Engine enamel on extractors 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Engine enamel on extractors
Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Looks like long hours at work, a 3 month old, a 2 year old and a lack of concenration has seen me paint my Lukey Extractors in engine enamel........f**k. Got them installed today, smoked more than cheech but now is cool. Smells like a 90 year olds arm pits still a bit, but its fine.....I think.
The product I used was 3M Engine enamel rated at 300 degree's. Whats going to be the effects of my f**k up?

Post subject: Re: Engine enamel on extractors
Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

It will burn off. Will make a mess and stink s**t up but shouldnt create too many dramas.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

what kind of a mess?

Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:44 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

79raven wrote:
what kind of a mess?

pretty much just flaking and make the exhaust look weird and ugly. Best to sand it all back to shine. However that may show rust over time.

Exhaust gases run at much higher than 300 degrees...more like 600-800. If you want it to look good, I suggest getting them ceramic coats, such as by these guys. I got quoted $265 in hi-lustre/sterling and an extra $60 on top for colour. Postage each way is on top of that. But they can withstand exhaust gas temperatures.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

the paint that you put on there is going to go away, by itself.

Gab

Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Will it just orange peel and flake off or melt into a liquid and run off?

Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:26 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Just smoke heaps and stink......... :shock:

Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

The heat shield is already solved, thanks to a champion bloke who installed them for me today. That was my biggest worrys, if the car will catch on fire or if after watching them get installed for most of today on the gravel I would have to remove them. Checked them out tonight and its turned into almost a pink powder....... but the heat shield covers them so I am not worried. When I get some extra cash up I get some exhaust paint and a new o2 sensor, then Ill hit the extractors with a wire brush and paint the heat shield. There is next to now extractors showing under the shield anyway.
f**k they made a huge difference. Response is instant, acceleration it quick through the rev range but it has not made the 2.5" Lukey cat back sound to loud.
I also remembered that when I went down to Penrith supercrap, I actually told the bloke what I wanted to paint and he suggested these 3m cans going out cheap. It really has been a hard 12 months or so and my brain was not there. It does seem the supercrap blokes mostly dont know s**t down Penrith unfortunately, They have argued with me before about part placement. Yeah they are cheap, but maybe Bursons or Repco would be better. Not so cheap, but every time I have gone down there they have put me right if its been needed. Wont go to Springwood auto one anymore after they sold me the wrong headlight bulbs ( even though I told them they were wrong) and then would not exhage them and I had to buy a new set.
In conclusion; Yes I am a total f**k d**k brain for getting the wrong paint, but thanks for the replies guys. At least the smell will stop people parking too close

Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

By the way, when I meant I watched them getting installed on the gravel, it was a prick of a job to do for the installer and I would have hated it to have been for nothing.

Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

uniacidz wrote:
s**t happens mate. Well all make mistakes and follow advise sometimes thats wrong.

EG my so call trusting mechanic. f**k idiotic dumb f**k of a wanker and then tries to charge me for something he f**k up

ANYHOOOS

We all been there matey. We just dont always admit it.

It was funny though, left this arvo and after about 5 minutes there was this big cloud of smoke following me through out Cambelltown. It gave me a clear run because everyone on a 2km radius bolted. 007 style
The best f**k up I have ever done though, checked the oil in my first car ( Lada Niva) after a hard night on the piss....it took 4L and still didnt look full with beer gogles on. The smoke the next day was atomic

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:34 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ef Ghia 1994

QLD, Australia

hahaha My sister once thought she would check the oil. Only problem was was that she was checking it through the filler cap. you can guess what happened. Engine filled to brim eg. top of rocker cover lol :D End result alot of oil everywhere and an engine that would'nt start without alot of persuation ;] Another story... A mate once forgot to do his sump plug back up and had poured 4l of oil into a 3l engine and was wondering wtf? That is until he relized the huge puddle of oil start to run out from engine bay :D End result one hell of a mess an stained concrete :mrgreen:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]