Fordmods Logo

Faulty Ignition Switch EF 96 

 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

 
 Post subject: Faulty Ignition Switch EF 96
Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:20 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 64

Posts: 19

Joined: 2nd Jun 2007

Location: Newcastle
NSW, Australia

Anyone else had dramas with the ignition on their EF?
Have to jiggle the crap out of it and pump contact cleaner in there to get the starter to fire sometimes! :shock:
Looks like a fiddly job to change it!
Can I get a new one to match my door key?
Somebody help! :idea:
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:23 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 122

Joined: 25th Apr 2005

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

Location: Gold Coast
QLD, Australia

I was up at Ford the other day and was quoted approx $185 for 2 x door locks, 1 x ignition barrel & 2 x keys

 

_________________

Knower of ALL......Master of NOTHING !!!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:32 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 64

Posts: 19

Joined: 2nd Jun 2007

Location: Newcastle
NSW, Australia

Squirt wrote:
I was up at Ford the other day and was quoted approx $185 for 2 x door locks, 1 x ignition barrel & 2 x keys


AAAWWW bloody ouch! :shock:
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 35

Posts: 3794

Joined: 9th Aug 2005

Ride: Hilux

Location: Mornington
VIC, Australia

thats not including the electrical part of the switch though. that may be the problem rather than the barrel

 

_________________

Now driving a Hilux

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:29 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 122

Joined: 25th Apr 2005

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

Location: Gold Coast
QLD, Australia

eskimo wrote:
Squirt wrote:
I was up at Ford the other day and was quoted approx $185 for 2 x door locks, 1 x ignition barrel & 2 x keys


AAAWWW bloody ouch! :shock:


JOYS OF DEALING WITH GENUINE PARTS

 

_________________

Knower of ALL......Master of NOTHING !!!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 35

Posts: 3794

Joined: 9th Aug 2005

Ride: Hilux

Location: Mornington
VIC, Australia

hey now now we arent all that bad squirt. some of us ford guys actually are alright with prices ;)

 

_________________

Now driving a Hilux

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Faulty Ignition Switch EF 96
Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 39

Posts: 1667

Joined: 23rd Dec 2004

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Boosted ED XR6, EBII Mont Wgn

Power: 252 rwkw

Location: Mildura
VIC, Australia

eskimo wrote:
Anyone else had dramas with the ignition on their EF?
Have to jiggle the crap out of it and pump contact cleaner in there to get the starter to fire sometimes! :shock:
Looks like a fiddly job to change it!
Can I get a new one to match my door key?
Somebody help! :idea:


this is not un-common, it can be easily fixed..
if you remove the column shroud you can get to the ignition tail (the bit the wires come out) if you push on the backing plate you will find it has movement, what you need to do is push the backing plate back in hold it in while gettin a screwdriver and small hammer and tap the crimpted edges back, to stop the backing plate from moving.. that should fix it.. it has worked for me in the past..

 

_________________

Image
[SEXYR-6] ED XR6 T5 Turbo Build
[EBW-347] EB Wagon V8 Stroker Build
FordMods Member #1761

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 48

Posts: 763

Joined: 5th Nov 2005

Ride: EF Fairmont

Location: oberon
NSW, Australia

Is this a common problem with the ef's as im having the same problem, at first I thought it may have been the inhibiter switch on the auto but it's not.

 

_________________

ef fairmont ghia 5.0L
classy cruiser

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:06 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 37

Posts: 4093

Joined: 20th Mar 2005

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

Location: Seaford State:
VIC, Australia

sure its not the smartlock? next time it fails, don't wiggle and giggle, tap the panel in front of your left knee, if it works... your BEM is the problem (fairly common) and cheaper/easier to fix.

 

_________________

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 48

Posts: 763

Joined: 5th Nov 2005

Ride: EF Fairmont

Location: oberon
NSW, Australia

I'll give it a try next time thanks

 

_________________

ef fairmont ghia 5.0L
classy cruiser

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 35

Posts: 3794

Joined: 9th Aug 2005

Ride: Hilux

Location: Mornington
VIC, Australia

BEM cheaper that ignition switch? where are you buying parts from ?

 

_________________

Now driving a Hilux

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:45 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 37

Posts: 4093

Joined: 20th Mar 2005

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

Location: Seaford State:
VIC, Australia

Ignition barrel is usually itemized as 'smartlock type' with key at most wreckers and might charge you around 45-$60.

You can use your old barrel in a new ignition.

The contacts at the back of the mechanism are well.... sorta known for fatigue.

BEM's in Melbourne are around 30-$50, depending on type if you go to anyone that knows their fords.

 

_________________

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Faulty Ignition Switch EF 96
Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 3115

Joined: 20th Dec 2004

Ride: Falcon

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

sexyr6 wrote:
eskimo wrote:
Anyone else had dramas with the ignition on their EF?
Have to jiggle the crap out of it and pump contact cleaner in there to get the starter to fire sometimes! :shock:
Looks like a fiddly job to change it!
Can I get a new one to match my door key?
Somebody help! :idea:


this is not un-common, it can be easily fixed..
if you remove the column shroud you can get to the ignition tail (the bit the wires come out) if you push on the backing plate you will find it has movement, what you need to do is push the backing plate back in hold it in while gettin a screwdriver and small hammer and tap the crimpted edges back, to stop the backing plate from moving.. that should fix it.. it has worked for me in the past..


This worked for me :)

 

_________________

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:56 am 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 64

Posts: 19

Joined: 2nd Jun 2007

Location: Newcastle
NSW, Australia

Very interesting!
Thanks for all the tips guys!
Will investigate all options :D
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Faulty Ignition Switch EF 96
Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:20 pm 
Tyre Shredder
Offline
User avatar

Age: 42

Posts: 368

Joined: 22nd Aug 2008

Ride: 2002 AUII Fairlane Sportsman V8

Location: Roxby Downs
SA, Australia

sexyr6 wrote:
this is not un-common, it can be easily fixed..
if you remove the column shroud you can get to the ignition tail (the bit the wires come out) if you push on the backing plate you will find it has movement, what you need to do is push the backing plate back in hold it in while gettin a screwdriver and small hammer and tap the crimpted edges back, to stop the backing plate from moving.. that should fix it.. it has worked for me in the past..

Will check my car out tomorrow. I am having some weird electrical issues where i have to jiggle the ignition key in order to get all the electricals to work properly.
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:11 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names