Fordmods Logo

Falcon 6 Head Issue 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Falcon 6 Head Issue
Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:26 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Falcon XH

QLD, Australia

G’day Guys I have an old XH Ute which had a cracked head with the numbers 96DA-6090-AB on the front, the Camshaft out of that head appears to have had its numbers ground off and has new numbers engraved 94 DA 62 50 BA. I bought a new head which is out of an older model EF with 94AB on the front and 94DA-6090-AB on the inside. The Cam from the original head is extemly tight in the new head whereas it spun freely in the old one. I bought a Cam out of an EF and it has made no difference. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Falcon 6 Head Issue
Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:01 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

WestoXH wrote:
G’day Guys I have an old XH Ute which had a cracked head with the numbers 96DA-6090-AB on the front, the Camshaft out of that head appears to have had its numbers ground off and has new numbers engraved 94 DA 62 50 BA. I bought a new head which is out of an older model EF with 94AB on the front and 94DA-6090-AB on the inside. The Cam from the original head is extemly tight in the new head whereas it spun freely in the old one. I bought a Cam out of an EF and it has made no difference. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Is it 94 DA 62 50 AB?? and not BA?

94DA means EF camshaft, so it should fit the EF head without issue. Have you oiled the cam journals and surface the head before you put the cam on the head?

When you say freely, do you mean when you spun it by hand and it kept spinning? Or just the fact it was easier to spin? Was this with the rocker assembly reinstalled or just with the cam resting on the head?

Check the journals on the head to make sure they are not damaged as well, a slight dent could cause issues.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:55 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Quote:

94DA means EF camshaft, so it should fit the EF head without issue. Have you oiled the cam journals and surface the head before you put the cam on the head?

When you say freely, do you mean when you spun it by hand and it kept spinning? Or just the fact it was easier to spin? Was this with the rocker assembly reinstalled or just with the cam resting on the head? I

Check the journals on the head to make sure they are not damaged as well, a slight dent could cause issues.

I’m pretty sure the original Cam is an AB not a BA it’s just marked strangely. I tried oiling the journals but still stays tight. Both of the cams easily spin in the cracked head just in the new head there’s a lot of resistance. Rocker assembly was not installed the Cam was just resting on the head. I’ll check the journals and make sure they aren’t damaged once I’m home. The two cams are marked as the same but the new one has bigger lobes. Do you know what the interchangeability on falcon camshafts are?

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:36 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

WestoXH wrote:
Quote:

When you say freely, do you mean when you spun it by hand and it kept spinning? Or just the fact it was easier to spin? Was this with the rocker assembly reinstalled or just with the cam resting on the head? I

I’m pretty sure the original Cam is an AB not a BA it’s just marked strangely. I tried oiling the journals but still stays tight. Both of the cams easily spin in the cracked head just in the new head there’s a lot of resistance. Rocker assembly was not installed the Cam was just resting on the head. I’ll check the journals and make sure they aren’t damaged once I’m home. The two cams are marked as the same but the new one has bigger lobes. Do you know what the interchangeability on falcon camshafts are?

EF/EL are definitely interchangeable and I believe all E-series camshafts are interchangeable with just different profiles. AU camshafts also fit E-series heads, the only difference is you need to use AU rocker assembly with AU camshaft as well.

When you say bigger lobes, do you mean the width or the profile? Is there a stamp on one of the ends of the cam journals?

EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:03 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Quote:

EF/EL are definitely interchangeable and I believe all E-series camshafts are interchangeable with just different profiles. AU camshafts also fit E-series heads, the only difference is you need to use AU rocker assembly with AU camshaft as well.

When you say bigger lobes, do you mean the width or the profile? Is there a stamp on one of the ends of the cam journals?

Turns out I had the correct cams. Took the head into the engine shop and they said the head was bent and the Cam journals don’t line up. Told me they could repair it. Thanks mate for the help

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:23 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

WestoXH wrote:
Quote:

Turns out I had the correct cams. Took the head into the engine shop and they said the head was bent and the Cam journals don’t line up. Told me they could repair it. Thanks mate for the help

No worries, good to hear they found the problem and hopefully they can fix it. Good luck with it.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]