Fordmods Logo

Ford EL crank really fast but no start [ SOLVED ] 

Page 3 of 4 [ 60 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: Ford EL crank really fast but no start - PLZ HELP !!!
Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 96 EL XR6

QLD, Australia

cjh wrote:
Sounds like grabbin another donk will be easier.

+1

AU conversion time :twisted:

Unless you love the E series engine like i do.. haha :mrgreen:

EL XR6, T5 Speed - Full Factory Fitted Tickford Body Kit, AU Engine, Billet Camtech 845 Cam, J3 Chip, MLS Gasket, Intake, Extractors, High flow cat, 2 1/2in exhaust, K&N Air Filter, 3.45 LSD, - My Pride and Joy

Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:55 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: four wheels and an engine

VIC, Australia

aah hard decision to make... well atleast i dont have to get an ugly AU shell, lol ill make do with the engine
but that also means engine bay loom / wiring etc. how much will it cost to put in an AU engine? (engine + fitment + wiring everything up)... then cos its supposed to be xr6 spec, i guess ill have to put in an au xr6 engine,, ow more money going away lol :roll:

if you can gimme approx how much it will cost (au xr6 enngine + wiring + fitting) ill start savin up now..

just when the summer kicks in i have a dud engine lol no cruises for me :x

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

You wont feel much difference between the std au and the xr au, wiring harness as far as i know doesnt need to be changed, you convert the AU engine to the dizzy setup,
Sump needs to be modded,
Theres a thread on here somewhere with complete how to on converting to a au engine, have a search around for it mate :)

EL XR6, T5 Speed - Full Factory Fitted Tickford Body Kit, AU Engine, Billet Camtech 845 Cam, J3 Chip, MLS Gasket, Intake, Extractors, High flow cat, 2 1/2in exhaust, K&N Air Filter, 3.45 LSD, - My Pride and Joy

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:21 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Falcon96XR6 wrote:
You wont feel much difference between the std au and the xr au, wiring harness as far as i know doesnt need to be changed, you convert the AU engine to the dizzy setup,
Sump needs to be modded,
Theres a thread on here somewhere with complete how to on converting to a au engine, have a search around for it mate :)

Yep read thru the topics, seems quite doable. Just need a superhero to bold the engine on for me first as I dont have a hoist. Then I can happily do the rest. Am a student so im on a pretty tight budget.. oyeah gotta find an au engine first. You reckon if j just put a std au engine and tune it up ill get the same power as an xr au? Arent the au vct xr's like 172kw? And the stock ones should be only 157 I think... thats like 15kw difference :?

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

ahmedkayihan wrote:

Yep read thru the topics, seems quite doable. Just need a superhero to bold the engine on for me first as I dont have a hoist. Then I can happily do the rest. Am a student so im on a pretty tight budget.. oyeah gotta find an au engine first. You reckon if j just put a std au engine and tune it up ill get the same power as an xr au? Arent the au vct xr's like 172kw? And the stock ones should be only 157 I think... thats like 15kw difference :?

Knowing how to extract extra power is an art..........my ED was 148Kw ( I think ???) at the flywheel when new.....it now has 161Kw at the treads.....using a stock EF XR6 cam, plus other things....still using the original stock bottom end.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

cjh wrote:
Knowing how to extract extra power is an art...........

+1!

Gotta love the Inline6 before it loves you back :wink: :twisted:

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:13 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

cjh wrote:
ahmedkayihan wrote:

Knowing how to extract extra power is an art..........my ED was 148Kw ( I think ???) at the flywheel when new.....it now has 161Kw at the treads.....using a stock EF XR6 cam, plus other things....still using the original stock bottom end.

Please tell me more!! Did you turbo it? What did you do?
I got quoted to fit a std au engine into my el. Non vct au engine, 110k kms, $1100. Includes engine and labour and fitment.

That being said, can I put an au vct into my el?

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Yes, but vct gear must be left unplugged, unless you plan on running vct computer,

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Falcon96XR6 wrote:
Yes, but vct gear must be left unplugged, unless you plan on running vct computer,

Ah k does vct make any major difference? N would I lose power if I left I unplugged? Sounds like the std au engine on 110 000 kms is a good option?

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Yeah i would go that one, just make sure it has done 110xxxkms and theyre not lying. Id suggest buying one from a wrecker or someone thats going to give you a warranty period.

And you wont lose any power having it unplugged as far as i know. Someone else can help you out in that area abit more,

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:46 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Things required to fit AU engine to EF/EL

1) Sump needs to be modified to fit K-Frame, you can cut and weld the K-Frame but that is up to you, will need engineering after being cut. You cannot use an EF/EL sump as the sump is totally different to AU.

2) Need to use AU/BF alternator or you will need to modify the block and drill and tap mount points to mount the EF/EL alternator.
If you use an AU I alternator you will need to change the plug for the alternator to one from an AUI as these are different from the Mitsubishi alternators.
Note: Believe that the AUII & III and BA alternators have the same plug as EF/EL.

3) Remove the block where the Dizzy (EL) or cam sensor (EF) goes and remove the gear from the shaft and fit to your Dizzy (EL) or Cam Sensor (EF). This will then mean that the gears are matching and you should have no issues, there have been issues with dizzys failing when this has not been done. Some modding will be required to use the existing mount point, extra notch/grind Cam sensor.
Note:Do not try and drill hole in existing EF position on AU block, you will drill through the block.

4) You will need to use an EF/EL thermostat housing as these have your temp sensor and AU housings do not.

5) You will need to use the EF/EL BBM as the uppers are different to the AU. Also us the EF/EL throttle body as some of the plugs are different to the AU.

6) Use the EF/EL wiring loom.

7) You will need to tap the block with an M12 1.5 tap if using the EF/EL Knock sensor. If using the AU sensor you will need to modify the plug.

8) a) You will need to cut the EF/EL AC pump mount spacers down to 30mm to suit the AU block as well as shortening the bolts by 10mmm if using the AU alternator to suit the standard serpentine belt.
b) If using the EF/EL alternator with modified mounts you will not need to cut down the mounts and be able to use the standard Serpentine belt.
c) Alternatively you can use the AU alternator , standard AC spacers and a Serpentine belt from an XH (Slightly longer).

9) Use the EF/EL power steering pump. This is a direct bolt up. The AU pump hose connection is different to the EF/EL.

10) You do not need to change the Harmonic balancer for either EL (Dizzy) or EF Coil Pack.

11) If fitting to EF you will need to use your original Coil Pack or an AUI coil pack as these are different to AUII & III. (different plug)

12) you can use the AU head or fit you EF/EL head, that is up to you.

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:06 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

ahmedkayihan wrote:
Falcon96XR6 wrote:
Sump needs to be modded,

to be honest if your on a tight budget best to find a good running ef/el engine and put it in... nothing to modify just a simple engine swap!..

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:41 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

@Falcon96: Yeah, I hope so too.. and apparently they got HEAPS of engines on low k's. au, ba, bf, fg lol. theyre morelans auto something like that. checked their ebay site they got a whole storage of them. au dont sound too bad. if nonvct/unplugged vct isnt gona be a big deal, i would go for it. whats the deal with a vct anyway? makes you full throttle and redline quicker? lol

SWC: yes sir, thats Exactly the one I read and am talking about. 8-) excellent post. but what do you mean about tapping the block for the knock sensor? is el knock sensor having a fatter thread than the au? smaller? bigger? no thread hole? i got confused..

Troyman: yeah im on a tight budget, but just kind of traumatised that my next ef/el engine will blow blow again. i suffered too much from blowing heads (lol no pun intended), and i dont wanna see another b***job done, costed me like almost a grand doing headjobs just so see it blow again :cry:
and an old school mechaninc told me that when ur blows a head, the bottom end is also weakened so the newly fitted stronger head is too good and tight for the loosened bottom end, which gives way too. sounded reasonable. cos he did 3 gasket jobs on his car and just got a new engine instead. told me the same too. so my el engine is going in the bin thats for sure

so im at my last few reserves of cents..
unless i can find a strong el engine (possibly a good rebuild with au gasket and a strong head which hasnt lost its strength and toughness), or an au engine. and if someone can bolt it up, ill do the rest. who wants to make 500 bux in a day? :D

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

ahmedkayihan wrote:
cjh wrote:

Please tell me more!! Did you turbo it? What did you do?
I got quoted to fit a std au engine into my el. Non vct au engine, 110k kms, $1100. Includes engine and labour and fitment.

That being said, can I put an au vct into my el?

No turbo........it's in here what I did............

the-garage-f53/new-ed-project-car-t73529.html

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

ahmedkayihan wrote:
an old school mechaninc told me that when ur blows a head, the bottom end is also weakened so the newly fitted stronger head is too good and tight for the loosened bottom end, which gives way too. sounded reasonable. cos he did 3 gasket jobs on his car and just got a new engine instead. told me the same too.

this is not true.

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next