Fordmods Logo

fairmont EF 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: fairmont EF
Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:24 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ef fairmont

QLD, Australia

Gidday guys,have an ef 160000 on clock mint car slight tear leaking from cylinder head,mechanic wants too put new head on,2100 dollaros.and four days too do.this sounds suspect.i can get a new engine for 2 750.wont a new head on old engine blow the a*** out of it,any advice appreciated,cheers.....

Post subject: Re: fairmont EF
Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:48 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

A small leak shouldn't be too much of an issue unless you are topping up oil/water constantly. Although if it is the original gasket, it may have had better days and could die anytime pending on service history and how it was treated.

By new head, I assume it would be a reconditioned head. If the block and head are both straight and true, using AU MLS head gasket, new head bolts, I would see no reason for the engine to blow anytime soon after replacement. From previous experience on prices, $2100 seems like a fair price for a complete head gasket change, considering the head needs to be sent away and skimmed, new gaskets/head bolts and block cleaned and checked + labour would add up.

When you say you can get a "new" engine for $2750, do you mean reconditioned engine from the bottom up with new parts? Remember the labour to pull your engine out, putting the new engine in and any broken/replacement parts that may be required along the way. You would add a further $1000-1500 to the cost of the engine.

Is the car running sluggish and going through a lot of oil/water?

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: NF Fairlane Ghia

QLD, Australia

Just stick an AU in it. Where in Brisbane are you? i could probably help out.

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:48 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

silver ef fairmont wrote:
Gidday guys,have an ef 160000 on clock mint car slight tear leaking from cylinder head,mechanic wants too put new head on,2100 dollaros.and four days too do.this sounds suspect.i can get a new engine for 2 750.wont a new head on old engine blow the a*** out of it,any advice appreciated,cheers.....

If the car has been well maintained then at 160,000km it is just run in :D .

Normal for the original headgasket to go at around 160,000 mark. Doing the head will not effect the eisting engine.

To reco your head, remove and install, parts (Coolant, oil etc) and labour, $2000 is about right. If you get it done, ensure that they use an AU MLS Headhgasket.

Is the "New" Motor actually new or reco or just 2nd hand?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]