Fordmods Logo

EL to EF Intake System 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: EL to EF Intake System
Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:40 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EL Futura

VIC, Australia

A while ago I bought an airtake EF system, you know allt he plastic stuff and finally decided to have a look at it today, the only problem I found is that the EL have a big chunk of metal thing which wires and crap hanging out..Where as the EF sytem does not, how do I fix that?

Post subject: Re: EL to EF Intake System
Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

VIC, Australia

I wonder if you could do with having another look. They should swap pretty easy. I don't think i would do this swap though.

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:10 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

relaxed_diplomacy wrote:
I wonder if you could do with having another look. They should swap pretty easy. I don't think i would do this swap though.

Why not?

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

EL has the same output power as the EF.. and doesn't need ugly heat retaining reams of plastic to do it.

If you want better breathing, to the chrome 3 inch pipe route, looks better and reflects heat away

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:42 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Can you explain that a little more please? Im not really an engine guy..so not much knowledge under the hood.

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

NathanEL wrote:
Can you explain that a little more please? Im not really an engine guy..so not much knowledge under the hood.

The actual flow properties of the EF intake are better than the EL with its twin pipe smooth entry to the throttle body, compared to the EL's 90 degree bend. But the EF plastic retains heat every bloody where.

The first problem is the air box (right next to the radiator expelled hot air and constantly picking up radiated heat from engine) which can get remarkably hot inside. Next problem is the pipes (particularly above the rocker cover as the rocker cover can hit 100 degree's!)... Next problem is the broad band manifold that can get above 80 degrees Celsius itself...

Bet you just want to know all about my theories, and therefore have included links at the bottom of this message.
;)

All this means HOT AIR into your combustion chamber. Basically, for every twenty degree's DECREASE in temperature you gain the equal to 1PSI of turbo boost.
Don't trust me - work it all out for yourself, as I have. Go talk to your local Physics nerds, as I have. Buy some expensive s**t and do some experiments, as I have.

Oh, that's starting to sound like a lot of time and effort. Maybe you should just trust me (until someone comes along and tells you otherwise...)

Personally, I wouldn't go with the 3" chrome pipe either. It will work, but is it really the best solution at the best price?

Here's my EF how it stood a little while ago. Not a lot has changed in this department, so picture is still valid. The bit of pipe before the throttle body is by far the best FORD made bit of plastic - It cost under $60NZ and is from a 2003 Falcon BA. It plugs straight on to the EF or EL or AU without any real modifying at all - just put a stretchy bit of rubber over the little nipple near the throttle body to block the hole that is there... The blue bit of flexi pipe is going straight into a 3" neck of a high flow pod filter. The metal box bit you see at the front replaces the cars original snorkel and re-directs the cold air from the front of the car to the pod, at the same time as providing a heat shield from expelled radiator air and engine bay temperatures.

Just what was your ideas behind going to the EF system? Personally, I prefer the EF over the EL. There are pro's and con's of both. I'd suggest the EF flows better at high revs, but the EL stays cooler......

Air pressures over hood http://www.fordmods.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=72008
65536.6 Phenolic Spacer http://www.fordmods.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72184
A comprehensive discussion of air intake... post913441.html#913441

That last link has some gold in it that everyone who mucks around with air intakes should read and take note of. [Snorkel owners...]

Last edited by fiend on Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:57 am 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

took the ef plastic crap of the misses car and replaced with the rubber el version,no difference in drivablity and mainly because it near killed her!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a chunck of the plastic, all abit brittle now, broke off and loged its self in the throtle body, jamed it at about 3000 rpm, silly woman rode the brakes for 2k's to get home, somehow she made it, should of seen the smoke off the front wheels

NC2 Fairlane AU2 Intech 4.0 Wolf V500 ECU Accel 500cc Injectors Eaton M90 Blower MPx Porting 75mm Mustang TB Intercooler Holley 255lph EL XR6 Rear End 3.45 LSD Duel Fuel lots more.
Long and Very Nice

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

frankieh wrote:
EL has the same output power as the EF.. and doesn't need ugly heat retaining reams of plastic to do it.

If you want better breathing, to the chrome 3 inch pipe route, looks better and reflects heat away

metal has a lower specific heat than the plastics used in the intake, aka it will heat up quicker...a chrome finish doesn't do much in the way of reflecting heat either, if you want that you need to go with a hpc coating (which you could mistake from chrome when looking at it i suppose).

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

xfpaul wrote:
a chunck of the plastic, all abit brittle now, broke off and loged its self in the throtle body, jamed it at about 3000 rpm, silly woman rode the brakes for 2k's to get home, somehow she made it, should of seen the smoke off the front wheels
Oh my bleeding gawd. That is truly an immaculate story. You should add it to the thread "I'm a a***, personal silly stories" found at viewtopic.php?f=6&t=74045

skidder wrote:
frankieh wrote:
metal has a lower specific heat than the plastics used in the intake, aka it will heat up quicker...a chrome finish doesn't do much in the way of reflecting heat either, if you want that you need to go with a hpc coating (which you could mistake from chrome when looking at it i suppose).
Yeahp- Agreed there. The black plastic stuff actually retains less heat and is quicker to cool down also. Chrome finishing anything actually attracts more heat.

The HPC Coating stuffs are well worth looking into - But I'd suggest getting your BBM done in the stuff would be more value than the pipe from air box / filter to throttle body. Costs around $300 for a manifold to be done, and you can get finishes that resemble chrome a little... This is on the list of things for me to do, but with my budget (or lack thereof) it happens to be well over the horizon as far as time frame is concerned.

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 97 EL XR6

Power: 162 rwkw

NSW, Australia

edit: sorry posted in wrong thread, was reading one of your many links fiend!!!

07 BF MKII XR6T
310rwkw @ 13psi - Tuned By CMS

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]