Fordmods Logo

Engine Oil and Filter Change 

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Engine Oil and Filter Change
Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon AU

WA, Australia

Should you change your engine oil and filter when the car is at operating temperature? or when it has cooled down?

cheers

What do you call a Hyundai with dual exhausts?

A wheelbarrow.

Post subject: Re: Engine Oil and Filter Change
Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

They say operating temp and i do this and let the car sit for a few hrs before i replace filter and fill with engine oil.

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:29 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL XR6

Probably better that the car is at operating temp, that way the oil is warm and thinned out so it drains quicker. Just watch the hot oil on your arms when undoing the sump plug.

EL XR6 Manual
Tickford Kit, 18" ANZ's, Kings SL/SSL & Sachs.

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

op temp

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon AU

WA, Australia

MICKYYYY wrote:
They say operating temp and i do this and let the car sit for a few hrs before i replace filter and fill with engine oil.

so you drain the oil out while the car is at operating temperature, and then refill it when the car has cooled down?

What do you call a Hyundai with dual exhausts?

A wheelbarrow.

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 2021 Amarok V6

SA, Australia

i just drive mine around the block a couple of times so its warmish but not super hot.

2021 V6 Manual Amarok - 245kw/750nm - many goodies
1997 EL Fairmont Ghia 4.0 - Heritage Green & Cappa
2010 Suzuki GSX650F - when I want to be silly

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

A very good idea too. Too many people do oil changes with engine cold and any impurities stay in the engine and mix with the new oil. Everyone here obviously knows the best time is warm and YES Falcon 1999, good idea to change when hot and leave it drain for about 15-20 mins the leave for say 45 mins and refill. Don't forget to put a little oil on the oil filter gasket before you fit it, seals better.

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

falcon1999

Yes once its cooled down i fill it back up but i dont let it sit to cool, i let it sit so i get as much old engine oil out.

I usually leave the car for 2hrs before i refill but my old man does it over night :lol:

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:48 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AUIII

NSW, Australia

Papa Smurf wrote:
A very good idea too. Too many people do oil changes with engine cold and any impurities stay in the engine and mix with the new oil. Everyone here obviously knows the best time is warm and YES Falcon 1999, good idea to change when hot and leave it drain for about 15-20 mins the leave for say 45 mins and refill. Don't forget to put a little oil on the oil filter gasket before you fit it, seals better.

Not getting picky here, just a query. What impurities are you talking about?.....i have a filter on my falcon!!!

MITHCY

AUIII, PACEY 4499's, MAGNIFLOW CAT, 2.5" ZORST, 17X8" AUII XR RIMS....otherwise all factory!

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

DARTHVADER wrote:
Not getting picky here, just a query. What impurities are you talking about?.....i have a filter on my falcon!!!
MITHCY

Just that sometimes little bits of sludge can stick to the insides and will be easier to get out when the oil is hot and has been circulating. Take a look at the inside of an engine when you pull it down, sometimes they have what looks like slime..

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:27 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

I drain the oil when the engine is warm, for the same reason that when its time to change the oil in some cases the oil has changed color. So it stands to reason that there could be sludgy build ups around the sump area no matter how minimal it may be.

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

Papa Smurf wrote:

old smurf is spot on, do this and you will be right.

Also if you want put some oil flush init and let it run for ldle for like 15 minutes and then drain and let it drain for awhile. while it's draing remove the oil filter so it drains fully.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:55 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ive always been told to stay away from such products. one of my old tafe lecturers used to call them devils oils haha. But seriously if your oil is that dirty then you could buy some cheap oil and run that in the engine for a day and then redo the oil change with another filter.

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

XR-Lane wrote:
Ive always been told to stay away from such products. one of my old tafe lecturers used to call them devils oils haha. But seriously if your oil is that dirty then you could buy some cheap oil and run that in the engine for a day and then redo the oil change with another filter.

I agree with you on the Oil Flush, I would NEVER recommend it. Too many people put it into an OLD engine and it tends to remove compression :mrgreen: Just kidding but, I have heard that it can dissolve some of the carbon behind the rings and can leave you worse off.

It is a good idea though to run clean oil a couple of times in a dirty engine to get a lot more rubbish out.

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

Papa Smurf wrote:
XR-Lane wrote:

I agree with you on the Oil Flush, I would NEVER recommend it. Too many people put it into an OLD engine and it tends to remove compression :mrgreen: Just kidding but, I have heard that it can dissolve some of the carbon behind the rings and can leave you worse off.

It is a good idea though to run clean oil a couple of times in a dirty engine to get a lot more rubbish out.

ya reckon?

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next