excuse me? lifters? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: excuse me? lifters?
Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:47 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EF GliXR

ACT, Australia

could someone please explain to me what the lifters are and why i can hear them ticking and what i can do about it? thanks!

\m/

Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:53 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EL Futura

NSW, Australia

they are lil dooby wackers that get blocked up in the top of ur engin. They tend to tick when either their seals are not sealing anymore (and therefore it takes time for oil pressure to build and oil to go into them) or when they get old and oil deposits and dirt buildups block their small jackets inside and they dont pump properly again.

About $25 ea to replace yourself...not a very hard job at all once you take the tappet cover off....(fords have tappets holdens have lifters...both tick with the same probs). Go for your life. You should be able to tell what works and what doesnt via depressing the ones that you think are suspect, they should compress easily in your hands.

Andrew

Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

QLD, Australia

Yeah, just change your oil at 6000km intervals like I do and you never hear so much as a peep from them :D :D :D :D :D preferably PENRITE Oils as well :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:11 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

mm but if you cant shut them up with a oil change (which if they are ticking u prolly cant) u need to replace them. Keeping them healthy and clean with regular oil changes is the key to them lasting tho.

Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

mine tick almost every time my oil passess 10,000. Like as soon as it hits 10,001! Just a change of the oil and filter and another 10,000 of noise free driving...

Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:53 pm 
Tyre Shredder

ACT, Australia

nup. oil and filter just changed a few weeks ago. usually only makes the noise first thing in the morning. i guess oil can get in there, but sometimes (like today) it just won't shut up.

\m/

Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:01 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

yer, prolly just the seals, no oil in the top of the engin in the momring (thanks gravity!) then when the pressure finally builds up the oil starts getting into them and away you go, no ticking...but yep replace the suspect ones and you wont have probs. However, if you have probs with one...chances are the rest of them are not that happy either...best off to replace as many as you can afford to...wont be doing it again then...but if you want to just have a shot, replace whats got probs n dw about the rest.

Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

The retainers or seals are $30.00 for a pack (12) from Repco... The lifters are about that too, but for one.

Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

twr7cx wrote:
mine tick almost every time my oil passess 10,000. Like as soon as it hits 10,001! Just a change of the oil and filter and another 10,000 of noise free driving...

now this is one thing i just can't seem to work out... why the hell are you leaving your oil in for that long any way.
you should be changing it every 5000km
there is no oil that will last that long and still be able to protect your engine properly. not even fully synthetic oil.

Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

ndroo wrote:
fords have tappets holdens have lifters
so the windsors and clevelands are holden engines? :shock:

tappets and lifters are different items

Banned

Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: falcon

VIC, Australia

ok so help me out here... how do i get to these to fix them (mine are also gone) i will be doing my rocker cover gasket and leads at the same time...

what items will i need to fix the tappets (i'll be doing all 6 of them)

Team Cant Stop the Doof Doof

cubic inches - holdens excuse for old technology

Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
now this is one thing i just can't seem to work out... why the hell are you leaving your oil in for that long any way.
you should be changing it every 5000km
there is no oil that will last that long and still be able to protect your engine properly. not even fully synthetic oil.

The cars done 630,000km's, no rebuild still running fine and keeps up with other 4.0L I6's, and it's always been serviced every 10,000, as Ford recomends. By 5,000 it's not even black.

EDIT: I run on L.P.G. too... About 50% highway driving, very little inner city traffic driving and a bit of suburb driving. After 10,000km's my K&N still looks clean enough to not bother cleaning (but I do anyways).

Last edited by twr7cx on Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

distortion wrote:
ok so help me out here... how do i get to these to fix them (mine are also gone) i will be doing my rocker cover gasket and leads at the same time...

what items will i need to fix the tappets (i'll be doing all 6 of them)

Wouldnt you want to do 12?

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: R32 GTR

VIC, Australia

Service intervals really do depend on the fuel used as much as the engine is thrashed.

If you're only doing highway KM then its quite acceptable to do a service every 12,000km because the oil will have had a much easier life than someone in stop start city traffic.

I've always recommended more car savvy people perform an oil and filter change after X amount of litres of fuel has gone through the motor, not by how many KM it has done. But this means you need to keep log books and is generally wayyyyyyy too difficult for Joe and Jane average.

I worked it out for my taxi that it uses on average 12L/100km around town, therefore it will use 1,200 litres of fuel before it needs a 10,000km service. This is especially important if most of your driving is peak hour stop start traffic, this will wear an engine much more than highway KM, only if you do a change every 10,000km. You might have used 1,500 litres of fuel or more in stop-start traffic, this would be the equivalent to 15,000-17,000km of travel on the highway

Then again, my car is on LPG so no petrol dilutes the oil in the upper cylinder so I can get away with longer service intervals :)

Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:24 am 
Tyre Shredder

ACT, Australia

and so what exactly do the lifters do?

\m/

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next