fitting stainless steel extractors onto EF EL 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: fitting stainless steel extractors onto EF EL
Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:00 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: four wheels and an engine

VIC, Australia

hi guys,

grabbed meself a pair of stainless steel extractors.

i fit them on my EL, but only after the extractors touch the transmission housing and didnt seal properely onto the head.. bit of a problem we have here. i can sort of hear some unsealed exhaust valve sound (sounds like a constant f@rt) around the extractor area.

their exhaust outlet parallel runners are much shorter than paceys, and therefore the Y collector pipe literally presses against the transmision/bellhousing. that being said, they give less low down torque than the paceys right? dunno if i did myself a favour by buying one

you guys reckon i grind off some from the tabs of the bell housing? maybe like 15mm? shouldnt be a problem right? that way it would make clearance for the steel extractors to fit, without touching the bellhousing and preventing a full clamp onto the cylinder head

Post subject: Re: fitting stainless steel extractors onto EF EL
Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:26 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL Falcon

NSW, Australia

I have the same problem on my EL, they are very close to the tranny and when the car idle's it sometimes "rattles" on the housing too, but it never does it when the car is being driven under power. I think this is a problem that is maybe inherent in the EF's and EL's due to the way the exhaust is routed on the six's. I don't know what brand my extractors are, I just went down to my local exhaust place and said "throw some extractors on" (with the corresponding bigger diameter pipe all the way back) but it sounds like your problem is worse, that the clearance is even less. Maybe you should exchange the ones you got for some other type of extractors with a tad more clearance if you haven't used them yet....

==> http://www.black-sabbath.com :: The Black Sabbath World Wide Web <==

Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:09 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: four wheels and an engine

VIC, Australia

hi soviet,

priviet braat. lol

i know what problem you have, as i had to solve that one too earleir.

my exhaust was rattling at the back near my bumper. i took a look under and saw that the metal tab that sticks out the side of the exhaust was tapping against the chassis, which made it rattle on low rpm. i put a rubber grommit in between the metal pointy tab and chassis, it stopped.

normally what the long metal tab does is it holds a rubber band between the chasis and exhaust and suspends the exhaust in the air. however when you change the exhaust, the height changes and is now closer to the chassis, and rattles against it. easy fix, just shove a rubber grommit with a notch in between so it can sit comfortably around the knob of the tab and not fall out. put anything there basically that will stop it from rattling on the metal and making noise

Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:45 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL Falcon

NSW, Australia

spasiba tovarish!
I'll check that out ;)

==> http://www.black-sabbath.com :: The Black Sabbath World Wide Web <==

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]