Fordmods Logo

Engine turning but not firing... 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Engine turning but not firing...
Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU III XR8 347ci

ACT, Australia

G'day again people;

I guess this hot weather must bring out all the faults in older cars...

My EB2 4.0 has intermittent starting issues.

I drove it late yesterday morning with absolutely no issues. The car started fine, drove smoothly and didn't overheat at all; absolutely perfect.

I parked it and approximately one hour later, I returned to the EB and attempted to start it. The engined turned and turned, although wouldn't fire. It didn't even sound like it was about to fire; just sounded like there was no spark. This went on for approximately two hours. About two hours later, it eventually started. I drove it straight to my mechanic in Fyshwick (Canberra), although they could not pick up on any issues. They tested the fuel pump and the ignition module, although no issues were evident.

I drove it in to Ford today to get several other suspension issues rectified and left it with them for half the day. When I went to pick it up, it would not start. Tehy stated they took it on a test drive half an hour prior, and it started/drove fine. They conducted a few 'tests' and said that there was a weak spark. Ford said to leave it with them, and that they'd sort it out.

Soon after, I received a call from Ford who said it was all good. Upon my return, I attempted to start it and yet again it would not start. It eventually started again without fiddling with anything, although none of the technicians could pinpoint anything specific.

Now I know it's a long shot, but anyone know what this may be? Or has anyone experienced similar issues?

Regards.

Post subject: Re: Engine turning but not firing...
Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Boxcar Love

QLD, Australia

Sounds like it could just be a bad/loose connection somewhere, otherwise if the things you said have been tested, i'd maybe look at the ecu, but i dont think it would really cause such intermittence.

Commodore australia's favorite car??? What a load of s**t

Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:57 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

yes im having the same type of problem only in hot weather though. im thinkg towards the tfi module on the side of the distributor :?:

Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

First off all, what did FORD actually do to the car, did they replace anything?

I would check the PIP signal out of the TFI module on the dizzy when cranking engine. If no PIP signal then either the TFI module or Hall pick up sensor(chopper disk sensor) is breaking down under heat. Very Common Problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!

97 EL Fairmont 4l OHC .Silver.
Exhaust: Pacemaker's, 2.5" exhaust and Hiflow cat
Intake: FRAM AIRHOG , EL GT snorkel
XR6 300kpa fuel reg Stg 2 Auto Shift Kit.6DJA ECU
PM in Qld looking too buy Toyota 4*4 SR5 Dualcab Hilux 91-97 with 2.8l diesel engine/5spd manual

Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:33 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ed xr6

QLD, Australia

I think I am having the same problem and its driving me crazy.

Seems like it happens only on hot days. Car will not start, ignition clicks but no firing from the engine. After 5secs - 10 mins of just sitting there turning the ignition it will come good but it is very frustrating.

How do I ...
EL__Fairmont wrote:
check the PIP signal out of the TFI module on the dizzy when cranking engine. If no PIP signal then either the TFI module or Hall pick up sensor(chopper disk sensor) is breaking down under heat.

And what can be done about this problem, kinda broke so I wouldn't mind not taking it to auto-electrician.

Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

monstertank wrote:
I think I am having the same problem and its driving me crazy.

Seems like it happens only on hot days. Car will not start, ignition clicks but no firing from the engine. After 5secs - 10 mins of just sitting there turning the ignition it will come good but it is very frustrating.

How do I ...
EL__Fairmont wrote:
check the PIP signal out of the TFI module on the dizzy when cranking engine. If no PIP signal then either the TFI module or Hall pick up sensor(chopper disk sensor) is breaking down under heat.

And what can be done about this problem, kinda broke so I wouldn't mind not taking it to auto-electrician.

your problem sounds different because your starter's not cranking the engine, I would check your Body Control Module. Just give it a whack with your hand and see if it starts. Up above your left knee when sitting in driver's seat.

97 EL Fairmont 4l OHC .Silver.
Exhaust: Pacemaker's, 2.5" exhaust and Hiflow cat
Intake: FRAM AIRHOG , EL GT snorkel
XR6 300kpa fuel reg Stg 2 Auto Shift Kit.6DJA ECU
PM in Qld looking too buy Toyota 4*4 SR5 Dualcab Hilux 91-97 with 2.8l diesel engine/5spd manual

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]