EL Tickford I6 Into EF GLi 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: EL Tickford I6 Into EF GLi
Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:00 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EF 5Sp Wagon

VIC, Australia

Alrighty,

So, I am new to this forum and I am not quite sure as to whether I have put this into the right category as it goes over a couple.

Anyway, so I have a blown motor in my EF GLi Wagon and what I want to do is put a EL Tickford i6 into the EF as I don't want to buy a new engine. I have the ECU, Loom and Engine (ofc) and I was wondering, I know in order to put the EL ECU in I have to use the EL Loom, but if I want to use the EL computer would that mean that I would have to use distributor instead of coil pack?

So in reality the question is, can I use the EL Loom, computer and engine while still using the coil pack? What would be the easiest way to go about it? (Note: I am not the mechanic, my dad is and I am just trying to work this out before going to him to help me with this)

Thanks

Post subject: Re: EL Tickford I6 Into EF GLi
Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef falcon futura

Power: 154 rwkw

VIC, Australia

no, cant use el ecu with coilpack. either use el loom ecu etc and dissy, or change all ef accessories over etc coilpack, cam synchroniser etc and use the ef loom and ecu. IMO that would be the easiest way. the block/head are exactly the same as an ef ticky. unless its a hybrid

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:32 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

spatian116 wrote:
Alrighty,

So, I am new to this forum and I am not quite sure as to whether I have put this into the right category as it goes over a couple.

Anyway, so I have a blown motor in my EF GLi Wagon and what I want to do is put a EL Tickford i6 into the EF as I don't want to buy a new engine. I have the ECU, Loom and Engine (ofc) and I was wondering, I know in order to put the EL ECU in I have to use the EL Loom, but if I want to use the EL computer would that mean that I would have to use distributor instead of coil pack?

So in reality the question is, can I use the EL Loom, computer and engine while still using the coil pack? What would be the easiest way to go about it? (Note: I am not the mechanic, my dad is and I am just trying to work this out before going to him to help me with this)
Thanks

Use the EF Loom, ECU and accessories, it is a much simpler process. You may need to change the timing case as some EL cases did not have provision for the Crank angle sensor, ensure that the harmonic balancer has the "teeth" on it as well.

Rempove the Dizzy and take the gear from it and fit to the cam sensor from the EF. This way the gears will match and save possible issues down the track. You will need to use the Passenger side EF engine mount as this has the provision for mounting the Coilpack. All other sensors are the same.

Check your water pump while the engine is out and replace it if it is suspect, also check the heater pipe that runs around the block to the water pump and if suspect, change it.

Also before you put the new engine in, I would replace the welch plugs all round as well as the rear main seal. If you don't want to do all the welch plugs then at least do the rear one as well as the rear main oil seal. If these leak then it is gearbox out to replace them. Check you sump gasket as well before fitting.

Also make sure you use the EF Alternator as this is 110amp and an EL is 100amp.

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:02 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EF 5Sp Wagon

VIC, Australia

ranga83 wrote:
no, cant use el ecu with coilpack. either use el loom ecu etc and dissy, or change all ef accessories over etc coilpack, cam synchroniser etc and use the ef loom and ecu. IMO that would be the easiest way. the block/head are exactly the same as an ef ticky. unless its a hybrid

I did completely forget to mention I think, it is on gas.

Thanks for your help guys, I really appreciate it!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]