Fordmods Logo

ENGINE LIFE EXPECTANCY...... HOW FAR WILL IT GO? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: ENGINE LIFE EXPECTANCY...... HOW FAR WILL IT GO?
Posted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:39 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AU 1 Wagon

QLD, Australia

Hi Fellas.

I have an AU series 1 wagon, the engine is a 4.0L
Looks old, the only thing that hasnt been replaced, this car is an x cab
had alot of mechanical work done to it, new gearbox,diff, whole pwr steering setup, sump, front & back susension, and a radiator just before I bought it (radiator burst on test-drive)
the engine looks untouched,

it has 660,000 on the clock, feels like it doesnt have alot of power, not sure if it needs the timing looked at, my old nissan I bought 3 years ago for 1 dollar had a similar thine except it was much more severe, $50 later after a timing adjustment by my mechanic the little nissan drove like a batt outa hell.

the engine sounds fine, , runs fulltime lpg (not dual fuel).
If anything what sort of problems may I expect, and how hard is it to replace the whole engine? are there limmits or restricions to what engine I can replace it with?

what sort of things can I do on the cheap side to get abit more kick outa this AU.

Any suggestions?

Thanks Fellas

Dave

AU serries 1 Wagon project.

Posted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Territory TX AWD & AUII XLS EGAS

NSW, Australia

If running dedicated LPG ... I suggest getting it serviced by an LPG mechanic ... I am sure they'll get some more life out of it.

I know of a decent LPG mechanic in Caloundra via another forum ... their name is TorqueGas (don't have number handy sorry).

Other guys on here though will be able to help you out LPG wise.

The good thing about the engines in these Falcons is that there are plenty of them and relatively cheap if it comes time for replacement.

660,000km is starting to get on a bit though ... and I wouldn't be surprised if it was feeling a tad tired ... especially being an ex-taxi.

04 Territory TX AWD - Winter White - optioned up
06 Falcon BFII XLS ute EGAS - Winter White - EGA-54D Version 2

Posted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Modified EA-S Falcon

Power: 142 rwkw

NSW, Australia

hate to bust this up but 660,000 is nothing out of a looked after engine and drivetrain. My uncle and cousins run few cabs in the ACT, most have upwards of 800,000+ ks and still going strong, only the usual servicing of fluids and a new set of injectors at about 500g. One of them has over a mill and hasn't even had the injectors and it runs like a dream.

Posted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:58 am 
Technical Contributor

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

it really depends on service history, and even then sometimes you never know. Theres a cab driver comes to my work for servicing every 10000km (despite being an AUIII which can in thoery go 15000) and after 380000km it needed a new motor because of oil usage. and this guy is fastidious about his car. Every time it comes in whatever it needs he gets done, no questions asked etc etc.
Its a factory egas car too.

Having said that there are alot out there that do alot more on original motors etc, so i think he was just unlucky. He bought it at 40000km so who knows what happened to it before he bought it

Posted: Tue May 01, 2007 6:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

my mate was a cabbi and he had his EL for almost 900'000km before he sold it. That was original everything except the trans. A solinoid stuffed up in the first 50'000km and BTR gave him a new trans to see why the solinoid failed.

He says that all cabs have less COLD starts then a family car and therefore they will last longer.

HOLDENS go like rockets. They fall apart in stages!!!

Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

ild say give the car a good service by a lpg specilist, and dont even think of changing the motor untill it gives out.
if kept in good condition and driven properly these engines are likely to see the 1 mill mark, its just a matter of time.

the au i6 is arguably one of the longest lasting motors in australian history

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]