Fordmods Logo

flat spot when under load after head swap 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: flat spot when under load after head swap
Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:04 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 5.0L eb fairmont ghia, xe ute

QLD, Australia

I recently cracked the head on my xh longreach so i replaced the head with a complete au tickford non vct head including cam and rocker gear it seems to run quite good until you put it under load like going up a hill or in a high gear it gets a flat spot like its starving for fuel do i need to change to a xr6 fuel regulator or adjust timing to suit the tickford cam.

Post subject: Re: flat spot when under load after head swap
Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:11 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: falcon ba futura

New Zealand

Has the head been skimmed? i remmember it being an issue on the E series if more than .010 inch was taken off the anti knock sensor would kick in and retard the timing. you can get thicker gaskets for them now but it used to be a real issue in the eary days

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:45 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

yes the head was skimmed but im not sure by how much and i used an au mls head gasket which i think are thinner than e series graphite gasket so do i need to advance the timing a bit to stop this happening

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:30 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

Possbly,tho the problem was due to the sensor detecting pre-ignition due to higher compression, advancing timing may just cause the sensor to try and offset it.maybe this is where you need an ecu mod. Be intresting to find out.

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 96 EL XR6

QLD, Australia

Disconnect the knock sensor and go for a run, will run fine without it, will just put a code in the ecu saying its faulty, many people run without them, ~ Simplest way to find out.

I had my head skimmed .30 thou and put an AU MLS gasket in and had no problems, went like a cut snake compared to before, amazing how the small boost in compression made such a difference.

EL XR6, T5 Speed - Full Factory Fitted Tickford Body Kit, AU Engine, Billet Camtech 845 Cam, J3 Chip, MLS Gasket, Intake, Extractors, High flow cat, 2 1/2in exhaust, K&N Air Filter, 3.45 LSD, - My Pride and Joy

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:43 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

Whats the j3 chip i see mentioned sometimes?

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:59 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

tried disconnecting the knock sensor and it made it worse looks like i might have to change the fuel reg to an xr6 one and also get a j3 chip to give it a xr6 tune.

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

XR6Chris wrote:
Whats the j3 chip i see mentioned sometimes?

A little light reading for you :D
off-topic-f6/tuning-your-falcon-with-a-t-i-performance-j3-chip-t68577.html

By far the best money I spent on my EF XR6.

TI Performance provided excellent service (before and after sale). There are other suppliers as well.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

mad351 wrote:
tried disconnecting the knock sensor and it made it worse looks like i might have to change the fuel reg to an xr6 one and also get a j3 chip to give it a xr6 tune.

If it ran worse id say it's doing its job and is retarding the timing when it's connected to try and achieve a "safe point"

Check your timing, your possibly too far advance for the slight boost in compression, it should run fine on the standard computer and fuel reg, 300kpa reg over fuels them, my XR made more power going from 300kpa to 270kpa on the standard XR tune, (no I don't have Dyno sheets sorry)

Also check the balancer hasn't spun, will give you a false reading of the timing if it has.
Make sure you put the ecu into diagnostic mode when setting/checking the timing, otherwise it will be severely retarded if you set it to TDC without being in Diag. Mode.

You havnt accidentally let the chain slip a couple of teeth on the cam sprocket?? At TDC compression stroke the cam mark should be around 3mm above the right hand side of the head.

EL XR6, T5 Speed - Full Factory Fitted Tickford Body Kit, AU Engine, Billet Camtech 845 Cam, J3 Chip, MLS Gasket, Intake, Extractors, High flow cat, 2 1/2in exhaust, K&N Air Filter, 3.45 LSD, - My Pride and Joy

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

If the above checks out fine, I'd be next throwing a fuel pressure guage on it to check fuel pressure, condition of the pump itself and check valve. Replace your fuel filter too if it has not been done recently.

Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:10 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

if the chain was out a couple of teeth or even 1 tooth wouldnt it be running pretty rough or not wanting to run at all

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]