Fordmods Logo

Engine Change in a BA Fairmont 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Engine Change in a BA Fairmont
Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:29 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA Fairmont

New Zealand

I am currently in the process of of buying an engine to replace the current one in my 2003 BA Fairmont 4.0l.

The current engine has done around 230,000 and has a bad miss, it looks like it is the rings as the compression is very low on cyl 3 and removing that coil does not have much impact on how the engine runs at all. It is far cheaper for me to just swap it out for an engine that has done far lower km's. And yep I have replaced the plugs and coils.

Current issues with the car:

*Click coming from the steering rack when the car is stationary/low speeds
*low bass like noise from the diff under heavy load and a thump when going from D to R - this does not worry me to much.
*Often when coming to a stop or when I drive over a pot hole there is a short grinding noise coming from the front left of the car I assume this has something to do with the ABS.

What I want to do to the car.

*Replace the engine with one that has done lower kms/better condition
*have headers fitted
*fix all of the above issues
*fit a typhoon air intake

So my question is, while the engine is out is there anything else I should do that will be easier with the engine out?

does anyone have any input on the above issues/ waht I want to do to the car?

Thanks everyone

Post subject: Re: Engine Change in a BA Fairmont
Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:35 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

do the rear main seal of the replacement engine is a cheap seal
but big $$ if it fails as the g/box has to come out

the shudder in the back is the diff bush and the rear diff cradle needs to come out to replace it
well to do it correctly

the grinding noise could be bearing/brake related not the ABS
but would need to be checked out

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:16 am 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

Disco Frank wrote:
do the rear main seal of the replacement engine is a cheap seal
but big $$ if it fails as the g/box has to come out

the shudder in the back is the diff bush and the rear diff cradle needs to come out to replace it
well to do it correctly

the grinding noise could be bearing/brake related not the ABS
but would need to be checked out

Cool thanks for that I will do the seal at the same time then.

I'm regards to the diff it's more of a thump then a shudder would it be the same thing?

And the noise from the front sounds like it's conning from under the bonnet it's a similar sound it makes when the abs kicks in and can happen when going over a bump in thinking it could possibly be dirty abs sensors?

Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:15 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

ipv89 wrote:

I'm regards to the diff it's more of a thump then a shudder would it be the same thing?

if it's 'more' of a thump from rear end .. then it's the centre bearing. have a look at it as the 'rubber' breaks which then gives the 'thump'.

Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:00 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

Mad2 wrote:
ipv89 wrote:

if it's 'more' of a thump from rear end .. then it's the centre bearing. have a look at it as the 'rubber' breaks which then gives the 'thump'.

It also thumps of you accelerate quickly then take your foot off the gas quickly. Is this expensive to do? I have owned two ef fairmonts and have loved them this is my first ba even though it's a 2003 it's the newest car I have ever owned. Its in fairly good condition apart from the above so I want to get all of this fixed

Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:02 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

ipv89 wrote:
Mad2 wrote:
ipv89 wrote:

It also thumps of you accelerate quickly then take your foot off the gas quickly. Is this expensive to do? I have owned two ef fairmonts and have loved them this is my first ba even though it's a 2003 it's the newest car I have ever owned. Its in fairly good condition apart from the above so I want to get all of this fixed

all depends on who does the job ... 1st look at the tailshaft [is it a independant rear??] as i'm not sure re BA [her BF has the two piece tailshaft]

i bought this for her BF http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281298035710?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT & had her brother fit it. make sure you measure the distance between the bolt holes as it was actually the wrong one! :roll: but they exchanged it no probs.

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:23 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

Mad2 wrote:
ipv89 wrote:
Mad2 wrote:
ipv89 wrote:

all depends on who does the job ... 1st look at the tailshaft [is it a independant rear??] as i'm not sure re BA [her BF has the two piece tailshaft]

i bought this for her BF http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281298035710?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT & had her brother fit it. make sure you measure the distance between the bolt holes as it was actually the wrong one! :roll: but they exchanged it no probs.

Awesome thanks for that. Also in regards to the missfire caused by low compression does anyone have any advise re getting the engine fixed or just replacing it with one that has done lower kms ?

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:45 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

ipv89 wrote:
Awesome thanks for that. Also in regards to the missfire caused by low compression does anyone have any advise re getting the engine fixed or just replacing it with one that has done lower kms ?

no prob. don't quite see how a low comp would cause a miss fire?? low comp is either rings, valves or head gasket. motors i have seen for $300/500 [roughly]

Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:35 am 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

Mad2 wrote:
ipv89 wrote:

no prob. don't quite see how a low comp would cause a miss fire?? low comp is either rings, valves or head gasket. motors i have seen for $300/500 [roughly]

The cylinder has spark and fuel I have swapt the injectors and could around and it makes no difference at all. I can pull the coil from that cylinder and it makes no difference to how the engine runs. You can also Here the missfire from the exhaust. My mechanic also checked it and said the low compression will be causing that.

It would cost me arou d $1500 nzd Inc engine to replace

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:33 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

I am now thinking I should possibly test further to find out why the cylinder has low compression. I just don't want to spend another few hundred just to find out that it is best to replace the engine.

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:19 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

I replaced the intake manifold gasket and that has stopped the miss so it did not need an engine swap.

A strange thing has started happening since I replaced the gasket, the steering now vibrates when I turn at low speed like 10kmph, or trying to parallel park. once I have picked up some speed it does not do it.

Any ideas? I don't remember touching anything to do with the steering so I am not sure how this has happened.

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:40 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Have you actually done a compression test on this motor?

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:48 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

I didn't my self but my mechanic did he said it was low on cylinder 3 but it can't be to bad as the engine is running very smooth now just the weird steering vibration left

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:15 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

He says low comp but can't find a leaking manifold gasket.

DDUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHH...... Get a new mechanic.

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:54 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

I defanatly will be after this. Any idea on what could be causing the steering issue ?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next