Fordmods Logo

FG XR6 Advice needed Supercharge or Turbo 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: FG XR6 Advice needed Supercharge or Turbo
Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:55 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: FG XR6 2012

TAS, Australia

Hi Gents I need some serious advice on the above subject and also about a few other things.I have Googled so much my keyboards wearing out. I have a Dec 2012 build regular XR6 and I want to modify it but properly ( Cost is not an issue ). I want to get some more grunt from it but not go V8 and make it look meaner. I need to know is it better to go turbo( 1 or twin ) or supercharge ( Under hood )? Also is it wise to re chip ? I also want to balance the motor and get it Lumpy and put S/Steel 2.5"extractors and dual system. I wish to modify the bonnet with the GT XB XC with the lock down buttons. Could anyone please point me into the direction of reputable companies that can do the Mods and or please teach me the best way to go about doing the mods. BTW I am in Tas but just shifted here from WA so don't hold it against me :D Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: FG XR6 Advice needed Supercharge or Turbo
Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:04 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: el xr6 turbo

VIC, Australia

In my opinion, turbo would be the best way about it. They came out as a xr6 turbo for a reason. Parts are well and truly available. All the advice needed is one simple google search away and turbo xr6's are proven power and reliability. But in saying that I know nothing really about superchargers?. Even tho money isn't a issue a turbo conversion would be a 10th of the cost of a supercharge conversion so you could put that money saved into gaining alot more power. That's my opinion.

To all the supercharger guys out there, even id love to hear some insight on how they perform and also a average price figure for a decent setup?

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:28 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

TAS, Australia

theliquidsauce wrote:
In my opinion, turbo would be the best way about it. They came out as a xr6 turbo for a reason. Parts are well and truly available. All the advice needed is one simple google search away and turbo xr6's are proven power and reliability. But in saying that I know nothing really about superchargers?. Even tho money isn't a issue a turbo conversion would be a 10th of the cost of a supercharge conversion so you could put that money saved into gaining alot more power. That's my opinion.

To all the supercharger guys out there, even id love to hear some insight on how they perform and also a average price figure for a decent setup?

Thanks theliquidsauce I appreciate your input. I am not that mechanically minded hence my post. I have Googled and Googled but don't have a clear view or can't find someone who's the full bottle on both systems and specs. What I do know is Turbo's are good for top end speed where as S/Crgr good for getting upto speed ie takeoff.

Turbo's are very thirsty whereas S/C's are more economical in the long run. Then I need to have a reliable Intercooler system. I need to know of Good reputable companies either mainland in Melbourne or in Tas and also a Good exhaust system to go with it.

Does anyone have either a Turbo or Dual Turbo or S/Chrged 6 if so can you give me some basic specs ie secs 0-100 whether quicker than a shart or constipated like a diesel. Many thanks for all inputs. 8-)

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:38 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

If you want to turbo your fg save yourself time and $$

sell you NA one and buy a factory turbo

fuel econ is governed buy your right foot

no need to chip it, there are tuners out there that will be able to flash the ecu to a suitable tune

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:26 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Skiddiesinmeundies wrote:
Hi Gents I need some serious advice on the above subject and also about a few other things.I have Googled so much my keyboards wearing out. I have a Dec 2012 build regular XR6 and I want to modify it but properly ( Cost is not an issue ). I want to get some more grunt from it but not go V8 and make it look meaner. I need to know is it better to go turbo( 1 or twin ) or supercharge ( Under hood )? Also is it wise to re chip ? I also want to balance the motor and get it Lumpy and put S/Steel 2.5"extractors and dual system. I wish to modify the bonnet with the GT XB XC with the lock down buttons. Could anyone please point me into the direction of reputable companies that can do the Mods and or please teach me the best way to go about doing the mods. BTW I am in Tas but just shifted here from WA so don't hold it against me :D Thanks in advance

You don't "chip" BA/Bf/FG PCM's, they are flash tunes to suit your application.

If You are wanting to "Boost" the engine go for a 3" system.

Why would you use extractors if you are looking at Turbo?

As for the bonnet, aquire a good XB Centre and then go to a good Panel Shop and talk with them. Make sure you are sitting down when they give you the price. XB/XC Bonnets are made from real steel. FG Bonnets are made with tinfoil (Thin as paper). It is hard enough doing it on EF/EL Bonnets let alone an FG.

Skiddiesinmeundies wrote:
Turbo's are very thirsty whereas S/C's are more economical in the long run. Then I need to have a reliable Intercooler system. I need to know of Good reputable companies either mainland in Melbourne or in Tas and also a Good exhaust system to go with it.

Does anyone have either a Turbo or Dual Turbo or S/Chrged 6 if so can you give me some basic specs ie secs 0-100 whether quicker than a shart or constipated like a diesel. Many thanks for all inputs. 8-)

I think you need to do a lot more research. Turbos are no more "thirsty" than a Supercharger, it is all in the tune and how you drive it (right foot).

You will need an intercooler for both unless you are using a PD Supercharger. Chrgers like the Raptors etc are basically belt driven turbos and will generate a lot of heat as the boost climbs.

0-100 is like asking what length is a piece of string. Comes down to a number of things, level of boost, tune, gear ratios, diff ratio, exhaust, intake, fuel, driver, etc.

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:23 am 
Fordmods Newbie

TAS, Australia

Thank you to everyone who wrote in. I was thinking of extractors if I went S/Crgr route. Anyhoo I am def doing the bonnet first then get some quotes for both systems and then work on the exhaust. But on a last note I'll post up pics as I go along and any ideas for doing the Blah interior would help to. I am def going Leather with XR6 stitched in. Thank you all again for you inputs gents much appreciated. :D

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]