks like it sits over the hole to the heater bypass pipe on the lower housing.. for that part I wouldn't be too worried, use price to determine if you want it ;)

Pay for the cheaper one, and get it at whatever rating you want to do, hotter or colder..

Going by what SWC said, just get a standard temp thermostat, save mucking around, cant beat an already tried method. ;)

I've often gutted mine so its constant flow, and used both bypass and normal types, never paid enough attention to fuel consumption and I've got my thermo's hooked to a switch I manually turn them on when my gauge goes over 90ish..

Also in the garage....

Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

SWC wrote:
No real issue, it will just take longer to heat up as water is bypassing to heat the non existant LPG Convertor.

Fitting a Non Bypass (Standard petrol) Thermostat to a LPG equiped car will cause issues as the Convertor will freeze.

Okay, but the heater line it "bypasses" just runs around the head and back to the end of the water pump.. and to the "heater" lines for the cabin air.. and as the waterpump pushes coolant through the block etc, and out the thermostat, if the thermostat is closed at cold, wouldnt the coolant just be pushed thru the un-bypassed heater line back to the water pump? Provided the heater was turned off?

Would the car be any slower heating up than a "stuck open" thermostat?

Cheers SWC, been greatly helpful.

Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Lowlane7 wrote:
I have seen ones with the extra long bottom part, looks like it sits over the hole to the heater bypass pipe on the lower housing.. for that part I wouldn't be too worried, use price to determine if you want it ;)

Pay for the cheaper one, and get it at whatever rating you want to do, hotter or colder..

Going by what SWC said, just get a standard temp thermostat, save mucking around, cant beat an already tried method. ;)

I've often gutted mine so its constant flow, and used both bypass and normal types, never paid enough attention to fuel consumption and I've got my thermo's hooked to a switch I manually turn them on when my gauge goes over 90ish..

Well that was my thought because it is just the heater lol.. but wasnt sure, i dont know what i want to do lol, i really like it running cooler but meh.. ill just have to make the desicion lol.

A gutted one would almost be the same as a stuck open one? I thought about leaving mine but it takes too long to warm up..

Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NT, Australia

It may do but it would probably be trivial amounts.. nothing worth worrying about.

Another option is to remove the bypass pipe all together.

Also in the garage....

Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:27 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

A LPG bypass Thermostat will heat up no slower than a gutted thermostat. It should actually heat up a bit quicked as the flow is much less being bypassed than a gutted thermostat.

Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

SWC wrote:
A LPG bypass Thermostat will heat up no slower than a gutted thermostat. It should actually heat up a bit quicked as the flow is much less being bypassed than a gutted thermostat.

Will heat up be better than with a stuck open thermostat?

Lowlane7 wrote:
It may do but it would probably be trivial amounts.. nothing worth worrying about.

Another option is to remove the bypass pipe all together.

That will be a job when i next have to replace the inlet manifold gasket haha, which has just been done so wont be for quite a while :twisted:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next