Fordmods Logo

?Flooding ED? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: ?Flooding ED?
Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:56 am 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

Hi guys,

I just picked up a second ED as a bit more of a streetable daily driver a couple of months ago. It's done 210,000 kms and is in really good nick. Just recently, a couple of times when I've gone to start it, it hasn't started first go. Then it will be a b**ch to start, usually only starting when I dump the accelerator to the floor. It smells VERY rich when it does start after this! I've checked my plugs, and while they could do with a change (getting done next weekend) they do seem OK. Can cars with ECU's flood? Anything else I should look at which may cause this to happen?

Pete

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EA Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

Check the TPS is giving correct volatge, 1.0V at throttle closed and 4.5V max at WOT

Full working BA Shifter now upgraded to BF Shifter.
BA headlight inserts in my EA headlights.

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:01 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

to answer your question about flooding - unless there is something SERIOUSLY wrong with the car, it is impossible for it to actually flood. On that note I would like to say that by flood I mean, pumping the accelerator, which just opens the TB in a fuel injected car. On the other hand, if when you start it, the fuel doesn't get burnt (the ecu pumps in fuel when you crank the engine obviously), then you will flood it yes.

You say it runs like a b**ch, meaning it misses? or just runs like crap. Either way, Id get new leads, dizzy cap, and rotor, and while your at it, check your coil, cos something tells me that its an ignition related problem.

And as for dumping the accelerator when starting it, that would help yes. The ecu has a built in function whereby if you hold the accel. pedal at WOT (wide open throttle), the ecu won't feed the engine fuel until it starts. This is used when the engine is flooded.

Anyway, good luck, and go over spark.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]