fitting welchplugs under exaust manifold 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: fitting welchplugs under exaust manifold
Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:57 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: falcon au

QLD, Australia

Could anyone advise me if there is an easy way to install front welch plug under exaust manifold, i was able to remove the weepy welchplug from underneath the vehicle without removing anything, but having trouble driving home the plug as i cannot reach the top because of a rail, nothing in my manuals tell me how to remove this rail, this will have to be removed so i can do the others on this side, much appreciated Yinnarlad

Post subject: Re: fitting welchplugs under exaust manifold
Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 08 BF Ghia

VIC, Australia

Unfortunatly been there and done that and it was a complete pain in the a**. I had to lift the rocker cover, exhaust manifold, and there is a few bolts under the bbm one near firewall and then you should be able to get the rail out, then you should be able to hit the welch plug in properly, get a new o ring seal for where it enters behind the waterpump while you are at it. You might be able to get the plug in without doing that i tried first but then i made a small nick in the rail and it started to leak coolant, so then i had to get a new rail:( I dont know why ford make life so difficult!
It took me the best part of a day to remove and install. Maybe if you have a hoist and special tools it may be quicker. good luck with it

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

It would be easier to remove the exhaust manifold completely to give yourself more room to work. I found that by not removing parts for repairs always prolongs the job. The water pipe around the block won't need to be disturbed then. If you're planning to keep your car for a while then you might as well replace all of them on that side of the block.

Use some Loctite, or similar, on the new ones when reinstalling them.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:01 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

thanks guys for your advice, will try to remove rail, and will replace o ring just to be safe as i think i might have knocked it trying to drive the plug home as water seeped out a little, well one of those jobs where the parts cost a couple of dollars but the effort trying to remove parts to get to where you want to work is painfull, will persist, much appreciated

Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:32 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Did you replace just the one welch plug?

I know it's a pain to remove the intake and exhaust manifold and replace them all, but I guarantee the coolant welch plugs will all start to corrode if one has already and is still stock steel and not brass.

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:55 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Gday, replaced all 5 plugs on maniford side ended up replacing o ring on heater pipe too, as i did pressure test and had some water seepage their, bit of a pain with gas items attached, but all back together now and no leaks whoo hooo

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]