Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: BOXCAR

TAS, Australia

stockstandard wrote:
fordzatmyplace wrote:
WTF!!

I got one on my car and it gave me a bit more top end power! Just becuase its electric dosen't mean it can't produce the same power levels as a engine driven one :)

The problem isnt that its electric, its the amount of electricity drawn and the design of the fan.

There are some electric supercharges out there that do work, but they require extra batteries to be fitted and usually cost more than mechanically driven superchargers. This is because you need an electric motor that produces several HP to be able to spin an impeller with enough speed for the airflow and pressure required.

The other problem is that these electric supercharges are axial fans, not centrifugal fans. Axial fans can flow alot, which is why you see 800cfm+ of airflow being quoted, BUT they are very very poor when there is backpressure on the fan. Centrifugal fans are used in real turbo's and supercharges because they do work with back pressure so can actaully generate boost.

So they dont work because
a) wrong fan design, they might be able to keep up with the airflow of an engine but wont be able to generate boost

and b) the electric motors are simply too small.

But i didnt have to really say that because its all been said in NUMEROUS threads before.

lol i was just joking man! But that is still some useful info for the next person who asks :roll:

^^^ What He Said

<a href="http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44952" target="_blank" class="postlink"> TAS Cruises</a>

Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

Did a wiki on impeller and it seems that impellers ae designed for liquid and not really for air. It also says that they are like a propeller but have smaller blades.

OSX Dictionary wrote:
impeller |imˈpelər| noun the rotating part of a centrifugal pump, compressor, or other machine designed to move a fluid by rotation. • a similar device turned by the flow of water past a ship's hull, used to measure speed or distance traveled.

wikipedia wrote:
An impeller is a rotating component of a pump, usually made of iron, steel, aluminum or plastic, which transfers energy from the motor that drives the pump to the fluid being pumped by forcing the fluid outwards from the centre of rotation. Impellers are usually short cylinders with protrusions forming paddles to push the fluid and a splined center to accept a driveshaft.

HOLDENS go like rockets. They fall apart in stages!!!

Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

impellers are designed for fluids. Air is a fluid ;)

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 2003 BA XT

Power: 141 rwkw

WA, Australia

sort of :)

Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: au xr8 & 5.0 eb

VIC, Australia

ive actully seen one fitted to my old bosses car and when you turn it on and hold your hand over the other end of the pipe i felt nothing i think if someone f@rt in the other end it would of had more pressure,but hey the old boss belived brockys polorises worked aswell lol

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2