Fitting an EA - early EB engine into an XA 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Fitting an EA - early EB engine into an XA
Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

Hi guys,
I need to replace the tired 250 in an XA sedan I have and I've been scared off from using a later engine by smartlock and scary wiring (I've read the various stickys on here too) - but my question is about EA - early EB engines - my understanding is these pre-date smartlock and (I assume) are easier to wire?

Can I just yank out the loom and ECU, plug it in on the XA and it'll go? Or am I being too simplistic about it?

Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated!!

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Post subject: Re: Fitting an EA - early EB engine into an XA
Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:44 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

tearlejc wrote:
Hi guys,
I need to replace the tired 250 in an XA sedan I have and I've been scared off from using a later engine by smartlock and scary wiring (I've read the various stickys on here too) - but my question is about EA - early EB engines - my understanding is these pre-date smartlock and (I assume) are easier to wire?

wiring's about the same ..... just don't need ta do anything re smartlock etc - will it be manual or auto??

tearlejc wrote:
Can I just yank out the loom and ECU, plug it in on the XA and it'll go? Or am I being too simplistic about it?

a little simplistic .. all depends on if ya want a stand alone engine system or a combined engine body wiring ie EA/EB wiring engine only or EA/EB running the lot

tearlejc wrote:

one thing ya canna bet on here . . . . . . .... :mrgreen:

a couple of the people here have gone lata engines using stand alone [DOHC engine only wiring] in say an EA/EB

Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:53 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

tearlejc wrote:
Hi guys,

You do realise that if you install a later engine, ie 1994 into a 1972 car, that you will need to comply with that engines emisions standards (1994).

Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

SWC wrote:
tearlejc wrote:
Hi guys,

You do realise that if you install a later engine, ie 1994 into a 1972 car, that you will need to comply with that engines emisions standards (1994).

Hi, yeh I don't have a problem with that, I don't want to modify it, I basically just want a reliable replacement engine that can sit on freeway speeds etc - there seem to be endless EA / EB's out there around the 500 buck mark. To be honest if its too complex I'd be just as happy to go crossflow - as in XC - XF but they seem to be getting a bit thin on the ground....basically I want to pick up a donor car around the 5 - 600 buck mark, use what I need, ditch the rest. Not interested in aftermarket management because it would obviously blow the cheapie budget out the window. I'd rather go manual but I'd consider an auto...

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:07 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 1978 xc gxl falon

QLD, Australia

Hi mate I just done a au 4.0 with a gt45 turbo,, 5; xh diff, conversion in a 78xc,, if u got a bit of common sense its straight toward,, I'm running the au4.0 with a ed dizzy, using a xh ecu harness, 6dbd ecu with a smartlock bypass module,,,ed injector harness,, el radiator & thermos.. still using the xc tailshaft,, goes like the clappers,lol. Put some life into the old falcon... Just yell out if u need advice..good to see more retro work getting done..

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]