Fordmods Logo

engine rebuild 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: engine rebuild
Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:20 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1993 eb xr6 falcon

VIC, Australia

hi i think its time to either rebuild or get a new engine block for my eb just wanting to know from people who have done it, how much im looking at ,best way to go rebuild or buy complete.It has devaloped a bad knock in the bottem end im thinking of rebuild because i want to keep the ticky head as its had work and a cam.I will have to take it to a engine reconditioner as i dont have all the tools. Im thinking take it out my self and drop it off to get built.If some of you guys could tell me around how much im looking at for a full block rebuild. thanks

Post subject: Re: engine rebuild
Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

i got quoted for bearings, all gasgets, headbolts, rings, pistons etc(all the parts for the usual diy rebuild) about $1000 i think , and for a engine reconditioner to do it for me was over 2500 for the standard rebuild with him supplying parts aswell

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

Hoppers Cylinder Heads in Hoppers Crossing charged me about $2500 to do the bottom end. Give them a call and ask for a quote for just the standard parts supplied, or supplied & assembled in the block. It will be cheaper than that if you assemble the block. He was talking about stocking changeover blocks at one stage.

It will be cheaper to get another engine if you're not planning to keep your car for a few years.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

It depends on how stuffed your engine is.
You might get away with a DIY re-ring and bearing for a few hundred dollars.
OR it may need the works for a few thousand dollars. the only way to know is to strip and measure.

Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:52 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EL Falcon

QLD, Australia

Id be taking a trip to your local wrecking yard. Falcon s**t is a dime a dozen, wouldnt be more than 150-200 bucks tops for a good bottom end to throw all your bits on.

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:43 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1993 eb xr6 falcon

VIC, Australia

thanks guys much help :)

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Rutager wrote:
Id be taking a trip to your local wrecking yard. Falcon s**t is a dime a dozen, wouldnt be more than 150-200 bucks tops for a good bottom end to throw all your bits on.

80% of whats in a wrecking yard is fvcked.....lack of servicing being the major culprit....so they just drive them into the ground, and the wreckers are the ones picking them up, coz no-one will buy them.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU falcon

VIC, Australia

ebay is yor friend for an engine, i picked up an AU whole engine with 27,000 (yes correct) for only $350 so flick through there and you might get lucky.

Au factory 5sp, rolling on 20'z, full custom extractors, redback cat and back. has a new motors, only 27,000ks

Welcome to Toongabbie motorsports :P

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:35 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EL Falcon

QLD, Australia

cjh wrote:
Rutager wrote:

80% of whats in a wrecking yard is fvcked.....lack of servicing being the major culprit....so they just drive them into the ground, and the wreckers are the ones picking them up, coz no-one will buy them.

Heres a tip... Get one from something that looks well maintained but has been written off. Chances are it was running well when it got hit. Its no guarantee but its a perfect starting point. A good wrecking yard gets the bulk of their cars from auction not free tows.

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ford au

QLD, Australia

if ur going to rebuild the engine just get a f**k one and rebuild it

Daily Driver, Series 1 Au Forte

Quote:
Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]