Fordmods Logo

exhaust size 

Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post subject: Re:
Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Territory SX TX

QLD, Australia

[quote="Grimketel"] Those headers belong on a 1930's russian farm tractor.
quote]

I dont think theres much of a difference between a 1930's russian farm tractor and a new one IMHO... Theyre still s**t.

Post subject: Re: exhaust size
Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

shav wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
there is a simple fix to the question of 2.5 or 3

Fit a 3inch cat back system with a good 3 inch cat. Only you mount the cat at the main system flange instead of the extractor flange. you then use a short 20-25cm long bit of 2.5inch pipe from the extractors back to the cat. problem solved.

You get good air speed through the 2.5inch pipe and the extractors will function as if there is a complete 2.5inch system fitted only they won't be a strangled at higher RPM.

Interesting option there tickford. Have you seen this done before or is this just a suggestion?

Are you also saying to make the short piece of pipe adaptable with extra flanges to accept the extractors and cat?

He's saying to put a 30ish cm long bit of 2.5" pipe between the headers and cat, so your cat is approximately 30cm further towards the back of the car. Then use a 3" cat and catback (catback will have to be altered as will need to be around 30cm shorter before the diff).

I haven't seen this set up but have seen headers where the secondaries were really long and effectively did the same thing, minus any tuning benefits as a result of the headers used. Only problem is your cat becomes less efficient as temperature drops, how much difference there is in temp and how this affects emissions I'm not sure...

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

shav wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
there is a simple fix to the question of 2.5 or 3

Fit a 3inch cat back system with a good 3 inch cat. Only you mount the cat at the main system flange instead of the extractor flange. you then use a short 20-25cm long bit of 2.5inch pipe from the extractors back to the cat. problem solved.

You get good air speed through the 2.5inch pipe and the extractors will function as if there is a complete 2.5inch system fitted only they won't be a strangled at higher RPM.

Interesting option there tickford. Have you seen this done before or is this just a suggestion?

Are you also saying to make the short piece of pipe adaptable with extra flanges to accept the extractors and cat?

Yeah that way if you go supercharged later on all you need to do is replace the short 2.5 pipe with a 3inch one.

Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 75th Anniversary Futura

SA, Australia

thanks for the explanation fellas.
tickford - Im already running a s/c but only have a 2.5" mandrel system now and I have been told to modify the collector on the headers to a 3" then cat and 3" system after. But if I can get the same sort of benefits with w 30cm pipe with flange then cat at 3" system without modifying the collector on the headers and still have a good gain power wise, then I'll try that instead.

Cheers
Shav

Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

I just realised this thread was from before it was S/C...

Seeing as you are over 200rwkw and I am assuming you want to increase that just go 3" all the way. I had a mind blank and didn't realise what car it was on.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

shav wrote:
tickford - Im already running a s/c but only have a 2.5" mandrel system now and I have been told to modify the collector on the headers to a 3" then cat and 3" system after. But if I can get the same sort of benefits with w 30cm pipe with flange then cat at 3" system without modifying the collector on the headers and still have a good gain power wise, then I'll try that instead.

Sorry i didn't realise it already had a blower on it. Just put the 3inch system on it. I wouldn't worry about moding the collector to 3 inch, just go straight from the collector to a 3 inch pipe.
that gain wouldn't be worth the effort.

Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 75th Anniversary Futura

SA, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
shav wrote:

Sorry i didn't realise it already had a blower on it. Just put the 3inch system on it. I wouldn't worry about moding the collector to 3 inch, just go straight from the collector to a 3 inch pipe.
that gain wouldn't be worth the effort.

Awesome, will do. Im also in 2 minds as to whether or not I should also go down the same path TROYMAN has and convert the s/c to turbo. Hmm, thats a subject to be discussed in another thread.

Cheers
Shav

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3