Fordmods Logo

ENGINE MOUNTS RUBBER OR URETHANE ??? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Urethane or Rubber engine mounts
Urethane engine mounts 59%  59%  [ 10 ]
Rubber engine mounts 41%  41%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 17

Post subject: ENGINE MOUNTS RUBBER OR URETHANE ???
Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: GREEN ED XR6

Power: 249 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Im trying to decide on if its worth buying Urethane engine mounts over standard Rubber engine mounts, any one want to contribute the Pro's and Cons of each?

They are for a 7/1993 ED XR6

*standard replacement (Rubber)
$35 each (Autopro)
*Urethane replacement (Kelpro brand)
$55 each (Autopro)

Just would like to hear your opinions as I've replaced 2 passenger side ones and 1 drivers side engine mounts since the manual conversion and cam change
* No its not from dumping the clutch (Clutch is released smoothly from idle to 1200RPM once engaged it pins you into the seat in all gears with smooth changes *not flat changing* 1st through to 5th seems to pull very strongly and am still waiting on a chip....

So just thought I'd ask your opinions on either of the options, Ive been told by a few places that the Urethane will be stronger but may result in a little more vibration feedback from the engine.

AU2 engine with Hoppers head/cam performance package & spool rods / CP pistons ,Snort 1200 plenum, T56 Manual & Billet short shifter, Front & Rear Slotted rotors, Pedders lowered suspension, LSD and tuned with EMS stinger 4424 347rwkw THE ED XR6 IS BOOSTED

Post subject: Re: ENGINE MOUNTS RUBBER OR URETHANE ???
Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: GREEN ED XR6

Power: 249 rwkw

QLD, Australia

ANYONE want to share there thoughts?

AU2 engine with Hoppers head/cam performance package & spool rods / CP pistons ,Snort 1200 plenum, T56 Manual & Billet short shifter, Front & Rear Slotted rotors, Pedders lowered suspension, LSD and tuned with EMS stinger 4424 347rwkw THE ED XR6 IS BOOSTED

Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

urethane ones are less compliant and will transmit more vibration.

Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:18 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: eb xr6

SA, Australia

The only problem ive had is the urethane one melted next to the extractors but they still break just as easy i didnt notice any differance in feel through the car i broke 2 rubber ones on the passenger side in the go-to whoa at autofest within 7 runs.Next step solid mounts.Good luck mate

Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:27 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ED XR6

QLD, Australia

EDXR6-Poly wrote:
ANYONE want to share there thoughts?

I have an ed xr6 5 speed stock as rock. I put urethane mounts in and the first time I dumped the clutch 1st to 2nd the passenger side broke. couple of days later the drivers side went. disgusted I spoke to a friend who races a turbo eb and he said that only uses factory ford ones and that even aftermarket rubber ones are crap!!!! I'd like to state that he's had the same mounts in his eb for 8 years while regularly drag racing his car (runs 12s most meetings). Urethane doesn't have any give. I put factory ford ones in 18 months ago and havn't had a problem.

Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:43 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: AUII XR6, EBII XR6

SA, Australia

how much are the factory ford ones? I've had a problem with engine mounts in my EB too, but it is from clutch dumping, surely there is a way around it as it gets pretty annoying putting power steering belts back on every time I dump it.

EBII S XR6: 5 Speed short shifter, 4499s, gutted cat, 2.5" Redback, K&N Pod.
AUII XR6: 5 speed, King Super Low Rears.

Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

I know of a set of engine mounts for a mighty boy that had urethane added to the area's where there was no rubber, so they are a combination engine mount. That thing is turbocharged & can launch hard, hasn't buggered them up yet, been in the car a while now.

I currently have after market mounts in my Eb Ghia manual. They have survived many hard launches, altho i did break the gearbox mount. Replaced that, no further issues. Maybe i don't drive it hard enough? :shock:

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:56 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

i constantly had issues wil breaking the passenger side engine mount after i supercharged the car.
i tried urethane and aftermarket rubber, both were crap...

so i replaced it with another rubber mount but made this up.
and no problems since..
Attachment:
DSC01511.JPG
DSC01511.JPG [ 310.22 KiB | Viewed 181 times ]

Attachment:
DSC01514.JPG
DSC01514.JPG [ 406.49 KiB | Viewed 240 times ]

Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Troyman, is that mount designed to allow some more movement, keeping the rubber mount from tearing?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:37 am 

NSW, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
Troyman, is that mount designed to allow some more movement, keeping the rubber mount from tearing?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

yep, ive used a swaybar link pin rubberand a long bolt, so the engine still has a little lift and stops before any damage can be done to the mount...
its the best i could come up with without going to a solid mount...

Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
ToranaGuy wrote:

Cheers

ToranaGuy

yep, ive used a swaybar link pin rubberand a long bolt, so the engine still has a little lift and stops before any damage can be done to the mount...

I take it that it's working well then? I have some slightly longer bolts in my torry's engine mounts, and chain between the block & subframe to mount bolt. Allows the mounts to flex to a point, then they get stopped by the chain. I come up with that after breaking a few mounts in the torry when i first turbocharged it.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:57 pm 

NSW, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:
ToranaGuy wrote:

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I take it that it's working well then? I have some slightly longer bolts in my torry's engine mounts, and chain between the block & subframe to mount bolt. Allows the mounts to flex to a point, then they get stopped by the chain. I come up with that after breaking a few mounts in the torry when i first turbocharged it.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

yep its working good..
i use to have a chain across the engine mounts on my old valiant but the side affect was some engine vibration through the car under load when the tension was taken up in the chain..
the way is is on the ed it has cushioned effect so i dont get any vibration... :D

Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

On a street car I'd say rubber with the link pin mod Troyman has done. that was you get the vibration damping properties of rubber with the reinforcement to stop it from s**t itself every time you hit the gas pedal. if you don't mind a little bit of vibes then substitute the rubber for urathane. But for a car that see's the track first and road second then solid mounts all the way.

Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
ToranaGuy wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:
ToranaGuy wrote:

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Cheers

ToranaGuy

yep its working good..
i use to have a chain across the engine mounts on my old valiant but the side affect was some engine vibration through the car under load when the tension was taken up in the chain..
the way is is on the ed it has cushioned effect so i dont get any vibration... :D

I noticed some increased vibrations in the torry, but hell, it's a 1974 car, i didn't think the increased vibrations mattered much lol.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BA XR8

NSW, Australia

My motor is pretty much solid mounted with the urethane mounts i made up. Havent noticed any extra vibrations thru the car. This might be due to the bigger diameter than others i have seen. Troyman's solution is about the only/best way to stop breaking mounts.

Cheers

8-) Daz 8-)

BA XR8 Boss 260
DAZFAB......Now Mobile
Mink = GAY
DAZFAB MEMBERS ,,,,DA22LE, XTT909, TERRORISTGHIA, TROYMAN, SWC, FAT245

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next