Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: extractors and cam help
Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:47 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ford Falcon EF

SA, Australia

hey everyone im new to this site.
i got an EF falcon and only got a 2.5" catback on it. i was talking to one of my mates and he suggested extractors and a cam. i was just wondering if i should get a billet cam or just get mine grinded down? any help will be apprectiated,
look forward to hearing from people, cheers

Attachments:
Photo0028.jpg
Photo0028.jpg [ 51.75 KiB | Viewed 116 times ]

Post subject: Re: extractors and cam help
Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:00 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Welcome to the site mate and watch your bank account...it might just wither as you put more work into your car.

There are some threads already out there regarding camshafts and extractors. You might want to have a look at some of the sticky's in the 6 Cylinder forum.

But to get an idea, extractors are good for a little bit more oomph...how much you feel is debatable. It will let the engine breathe better. Will work well with a camshaft that requires an upgraded exhaust system.

Billet cam just makes it easier to install...plug and play so to speak. Regrind requires a bit more fiddling relatively speaking. Just need to add shims to the rocker arms to make up for the amount grouned off the original cam. Pretty simple and most people run regrinds without issues.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:06 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

1st off, not wanting to sound rude, but did you read the stickies at the top? im sure this question has been asked at least a few times in the last 2 pages.

now to be nice, because you asked better than most new members.

1. get a set of extractors and a decent highflow cat, 90% of people here get pacemakers, the tuned length ones from memory they are 4499's, speak to a few exhaust shops and see what you come up with, or ebay them, then get exhaust shop to mod put flanges on your cat.

2. cam, not as simple as just getting a cam, 1st figure out what you want from it(low rpm,high rpm dyno numbers, or proven track), then ask somewhere like the wadecams section above once youve figured out.
differance between billit and regrind simply put is, regrinds need an extra set of shims (cheap as poo from a wreckers), and billits dont, you can also get some of the larger profiles on billits only (the ones that require some motor work to work).

both are not too hard to install, even the cam (provided you take your time and follow the guide step by step the first time), and you can save some extra $$ for other mods.

p.s. phong your a faster typer than me :P

latest mod: A Service
MY BUILD THREAD

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: VY Commodore Wagon Accli

VIC, Australia

Your mate is defiantly right in saying a good starting base is to get Exhaust and Extractors. He is right in saying the good old Exhaust/Extractors + Cam package is the way to go.

With the Camshafts, I'm not too sure how much you know about them, so if I'm saying stuff you already know I apologize.

If you get a reground cam you will need to purchase shims from Ford.

As for Purchasing Cam's, there are 2 sponsor's on this forum that sell reground cam's.

The first is Cresent Motorsports, I'm not too sure how many people Joe has working for him, I'm fairly certain he just as the average workshop, his well known to fordmods and his dedicated in making customers happy.

The Second Company is Wade Cam's, If your car is an Auto, get the reground 1636 profile cam, if your car is a manual, get the 1673 profile cam.

Jim Mock Motorsports also sell cam's (Billet cam's I think), my car had the "DEV3HL" cam, you would be best to speak to Steady ED and John_Xr6 on their thoughts on the cam. Most people don't go to him though, because he is overpriced, and apparently just starts doing the salesman pitch and saying you will need such and such along with the cam and blah blah blah. The first 2 company's I will highly recommend over JMM....

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Successful Trades with: John_XR6 (John_LS1), Private9, Schmee, Manari, Kyle_Bardell, Greenhorn (Boostedfalcon.net), FTG AUTO SALVAGE, EVL098, Gogetta, EFIII, Krytox, Blue, Smik-EL, TP351.

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: AU XR6

Power: 171 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Jim mocks cams are all regrinds. Another cam maker is waggot, that's who I got my cam from and it cracks. Not sure how much torque it makes but it pulls like a train considering I only have intake and exhaust mods on a stock 260000 km motor that's never been opened. Pete waggot is a real good bloke to deal with to

9/98 AU1 XR6hp-about to retire from the road and be reborn on the race track.
86 ZL mint grandpa spec with premo sound and 150000km
07 TTG 60000km stock as, mods to come.
97 el futura about to be MOCKed

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]