Fordmods Logo

Excessive oil consumption through PCV, need help!!!! 

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Excessive oil consumption through PCV, need help!!!!
Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:46 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford EF Fairmont 1996

NSW, Australia

G'day guys

I have an AU engine in my EF fairmont and I've been having an on going issue with oil consumption. I've failed it down to the fact it's going through the pcv valve! When the valve was connected it pumps small amount of smoke out the exhaust. And if I took the house off and blocked it off, the oil consumption and smoke would stop completely.

You can see oil in the pipe, I've replaced the pcv so it's brand new on that side of things. But as soon as its hooked back up its managing to suck oil through to the intake.

But why is it sucking oil through?? I have an aftermarket cam, no chip or anything, so is there something changing the vacuum which is making it suck through?

How else would that much oil get through???

Cheers

I'de rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it

Post subject: Re: Excessive oil consumption through PCV, need help!!!!
Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Blow by? How many kms on the engine and how hard do you drive it? Maybe a compression test and/or leak down test is in order.

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:47 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

also what rocker cover and pcv are you using??

au rocker covers have an oil shield below the pcv where e series has an open section below the pcv..
also s2 au uses a different pcv (grey plastic) smaller orifice, compared to s1 and ef black plastic..

but either way if its using that much oil through the pcv or rear oil breather its smoking out exhaust..
ill say to much blow by and its getting tired...

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:

au rocker covers have an oil shield below the pcv where e series has an open section below the pcv..
also s2 au uses a different pcv (grey plastic) smaller orifice, compared to s1 and ef black plastic..

but either way if its using that much oil through the pcv or rear oil breather its smoking out exhaust..

hmmm a oil shield below the PCV valve in side the rock cover in the AU , would that help "stop" blow by from the piston rings?

looks like maybe a catch can plus easy driving if you notice smoke upon full throttle to drive on borrowed time as it is most likely the rings

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

actually could you run the engine all the time with the pipe blocked of as the OP did to top the smoke coming out the exhaust ?

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:57 pm 

NSW, Australia

it wont help or stop blow by, its there to minimise any oil splash from the cam and rockers being sucked into pcv ...

but all engines have some blow by, its the nature of the beast, its combustion gasses that escape past the compression rings into the crank case, which like anything under pressure heads for the nearest exit,eg breather or pcv.. as oil falls from the top end of the engine returning to the sump, excessive blow by will carry some of this oil with it allowing it to be either sucked or forced into the intake...

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
EF_wanabe wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:

hmmm a oil shield below the PCV valve in side the rock cover in the AU , would that help "stop" blow by from the piston rings?

looks like maybe a catch can plus easy driving if you notice smoke upon full throttle to drive on borrowed time as it is most likely the rings

it wont help or stop blow by, its there to minimise any oil splash from the cam and rockers being sucked into pcv ..

but all engines have some blow by, its the nature of the beast, its combustion gasses that escape past the compression rings into the crank case, which like anything under pressure heads for the nearest exit,eg breather or pcv.. as oil falls from the top end of the engine returning to the sump, excessive blow by will carry some of this oil with it allowing it to be either sucked or forced into the intake....

ahh ok i get it now.

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:16 pm 

NSW, Australia

EF_wanabe wrote:
actually could you run the engine all the time with the pipe blocked of as the OP did to top the smoke coming out the exhaust ?

yea, alot of real old school engines never had pcv's.
its more of an emission thing, but it does aid in the cooling and removing dirty vapours from the crank case helping extend the life of the engine oil..

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Either way it belongs in the 6 cylinder section not the garage for build threads!

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:03 pm 

NSW, Australia

EVL098 wrote:
Either way it belongs in the 6 cylinder section not the garage for build threads!

lol, i didnt even notice...

thread moved to 6 cyl workshop.

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:39 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

The engine has only done around 140,000km!
Could I run the house blocked off or even removed? Or does it really need the ventilation through the rocker cover?

It's an AU rocker cover, with the shield. But what could be causing it?
Because I initially had a different AU engine in it and it was using oil and it was under warranty an so the place in Melbourne replaced it because they thought it was rings/valve guide seals. So they got a different AU engine with similar Km's and replaced the valve guide seals to be safe.

But the second engine is doing the same thing, which is the engine currently in the car. Both engines had the same 1671 cam. Is it anything to do with the cam, difference vacuum or something??
TROYMAN wrote:
EF_wanabe wrote:

its more of an emission thing, but it does aid in the cooling and removing dirty vapours from the crank case helping extend the life of the engine oil..

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

fairmont1996 wrote:
Could I run the house blocked off or even removed? Or does it really need the ventilation through the rocker cover?

Because I initially had a different AU engine in it and it was using oil and it was under warranty an so the place in Melbourne replaced it because they thought it was rings/valve guide seals. So they got a different AU engine with similar Km's and replaced the valve guide seals to be safe.

But the second engine is doing the same thing, which is the engine currently in the car. Both engines had the same 1671 cam. Is it anything to do with the cam, difference vacuum or something??
TROYMAN wrote:
EF_wanabe wrote:

God looks like they cant get anything right ive been told if you are to change the top end e,g the valve stem seals etc and leave the bottom end it can cause more stress down below , but thats only a urban myth

hmm we need to wait for troyman for the answer but if you could maybe run a catch can ? does the engine feel like its lost power at all since you noticed this smoke ?

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:58 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Well it's been having the engine oil loss since i got it. So the guy told me to take that Hose off and see whether it burns any then. And it completely stopped.

I ran it like that for a while then bought a new pcv just the other day and hooked it back up but it went back to using oil again -_- then burning a little bit of smoke if you ref hard.

So blocked the pipe off again and it's stopped.
I want to get a catch can but I also want to stop and also find out why so much is being sucked through.
P
EF_wanabe wrote:
fairmont1996 wrote:

TROYMAN wrote:
EF_wanabe wrote:

God looks like they cant get anything right ive been told if you are to change the top end e,g the valve stem seals etc and leave the bottom end it can cause more stress down below , but thats only a urban myth

hmm we need to wait for troyman for the answer but if you could maybe run a catch can ? does the engine feel like its lost power at all since you noticed this smoke ?

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

I think its time for a catch can. But make sure you get one that's legal, the ones with breathers are illegal.

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

Hi,

You may need to be a bit creative. If you block the valve off you will pressurize the engine, and you will get oil leaks. I have even heard of a dipstick blowing out. Check that everything is as it should be, some Muppet may have stuffed around in the tappet cover. and left parts out.

Regards 96ELGli

Regards 96ELGli

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next