Fordmods Logo

engine cutting out 

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: engine cutting out
Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 98 EL Falcon - Last of the EL's

NSW, Australia

strange problem here in my EL Falcon, this doesn't happen all the time but just enough to make me a praying man when i'm out on the H'way far from home!

occasionally when i flick my high beams on the entire car cuts out but goes back to normal when i flick them back off but then the problem doesn't happen again for a while then bam! and now sometimes when i switch the indicators on the car the gearbox drops back to 3rd! but then goes back to normal when switched off and it only does it sometimes.

I've swapped around the 2 30A fuses that are under the bonnet and that seemed to have worked for a while but now the problem is back and it's brought friends!

it's very disconcerting when you have to cart the kids around and go on long drives to far away places

I'm thinking maby it's another fuse (i should maby replace them instead of swapping them) or maby my Alternator is on the way out?

why are women like clouds? eventually they f**k off and its a really nice day.

telling the truth is just lack of imagination

Post subject: Re: engine cutting out
Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:29 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

GTFORDMAN wrote:
strange problem here in my EL Falcon, this doesn't happen all the time but just enough to make me a praying man when i'm out on the H'way far from home!

occasionally when i flick my high beams on the entire car cuts out but goes back to normal when i flick them back off but then the problem doesn't happen again for a while then bam! and now sometimes when i switch the indicators on the car the gearbox drops back to 3rd! but then goes back to normal when switched off and it only does it sometimes.

I've swapped around the 2 30A fuses that are under the bonnet and that seemed to have worked for a while but now the problem is back and it's brought friends!

it's very disconcerting when you have to cart the kids around and go on long drives to far away places

I'm thinking maby it's another fuse (i should maby replace them instead of swapping them) or maby my Alternator is on the way out?

check connections to main fuses are not loose or burnt and check where they connect to the battery for poor connections especially -engine-battery-ignition and main fuses -

check earths at battery are clean and tight and make sure all circuits are connected - check inside connector from earth cable for corrosion -

check for burnt connector that feeds to the ignition switch.(brown connector below switch cover )..................

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]