Fordmods Logo

Engine Oil and Filter Change 

 

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

 
 Post subject: Engine Oil and Filter Change
Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:04 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 449

Joined: 15th Apr 2009

Ride: Falcon AU

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

Should you change your engine oil and filter when the car is at operating temperature? or when it has cooled down?

cheers

 

_________________

What do you call a Hyundai with dual exhausts?

A wheelbarrow.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Engine Oil and Filter Change
Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:27 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 2410

Joined: 4th Sep 2006

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

They say operating temp and i do this and let the car sit for a few hrs before i replace filter and fill with engine oil.

 

_________________

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Engine Oil and Filter Change
Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:29 am 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 109

Joined: 1st Nov 2006

Ride: EL XR6

Probably better that the car is at operating temp, that way the oil is warm and thinned out so it drains quicker. Just watch the hot oil on your arms when undoing the sump plug.

 

_________________

EL XR6 Manual
Tickford Kit, 18" ANZ's, Kings SL/SSL & Sachs.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Engine Oil and Filter Change
Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 30

Posts: 3737

Joined: 22nd May 2006

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

Location: Bendigo
VIC, Australia

op temp

 

_________________

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Engine Oil and Filter Change
Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 449

Joined: 15th Apr 2009

Ride: Falcon AU

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

MICKYYYY wrote:
They say operating temp and i do this and let the car sit for a few hrs before i replace filter and fill with engine oil.


so you drain the oil out while the car is at operating temperature, and then refill it when the car has cooled down?

 

_________________

What do you call a Hyundai with dual exhausts?

A wheelbarrow.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Engine Oil and Filter Change
Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 5889

Joined: 2nd Mar 2006

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: '14 Grand Cherokee

Location: Port Lincoln
SA, Australia

i just drive mine around the block a couple of times so its warmish but not super hot.

 

_________________

11/93 ED OPT20 GLi | Full Boat Spec

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Engine Oil and Filter Change
Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 64

Posts: 3448

Joined: 11th Jan 2009

Ride: BA Falcon XT

Location: Smithfield
NSW, Australia

A very good idea too. Too many people do oil changes with engine cold and any impurities stay in the engine and mix with the new oil. Everyone here obviously knows the best time is warm and YES Falcon 1999, good idea to change when hot and leave it drain for about 15-20 mins the leave for say 45 mins and refill. Don't forget to put a little oil on the oil filter gasket before you fit it, seals better.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Engine Oil and Filter Change
Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 2410

Joined: 4th Sep 2006

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

falcon1999

Yes once its cooled down i fill it back up but i dont let it sit to cool, i let it sit so i get as much old engine oil out.

I usually leave the car for 2hrs before i refill but my old man does it over night :lol:

 

_________________

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Engine Oil and Filter Change
Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:48 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 40

Posts: 248

Joined: 4th Nov 2007

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AUIII

Location: COONABARABRAN
NSW, Australia

Papa Smurf wrote:
A very good idea too. Too many people do oil changes with engine cold and any impurities stay in the engine and mix with the new oil. Everyone here obviously knows the best time is warm and YES Falcon 1999, good idea to change when hot and leave it drain for about 15-20 mins the leave for say 45 mins and refill. Don't forget to put a little oil on the oil filter gasket before you fit it, seals better.


Not getting picky here, just a query. What impurities are you talking about?.....i have a filter on my falcon!!!

MITHCY

 

_________________

AUIII, PACEY 4499's, MAGNIFLOW CAT, 2.5" ZORST, 17X8" AUII XR RIMS....otherwise all factory!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Engine Oil and Filter Change
Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 64

Posts: 3448

Joined: 11th Jan 2009

Ride: BA Falcon XT

Location: Smithfield
NSW, Australia

DARTHVADER wrote:
Not getting picky here, just a query. What impurities are you talking about?.....i have a filter on my falcon!!!
MITHCY


Just that sometimes little bits of sludge can stick to the insides and will be easier to get out when the oil is hot and has been circulating. Take a look at the inside of an engine when you pull it down, sometimes they have what looks like slime..
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Engine Oil and Filter Change
Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:27 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Age: 35

Posts: 3045

Joined: 26th Nov 2008

Ride: 1975 XB Falcon 500

Location: In the drivers seat
SA, Australia

I drain the oil when the engine is warm, for the same reason that when its time to change the oil in some cases the oil has changed color. So it stands to reason that there could be sludgy build ups around the sump area no matter how minimal it may be.

 

_________________

Image
http://www.facebook.com/Ford1975

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Engine Oil and Filter Change
Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 33

Posts: 6746

Joined: 13th Mar 2006

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: NCII Fairlane

Location: Bathurst
NSW, Australia

Papa Smurf wrote:
A very good idea too. Too many people do oil changes with engine cold and any impurities stay in the engine and mix with the new oil. Everyone here obviously knows the best time is warm and YES Falcon 1999, good idea to change when hot and leave it drain for about 15-20 mins the leave for say 45 mins and refill. Don't forget to put a little oil on the oil filter gasket before you fit it, seals better.


old smurf is spot on, do this and you will be right.

Also if you want put some oil flush init and let it run for ldle for like 15 minutes and then drain and let it drain for awhile. while it's draing remove the oil filter so it drains fully.

 

_________________

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Engine Oil and Filter Change
Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:55 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Age: 35

Posts: 3045

Joined: 26th Nov 2008

Ride: 1975 XB Falcon 500

Location: In the drivers seat
SA, Australia

Ive always been told to stay away from such products. one of my old tafe lecturers used to call them devils oils haha. But seriously if your oil is that dirty then you could buy some cheap oil and run that in the engine for a day and then redo the oil change with another filter.

 

_________________

Image
http://www.facebook.com/Ford1975

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Engine Oil and Filter Change
Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 64

Posts: 3448

Joined: 11th Jan 2009

Ride: BA Falcon XT

Location: Smithfield
NSW, Australia

XR-Lane wrote:
Ive always been told to stay away from such products. one of my old tafe lecturers used to call them devils oils haha. But seriously if your oil is that dirty then you could buy some cheap oil and run that in the engine for a day and then redo the oil change with another filter.


I agree with you on the Oil Flush, I would NEVER recommend it. Too many people put it into an OLD engine and it tends to remove compression :mrgreen: Just kidding but, I have heard that it can dissolve some of the carbon behind the rings and can leave you worse off.

It is a good idea though to run clean oil a couple of times in a dirty engine to get a lot more rubbish out.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Engine Oil and Filter Change
Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 33

Posts: 6746

Joined: 13th Mar 2006

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: NCII Fairlane

Location: Bathurst
NSW, Australia

Papa Smurf wrote:
XR-Lane wrote:
Ive always been told to stay away from such products. one of my old tafe lecturers used to call them devils oils haha. But seriously if your oil is that dirty then you could buy some cheap oil and run that in the engine for a day and then redo the oil change with another filter.


I agree with you on the Oil Flush, I would NEVER recommend it. Too many people put it into an OLD engine and it tends to remove compression :mrgreen: Just kidding but, I have heard that it can dissolve some of the carbon behind the rings and can leave you worse off.

It is a good idea though to run clean oil a couple of times in a dirty engine to get a lot more rubbish out.


ya reckon?

 

_________________

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:21 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names