electric windows - suggestion for those with probs..possibly 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: electric windows - suggestion for those with probs..possibly
Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:11 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EL Futura

NSW, Australia

oki...i have a 97 el...and therefore, i have crap front electric windows that like to not go up.

Anyway ive been redoing my interior black and brown over the last 5 weeks and while doing the drivers door i decided id fix the electric window at the same time.

my 'fixing' failed terribly and i ended up buying another mechanism (the bracket regulator n all that) from the wreckers...set me back $70. However...it fixed the problem with the window.

Anyway my suggestion isnt go out and buy new electric window things. It is a question/ possible suggestion. Did EA-ED's have the same prob as EF/EL's have with their electric windows in the getting stuck'ness? The window gear i just put in my car was from an EB with electric windows...and well...logic tells me its older than an EL's electric window gear and why did it last longer?

so...yep maybe the trick is if u do replace it...replace it with the earlier models stuff?i considered converting my electric windows to windup windows due to this silly prob but meh...i like electric...ill fix it again next time when the day comes haha.

anyway b4 ppl ask...interior pics will come when the jobs done. Ive done about 1/2 inside and it looks awsome...but yeh...not finished yet.

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

New Zealand

My ea has the same prob witht hem getting stuck when i put my drivers one right down its bloody slow going up for the first half
and my 2 back switches one only goes up and one only goes down? and one of the back windows will only go half way down then make a loud ticking noise and same as when its right up make the same noise

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:36 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

o well there goes that idea...typical silly cars :(

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:40 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 2005 Hi-Ace

VIC, Australia

they all had the same problems EA-EL, when my front passenger one died (made weird grinding noises and getting stuck when going up) i used one from an EF Fairmont Ghia. also for some reason my windows are very quick to open and close in my ED but in my mates EL his a pretty slow. anyone know what causes them to go slow? i didnt do any special adjustments to make mine quick i just put them in.

2005 Toyota Hi-Ace aka ICE CUBE

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

would an AU/BA regulator be made to fit, are they any better?

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:15 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: eb ghia

VIC, Australia

i'm having this problem with my eb's F\R window at the moment. i have had my passanger front window die twice now, and replaced the switches in the middle console. is it just the switches that need to be replaced or is there something else?? being a smoker and winter coming up it really sucks when you can't get the window up and it starts raining! gotta fix.

cheers jb

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:20 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

John_xr6 wrote:
they all had the same problems EA-EL, when my front passenger one died (made weird grinding noises and getting stuck when going up) i used one from an EF Fairmont Ghia. also for some reason my windows are very quick to open and close in my ED but in my mates EL his a pretty slow. anyone know what causes them to go slow? i didnt do any special adjustments to make mine quick i just put them in.

EL's got the thickest glass out of the EA-EL range. Thicker again than EF's, but the cheap bastards at Ford still used the same window channel rubbers, which tend to catch dirt and crap in the channel, making it harder for the window to go up. This eventually causes something to get loose in the window motor and allow the window to easily move and tilt in the channel as its going up.

So now the window is dragging on the front channel, causing it to go slow.

I think its a combination of things over time that eventually lead to it. Only way to fix is keep the channels cleaned, and well well lubed.

I also suspect it has something to do with tinting the windows on EL's. Every EL I have seen with tint from start of its life had stuffed windows (like my ghia did, and I bought it when it was a little over 2 years old. The windows were rooted then). Same with my old mans NL Fairlane. Whereas, my mums NL (1997 build and bought by us in 2002) and other cars I've seen with no tint, the windows run up and down like new many years on.

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:26 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: BF Falcon SR

WA, Australia

Ok here is my two cents...

I am actually sitting in my car on my laptop fixing the power window, as it died last night.... As it turns out the cable guard had telescoped into itself, allowing the cable to have more slack, meaning no way was that window going to go back up, so while I have the door trim off, I have removed the glass and the window guides, and am in the process of cleaning them throughly... I have noticed a bit of build up, not dissilimar to the s**t that gets into the ISC, and am wiping it out. When that is done I am going to relube and give it a go....

ANyway what I noticed was that over time the window retaining bolts began to come loose, noticable by a yucky clunky noice when winding up or down.... ANyone else noticed this?

Just to let you know they were tight when the job was first completed, because I am not a slack a**.....

Proud owner of one of very few BF SR manual (June 06 build) :)

Nothing really says thankyou like a dollar in the waistband

[BLEMIN]

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/782173

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:56 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Ugly Igley wrote:
ANyway what I noticed was that over time the window retaining bolts began to come loose, noticable by a yucky clunky noice when winding up or down.... ANyone else noticed this?

Just to let you know they were tight when the job was first completed, because I am not a slack a**.....

I know sometimes the bolts come out, but mine have never done that.

My problem, and usually everyones problem I think, is that the plastic guide on the metal bracket that the window bolts too starts to wear badly, and this allows the window to move around while its going up.

To demonstrate, raise the window 1/3 of the way up, grab the top of the glass and move the window side to side. The window should rest against the back of the door when going up, as when this happens the windows usually work very well. When brand new, it still allowed a little movement, but not to this extent.

So now the guide is worn, the window tilts forward and drags along the channel, making it move very slowly up...

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Ugly Igley wrote:
Ok here is my two cents...

I am actually sitting in my car on my laptop fixing the power window, as it died last night.... As it turns out the cable guard had telescoped into itself, allowing the cable to have more slack, meaning no way was that window going to go back up, so while I have the door trim off, I have removed the glass and the window guides, and am in the process of cleaning them throughly... I have noticed a bit of build up, not dissilimar to the s**t that gets into the ISC, and am wiping it out. When that is done I am going to relube and give it a go....

yeah all my windows have slack in them. is there anyway to fix it as when you hold the window in where it should be and put it up iuts like brand new.

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:20 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

yer after pulling apart my passengers window today i have found its just the way the track grips to the bar guide thing. just plastic and it wears out...dodgy crap..well done ford...build f**k tough

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: TE50

QLD, Australia

heres a question

y is it soo much more slower when your window is wet? ie raining

Formerly SpuDEF

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA MkII XR6 Ute

VIC, Australia

its in the rubbers, they become 'stickier' when wet. same thing happens after washing the car.

or you could blame it on the fact that you want the window to go up quicker so the darn thing goes up slower.

We'll keep our cow s**t in the country, you keep your bull s**t in the city.

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:31 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

hahahaha yes! thats it, window goes slower cos u want it to go faster. Same reason the keyfob always seems to have bad range in the wet and doesnt unlock until u get right up next to the car but in the hot weather it opens a mile away

Post subject: Re: electric windows - suggestion for those with probs..poss
Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

ndroo wrote:
oki...i have a 97 el...and therefore, i have crap front electric windows that like to not go up.

Anyway ive been redoing my interior black and brown over the last 5 weeks and while doing the drivers door i decided id fix the electric window at the same time.

my 'fixing' failed terribly and i ended up buying another mechanism (the bracket regulator n all that) from the wreckers...set me back $70. However...it fixed the problem with the window.

Anyway my suggestion isnt go out and buy new electric window things. It is a question/ possible suggestion. Did EA-ED's have the same prob as EF/EL's have with their electric windows in the getting stuck'ness? The window gear i just put in my car was from an EB with electric windows...and well...logic tells me its older than an EL's electric window gear and why did it last longer?

so...yep maybe the trick is if u do replace it...replace it with the earlier models stuff?i considered converting my electric windows to windup windows due to this silly prob but meh...i like electric...ill fix it again next time when the day comes haha.

anyway b4 ppl ask...interior pics will come when the jobs done. Ive done about 1/2 inside and it looks awsome...but yeh...not finished yet.

Maybe the one you picked up from the wreckers wasn't used much, as I don't use mine very much either. I prefer windows to be up, so I hope my motors to last a long time.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next