Fitting An AU engine into Boxcar 

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Fitting An AU engine into Boxcar
Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

Hi guys.. just read through the sticky's in this section of the mods and read various other posts around the joint and i am comtemplating upgrading my ole' 3.9 upto an AU engine,

the sticky says,

Quote:
AU to EA-ED
Due to the larger alloy sump the AU bottom end wont fit in the ea-ed k-frame as is. To get around this, grind the front of the sump until it fits. Easist to then fit a TFI dizzy in place of the cam angle sensor and install as EL engine.

So i assume that this is how i would do it

Grind the front moulding things off the AU Sump, Get an AU 6 Bellhousing for T5, remove the dizzy setup that the AU uses and replace with any 4L dizzy from EB/ED/EL.... and that would pretty much be the engine in.

Another thing i don't think that i would put the bbm back on i would reinstall the older style of manifold used on EB to XH (non xr6)

So would this be as simple as if i was just swapping engines from EB to EB.... minus the few minor things to get the AU engine ready?

OR should i just go for a low K EL hybrid motor???

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: fairmont

QLD, Australia

if u look on ebay there is a fella who is selling au motors that will go straight in with a modified sump.

Now i have a EF XR8 5spd.........mmmmmm 5L

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:20 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

its almost as easy as just changing your std engine.
other than the sump mods/k frame mods its pretty straight forward.
except the issue with using the serpentine belt with the log manifold.
you may have already read this..
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=85

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

The AU T5 bellhousings are rare and costly - $150 from a wrecker or well over $700 from Fraud. Troyman used the E series one with some missing bolts. BTW you will need the AU alternator and bracket as well.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 1989 300ZX Twin turbo Z32

QLD, Australia

yeh u dont need to bother getting an au bellhousing. all the big important bolts still line up

imho its best to run full serpentine belt setup (you'll need to get new alternator, powersteering pump, aircon etc. (you'll need to use bbm if you do this coz otherwise the log manifold will hit the aircon compressor).

you'd probably need to run thermo fans then too coz the au waterpump doesnt have a clutch fan attachment.

running el ecu would be best

Sold my EB :(
Now got my 300zx :)

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yeah thanks guys i think i will keep reading an i will decide... i think if i choose the AU engine over the EL i will prolly do it on some time betwwen the 21 Dec and 2nd Jan........ i got 12 days off decause of christmas holidays etc etc

if i read more and get some idea of a basic step to step process that doco in the tech doco is a good read....

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Hi Guys been reading and looking at the AU engine's and the EB engines at work and i have an idea but i will put it up here so it will get shot downe or endoursed.

Get the Bare AU motor No Water Pump, No Pullies, No Harmonic Balancer just the Block and the Head..

Get My EB engine and put the Water Pump, The Pullies, The Harmonic Balancer and the intake Manifold and Extractors then grind the fins (front sump moldings)

So at the end of it The AU engine will have all the EB externals then simply drop in plug in the looms reinstall bolts and nuts etc etc wiring hoses etc and off i go....

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

your old alternator will not bolt up (different mountings). also i believe the aircon compressor bolts higher up on au than on an eb (therefore in the way of the log manifold). powersteering should be fine. not sure bout the waterpump.

the extractors will fit and the intake manifold will bolt up (except for aircon in the way).

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

when i put my au motor in i wanted to keep the eb accessories initially also. but realised it was quite hard to do so.

once your get all the au accesories (use ef/el aircon compressor tho - au has diff hoses) then you'll love the single belt setup. no more squealing belts and so easy to change

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

hmmm i will do some more research and reading might even look at the water pumps and such..... in the way of the alternator might research the pullies and such..........

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Last night i was Reading some various s**t and just random XF related stuff then I had an idea....

What if i got an old EA/EB/ED Manifold and cut it about 3 inches from the head and then get a XF MPFI intake and cut it in the same way and alloy weld them together and put a EF EL Throttle body or use the EB TB with a EA CPI allerator cable....

i think this would get me away from using the whole BBM system i can utilise the EL airbox setup

And solve the Air Con Compressor issue..... so i can use the serpentine belt system but then i would have to put a set of thermos in...

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

Just use the BBM, problem solved. Well almost you will need a signal to switch it, either by EL ecu or a jaycar rpm switch.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Last edited by twase on Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

i wouldnt bother with all the welding crap.

just bolt up the bbm and bite the bullet and buy all serpentine belt accessories.

if you are going to use the bbm then you MUST use an el ecu. it is absolutely pointless to use your current ecu and a rpm switch. the bbm is worthless without the proper timing maps to suit. if that means getting a smartlock bypass then so be it.

if you dont want to go down this route then you need to buy an ef/el motor and run your old accessories off it.

but imho the au motor is much better and they are cheap as chips to buy (also would have done less kays then an ef/el).

and yes you will need thermofans. Make sure you buy the relays and have them properly wires to the el ecu. using dodgy davies craig switch setup is not reccommended as they only come on single speed.

having said that - i am going to use a davies craig switch in my 300zx to replace the clutch fan. but im wiring it all differently so that the fan will be 2 speed - i.e slow speed constantly and using thermo switch to engage high speed at a certain temp. and i have another fan mounted in front of the radiator anyway.

hope this helps

Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Slowly thinking and saving money for a engine swap saw a AU motor on ebay without the pullies etc on the front and i am still considering getting the AU motor and use the EB waterpump, tensioner pullies and that the only thing that iam unsure about is the harmonic blancer???/

all the mounts from the EB Motor to the AU motor look the same but ism sitll unsure i still haven't got a diffentive answer about these things

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

man dont do it the dodgy s**t way get a complete motor and acillaries and throw her in that way with the BBM and EL ecu with smartlock bypass.

ED Fairmont, Ghia mock DOHC-T 11.6 @ 118 Trying to get back to the 1/4!

Last edited by edfairmont4.0 on Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next