Fordmods Logo

Flat spots/pausing through the rev range? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Flat spots/pausing through the rev range?
Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:52 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BF XT Falcon

VIC, Australia

So I've had this issue for a while now, but I'd love to get an idea on what's happening.

So, with my 4L bf falcon, when I accelerate I often notice that the engine sort of pauses or lags as the revs increase, for example, from idle, I put my foot down, not all the way though, and it will go like, 1000rpm, half a second flat spot, 1500rpm, half a second flat spot, 2000rpm half a second flat spot, so on and so forth, if I plant my foot hard it seems to detonate, that sort of tick tick tick, you can hear it sort of miss I guess and the engine lags for a second then it's fine. Could this have something to do with the coils? Or something else perhaps? Any opinions welcome.

Post subject: Re: Flat spots/pausing through the rev range?
Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:32 pm 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

The first thing I would do if i was to go blindly is chuck a new genuine set of coils and plugs in and seeing how it goes. They tend to start to die at around 100 to 120,000 kays.
Or if you can get access to a diagnostic checker you may get a more accurate answer.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:40 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

Righteo, the car has done roughly 160k now, I replaced the plugs about 10k ago, so I guess if it's common for the coils to die around that kilometre range I'd say they have done pretty well lol. I was looking at a set of VDO coils from eBay for $140, what do you think?

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:16 pm 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

Cant comment on the VDO stuff mate because im not using them. I will let other members thats used them share their thoughts on this. :)

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

I used vdo and found them to fix my bad start problem and are still running fine after about 30.000kms. Get a mechanic or mate with a diagnostic scanner to check for codes. There is a feature that picks up which cylinders misfire or how often the engine is doing it which will help tell you what's going on. I got bad fuel once and I had the codes intermittent misfire: cyl 1 and random intermittent misfire: all cylinders
So try running good fuel and a fuel system cleaner if you always use cheap fuel

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:39 am 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

So I've ordered a bluetooth OBD2 diagnostic scanner, so that will come in handy in the future anyway. So does anyone else have any experience with the VDO coils? They go for about $140, genuine are about $250, there are cheaper coils on eBay for around $70-$80 but I think I'll steer clear of those cheapies. I read somewhere that cracked coils can cause miss fire under load, is this accurate? It would explain what's happening to me when I plant the foot.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]