Post subject: Re: Engine rebuild parts list/cost/requirements/information
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:00 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

EFFUTURA4.05SP wrote:
No disrespect intended, but is it really wothwhile?

I bought the whole car that my current engine came out of for $200.

I would consider other options in this case. Just my opinion.

Well my primary role right now is to gauge different options and ideas to share with other people. Others may find that $300 isn't too bad for a needle bearing, or think it's just plain waste of money. Each to their own I guess. To me, knowledge/experience is more important than money :).

I may be wrong, but from my understanding, having a bearing for the auxiliary shaft may be more reliable. This may be an expensive exercise or it could be a great improvement, I won't know till I try, however I do need to think about it.

tickford_6 wrote:
The sleeve is effectively the inner race. Which you will need as the shaft isn't hardened.
If that's the case you will need an interference fit on both the inner and outer.

Thanks. I was hoping the bearing might be similar to wheel bearings (inner/outer races as one package...but obviously not tapered) so, as you mentioned before, get it interference fitted to the shaft, making removal so much easier.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

EFFUTURA4.05SP wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
EFFUTURA4.05SP wrote:

Some people buy cheap used engines and run the risk of getting a s**t one. Some people fix what they have knowing that it's fixed. It's been a long time since I saw an EA-EL with under 200 000km on it.

I rebuilt my motor and it was a comprehensive rebuild at that. I am confedent it will give me many year more of reliable motoring. Dont get me wrong, it was r00ted, completely siezed, bores corroded due to a blown head gaket, all that fun stuff.

Im just saying for the cost of that one repair, you could get an engine that doesnt require it, rebuild that and not waste the cash. My aux shaft was tight, no play, minimal measurable wear and had somewhere in the region of 280,000km.

Im assuming this must be an improvement on the bearingless Aux journals?

There is never a guaranty that if you buy another engine that it will be any better.
You spend $200 on a wreck or used motor and you are half way to fixing it for ever anyway, if the one you buy is any better then what you have.

For some people like yourself, money is the key driving factor. For others knowledge and understanding is more important then a few dollars.

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Futura DUH

NSW, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
EFFUTURA4.05SP wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
EFFUTURA4.05SP wrote:

Some people buy cheap used engines and run the risk of getting a s**t one. Some people fix what they have knowing that it's fixed. It's been a long time since I saw an EA-EL with under 200 000km on it.

I rebuilt my motor and it was a comprehensive rebuild at that. I am confedent it will give me many year more of reliable motoring. Dont get me wrong, it was r00ted, completely siezed, bores corroded due to a blown head gaket, all that fun stuff.

Im just saying for the cost of that one repair, you could get an engine that doesnt require it, rebuild that and not waste the cash. My aux shaft was tight, no play, minimal measurable wear and had somewhere in the region of 280,000km.

Im assuming this must be an improvement on the bearingless Aux journals?

There is never a guaranty that if you buy another engine that it will be any better.
You spend $200 on a wreck or used motor and you are half way to fixing it for ever anyway, if the one you buy is any better then what you have.

For some people like yourself, money is the key driving factor. For others knowledge and understanding is more important then a few dollars.

OK...

1996 EF Futura factory manual
Fully rebuilt engine,Decked, Honed, Bored, Tolerences spot on, Wade 1673, Extractors, 2.5" zorst, 3" CAI, High flow filter, Exedy sports tuff clutch, Chiptorque tune.
Future Mods: A mortgage...

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Turbo VT, VL Calais Trubo, HQ SS

VIC, Australia

Hi mate just interested to know if you ever went ahead with the engine rebuild. I am sorry I didnt have time to read the whole thread so I just putting it out there before someone shoots me down. How much did it end up costing you?

I am keen on looking into the ACL race series kit for my EL fairmont because I am getting a whipple installed soon.

Thanks

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:05 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

BoostedVT wrote:
Hi mate just interested to know if you ever went ahead with the engine rebuild. I am sorry I didnt have time to read the whole thread so I just putting it out there before someone shoots me down. How much did it end up costing you?

I am keen on looking into the ACL race series kit for my EL fairmont because I am getting a whipple installed soon.

Thanks

I have stopped for now...mainly because of time and money. Saving up for a Europe trip in June so it is on pause. Another reason is because I am chasing a block that can still be fixed up. My original block has a worn out auxiliary shaft hole, which needs to be bored out and sleeved...or bored out and double race bearings put in instead, both of which cost more than a broken EF/EL engine. Once I have a block, then all I really need is to buy the ACL rebuild kit (race or standard, not sure yet), which is the bulk of the cost.

So sorry can't give you a total cost yet, but I got quoted $700ish from Repco for an ACL Race Series rebuild kit.

EDIT: Sorry around $700, rather than $900 for ACL race series kit. My bad.

EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Turbo VT, VL Calais Trubo, HQ SS

VIC, Australia

Too easy thanks anyway mate.

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:02 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Falcon EB

TAS, Australia

Bit of a old thread dig, did you ever finish this mate?

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:15 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

WadesEBrocks wrote:
Bit of a old thread dig, did you ever finish this mate?

Nah ended up completely scrapping it. Donated the engine to another member when we tried to do a DOHC on EL block. Didn't work out due to cost and too much mucking around.

It would have cost too much and having lost my job I just had to bin the whole project. Would have been nice but unfortunately I haven't won the lottery.

Sort by  
 Page 7 of 7  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7