Fordmods Logo

Engine Fan clearance EBII 4.0 Auto Fairmont 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: Engine Fan clearance EBII 4.0 Auto Fairmont
Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:36 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Fairmont EBII & EL 4.0

VIC, Australia

Hi, just discovered the engine fan is hitting the auto cooling pipe that goes to the top of the radiator. Does anyone know if this is a common problem ? When its static there's only about 1mm clearance in 2 places between the pipe and fan. The pipe has marks on it though where the fan has been hitting it. So I'm wondering how much clearance should there be?

Post subject: Re: Engine Fan clearance EBII 4.0 Auto Fairmont
Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

Hello,

Have a look at another in a Car yard or somewhere. I noticed you havnt had an answer yet, hence mine. ( I dont have a similar model to compare ) See if the Fan wobbles, ( engine off and wriggle it ) it could be a worn water pump or clutch, but you would normally have leaks if that was the case. You may have a loose or broken engine mount. To me it sounds like there is a problem, so I would suggest looking at another Car as a 1st step. Even a wrecking yard may be worth a look depending on where you are. Maybe someone else can Post a Pic of a similar model Car ?

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:02 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Thanks I might have to resort to looking at wreckers as I've been unable to locate same model anywhere close. Reason I noticed problem is I'm about to change water pump due to it leaking, not because of play in the shaft. I'm concerned that if the new one doesn't go precisely back in same place the fan will actually be hitting the auto cooler pipe. I've checked the engine mounts are fine, nice solid blocks of rubber with no oil or fracture marks, not even any bulge in them, just like new. Someone else has said to me maybe the radiator is slighly across on the mounts which I'm in process of checking.
At moment I'm stuck trying to change water pump as the fluid coupling nut won't release off the pump shaft. Have flooded it with CRC several times but its pretty stubborn. Have checked thread on new pump to make sure I'm turning the right way as its left handed. Trying to use a 12" shifter and large screwdriver but no luck so far. If the clearance is still a problem after the pump change and checking radiator I will have to bend the pipe back.

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA MKII XR6

New Zealand

Sorry, the fan is hitting what pipe? There shouldn't be anything near the fan for it to hit

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:51 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

There a steel pipe comes out of top drivers side radiator tank which drops down then bends across to centre of car at 45 deg before going horizontal. Pretty sure its oil cooler for the automatic trans. The fan blades are hitting on the vertical section and 45 deg section of the pipe. Previous owner has had the water pump changed and it may have had front damage at some stage but straight since I've had it. Trying to work out if something was put back wrong as I couldn't imagine it coming out of the factory like this. The fan is set back a fair way from the radiator core making me wonder if a spacer or something was left off the pump shaft. If the fan was forward maybe 15mm it would fix the clarance problem.

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

acko wrote:
There a steel pipe comes out of top drivers side radiator tank which drops down then bends across to centre of car at 45 deg before going horizontal. Pretty sure its oil cooler for the automatic trans. The fan blades are hitting on the vertical section and 45 deg section of the pipe. Previous owner has had the water pump changed and it may have had front damage at some stage but straight since I've had it. Trying to work out if something was put back wrong as I couldn't imagine it coming out of the factory like this. The fan is set back a fair way from the radiator core making me wonder if a spacer or something was left off the pump shaft.

Odd, sounds to me like the trans cooler pipe is in the wrong place. I'll go have a look, I have an EB down the back of the section somewhere I can check on

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

On my EB the trans cooler pipe is only a small section that comes out of the radiator then straight down and joins onto a hose that runs down and back to the transmission, nowhere near the fan....

Attachment:
SAM_0611.JPG
SAM_0611.JPG [ 443.91 KiB | Viewed 238 times ]

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:01 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Hey thanks heeps for that pick! It tells me the fan is sitting in the shroud about the same place as yours. I'd say someone has cut the pipe and added the hose on yours as mine is I'm pretty sure original. Have a look in the pic where the pipe runs on mine. There's actually marks on the pipe in two places where the fan is clipping it. Only 1mm clearance when stopped.

Attachments:
File comment: Automatic cooler pipe clearance to engine fan 4.0 EBII
IMG_1157a.jpg
IMG_1157a.jpg [ 93.87 KiB | Viewed 226 times ]

Posted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

acko wrote:
Hey thanks heeps for that pick! It tells me the fan is sitting in the shroud about the same place as yours. I'd say someone has cut the pipe and added the hose on yours as mine is I'm pretty sure original. Have a look in the pic where the pipe runs on mine. There's actually marks on the pipe in two places where the fan is clipping it. Only 1mm clearance when stopped.

No - mine is the same as my other EB and EA that I used to own also.

Yours is certainly wrong, there is no way that they would put the pipe on that angle, or that close to the fan from factory.

Posted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:34 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

acko wrote:

That pipe is incorrect for sure.

Posted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

SWC wrote:
That pipe is incorrect for sure.

Definitely. It should head straight down the way mine does, yeah? The OP's one is all bent and twisted, getting in the way of not only the fan blades, but the battery cable too by the look of it.

I think someone has probably had the radiator out at some point and broken the original cooler pipe, so used whatever was laying around and just mangled it up so it would fit in the engine bay

Posted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:48 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Ok thanks guys, that's what I thought, surely it didn't come out of the factory like this. Looks like I have some pipe work to do. In the pic I took I have the belts off and the ps pump out of the way to change the water pump. Still having trouble trying to separate the fan clutch from the pump, it doesn't want to budge. Think its been installed without anti-sieze/Loctite. Soaked it in CRC for a few days now hence the rag around the pulley. Checked thread on new pump to make sure I'm going the right way. Still wont budge. Going to destroy a tyre lever to make one of those tools to hold the pulley bolts as cant get enough leverage with the sq shaft screwdriver.

Posted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

acko wrote:
Ok thanks guys, that's what I thought, surely it didn't come out of the factory like this. Looks like I have some pipe work to do. In the pic I took I have the belts off and the ps pump out of the way to change the water pump. Still having trouble trying to separate the fan clutch from the pump, it doesn't want to budge. Think its been installed without anti-sieze/Loctite. Soaked it in CRC for a few days now hence the rag around the pulley. Checked thread on new pump to make sure I'm going the right way. Still wont budge. Going to destroy a tyre lever to make one of those tools to hold the pulley bolts as cant get enough leverage with the sq shaft screwdriver.

Fan clutch is left-hand thread, so must be unscrewed clockwise (opposite to a normal thread). Large spanner needed, 30 or 32mm maybe from memory?

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:00 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Thanks guys. I got the fan clutch off eventually (3 days before it let go) after rapping a rag soaked in CRC around it. Whoever put the fan on last time didn't put anything on the threads and it was well and truly rusted on. If your interested I took some pics of where the auto pipes were while the fan & shroud was out. I've since moved the pipes across so they are an inch further out than the hole in the shroud for the fan (a good 2 inches off the fan blades). Also tied the pipes in a few places. Makes getting to the bottom radiator hose harder but I've just replaced the hose.

Attachments:
File comment: EBII 4.0 crazy location of auto cooler pipes
IMG_1159a.jpg
IMG_1159a.jpg [ 121.32 KiB | Viewed 220 times ]
File comment: EBII 4.0 crazy location of auto cooler pipes
IMG_1158a.jpg
IMG_1158a.jpg [ 119.54 KiB | Viewed 212 times ]

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]