Fordmods Logo

Eliminator Chip Tune on DEV 5 EL XR6 ...mixed results?????? 

Page 6 of 14 [ 206 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

arm79 wrote:

And not even a Ford tech knows how to set the timing on an EL I6, so I doubt whether most normal mechanics would either.

so no ford tech in the country knows how to do it??

Most 'normal' mechanics have more of idea about cars than most ford techs do. the problem is we don't just work on fords, and it's imposible to remember the exact procedure for EVERY CAR. hence we have countless workshop manuals and tune up books to use for references.

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: The DEVEL XR6

WA, Australia

I'll have to defend the BPT guys here ...cos they are a dedicated FORD performance shop ...and they know Fords like the back of their hands.

Just listening to Terry talk about Ford motors ...and it quickly becomes VERY obvious that he is an absolute GOLDMINE of information on Fords.

Terry himself owns an absolute monster 600HP supercharged ED XR8 ...just listening to that thing idle is sweet, deafening music to the ears.

They know their Fords ...and they will do anything to make sure their customers leave satisfied ...as MANY have ...E-AU-BF owners alike.

Hot Chilli Red EL XR6, 5-spd, JMM DEV 5 enhanced (161 rwkw custom tuned), Eliminator Switch Chip, 18" BA GTP rims, Pedders Superlows, BA XR6 badges, BA Sunroof, Pioneer Stereo, Splits, 6x9's, 10" sub, 700W 6-ch Viper amp.
QUARTER MILE PB: currently 14.590 @ 96.00 mph ...BOOST AHEAD!!

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Well, the mystery deepens ...get your noggins around this:

PULLED THE ELIMINATOR CHIP OFF, AND CHUCKED CHIPTORQUE CHIP BACK ON = Jumped up to 1000 rpm idle at start-up, then gradually down to 850 rpm ...but car idling and shaking like a V8 (not right, but COOL :lol: haha). Temp also coming up reasonably quickly as before.

PULLED CHIPTORQUE CHIP OFF, NOW RUNNING ON STOCK ECU = Sweet & smooth as at a solid 750 rpm idle, just sounded perfect. Temp now coming down from previous run. Also switched A/C on, idle came up and Thermos roared away quite happily. So basically as she should be running :wink:

Had Barry on the phone both times ...he went from wondering whether I had done a headgasket, to scratching his head about why BOTH chips would give a similar result, but not the stock ECU?

Well, at least I've had a good result ...might actually be able to take her out for a test run later :wink:

Any of you gurus have any ideas on the above?

Hot Chilli Red EL XR6, 5-spd, JMM DEV 5 enhanced (161 rwkw custom tuned), Eliminator Switch Chip, 18" BA GTP rims, Pedders Superlows, BA XR6 badges, BA Sunroof, Pioneer Stereo, Splits, 6x9's, 10" sub, 700W 6-ch Viper amp.

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

basicly from that, the stock tune is closer to what the engine wants.

still by looking your AFRs the feuling is very rich and needs attention.

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:49 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: EF Turbo & ED N/A 6

WA, Australia

+1 satisfied BPT customer.....

As I told ya on friday night mark :lol:

EF ECTIV
Garrett T04E, Custom grind 'Surecam', 55lbs injectors, polished plenum, 3 inch turbo exhaust,
T400 box, hi-stall, heavy duty tailshaft, KAAZ Diff with 3.91 ratio,
Coming Soon: Built forged motor & T04Z
"The ED" daily - SOLD
On the lookout for a cheap, stock EF

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:49 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: EF Turbo & ED N/A 6

WA, Australia

+1 satisfied BPT customer.....

As I told ya on friday night mark :lol:

EF ECTIV
Garrett T04E, Custom grind 'Surecam', 55lbs injectors, polished plenum, 3 inch turbo exhaust,
T400 box, hi-stall, heavy duty tailshaft, KAAZ Diff with 3.91 ratio,
Coming Soon: Built forged motor & T04Z
"The ED" daily - SOLD
On the lookout for a cheap, stock EF

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 97 EL XR6

Power: 162 rwkw

NSW, Australia

with it reverted back to the standard ecu its going to feel like a real dog, cos now itll have standard base timing and itll be running rich at the same time, it wont be anything special untill you push that timing forward again, BPT must have an idea of how far advanced it was, so get them to put it back to where it was and get it dynoed again, then compare this to your 'tuned' graph...

07 BF MKII XR6T
310rwkw @ 13psi - Tuned By CMS

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: 1999 XHII XR8, 2002 AU Fairmont

Power: 236 rwkw

WA, Australia

Did he touch it before he done the "before" power run on the dyno, or was the "before" run done as you drove in there with nothing touched?

STREETBUILT RACING
1999 XHII Falcon XR8 Ute 5.0L, TKO600 5spd, KB 2.1L Blower, 6.5psi, 12.2@113mph!!

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 97 EL XR6

Power: 162 rwkw

NSW, Australia

yeah his before run was done after BPT changed the base timing back to standard, he never did a power run with his timing advanced on the standard ecu.. which apparently felt stronger than any chip/tune he has had done...

07 BF MKII XR6T
310rwkw @ 13psi - Tuned By CMS

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

FAST-XR wrote:
yeah his before run was done after BPT changed the base timing back to standard, he never did a power run with his timing advanced on the standard ecu.. which apparently felt stronger than any chip/tune he has had done...

Yep, that's it.

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Yep righto then why the f**k did Terry touch it before the first power run? After all it is a "before" run, as in "as you drive in", not as in "after you drive in and we have a little play".

Easy way to fool the customer though. Play with it so you get a s**t "before" run, then tune it up to a little bit better than it would have "really" driven in like, get a nice gain on two pieces of paper, print them off and hand them over to the customer in exchange for hard earned cash, customers is happy. Untill he drives the car after a while and realises it's running like s**t and that hard earned cash was just wasted.

This kinda s**t really pisses me off. Get what you can out of them untill your happy, learn from your mistake and then go elsewhere. I can tell that when this all gets too hard for them they will throw their hands up and take the easy way out "plug your chiptorque back in, refund you the cash for the Switch chip then send you on your way"

There is no way your car drove in there with 149rwhp. Hell my auto 4.0L with an RPD cam, extractors, exhaust and K&N made 178rwhp and 162rwhp before the cam. that was with std head etc.

STREETBUILT RACING
1999 XHII Falcon XR8 Ute 5.0L, TKO600 5spd, KB 2.1L Blower, 6.5psi, 12.2@113mph!!

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Oh and befre anyone BPT fans jump on my back i am not saying this IS what Terry has done to Mark's car, i'm just stating what COULD have been done and asking WHY he did what he did before the tune.

After-all my ute was also tuned by Terry @ BPT and is still running the same tune and has been all good so far. Although she is ready for a re-tune after a few minor mods and i WILL be taking it elsewhere.

STREETBUILT RACING

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

XH5LWEPN wrote:
Yep righto then why the f**k did Terry touch it before the first power run? After all it is a "before" run, as in "as you drive in", not as in "after you drive in and we have a little play".

Easy way to fool the customer though. Play with it so you get a s**t "before" run, then tune it up to a little bit better than it would have "really" driven in like, get a nice gain on two pieces of paper, print them off and hand them over to the customer in exchange for hard earned cash, customers is happy. Untill he drives the car after a while and realises it's running like s**t and that hard earned cash was just wasted.

This kinda s**t really pisses me off. Get what you can out of them untill your happy, learn from your mistake and then go elsewhere. I can tell that when this all gets too hard for them they will throw their hands up and take the easy way out "plug your chiptorque back in, refund you the cash for the Switch chip then send you on your way"

There is no way your car drove in there with 149rwhp. Hell my auto 4.0L with an RPD cam, extractors, exhaust and K&N made 178rwhp and 162rwhp before the cam. that was with std head etc.

Some valid points there...

I drove the car into BPT with the Chiptorque Chip ON ...because it was very difficult to get the car to idle correctly on the stock ECU ...I had fiddled with it a tad too often.

I really don't know why Terry reverted the Ignition timing ...but one thing I have neglected to point out on the 'BEFORE' dyno curve is that it actually consists of both STOCK (Purple) and the Chiptorque Chip (Orange) results ...after resetting the ignition timing.

It basically shows that power-wise, the Chiptorque Chip added a measly 0.7HP ...although the Chiptorque Chip's Torque & AFR results are a little more favourable.

Maybe Terry felt he had to revert the Ignition Timing etc to get a STABLE starting point ...because the car wasn't really idling and running too well (rev hang, rev drop with PS load etc) with the Chiptorque Chip on anyway.

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

So ...should I now get the Ignition timing re-advanced to where it was with the STOCK ECU, get rid of the little running glitches as much as possible ...then use THIS as my 'BEFORE' run?

i.e. Use the Eliminator Chip to tune AFR's only?

OR ...Get the first bit above done, get a dyno and forget about the Eliminator Chip altogether?

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

FAST-XR wrote:
with it reverted back to the standard ecu its going to feel like a real dog, cos now itll have standard base timing and itll be running rich at the same time, it wont be anything special untill you push that timing forward again, BPT must have an idea of how far advanced it was, so get them to put it back to where it was and get it dynoed again, then compare this to your 'tuned' graph...

Yeah, took her for a drive tonight ...pretty much the same, just a more 'diminished' version.

I can swear my exhaust note has changed a little too (a little f@rt, like a VN Commo) ...is that also a possible symptom?

Sort by  
 Page 6 of 14  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next