Fordmods Logo

Ford EL crank really fast but no start [ SOLVED ] 

Page 4 of 4 [ 60 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post subject: Re: Ford EL crank really fast but no start - PLZ HELP !!!
Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:24 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: four wheels and an engine

VIC, Australia

ok guys, found myself a good au engine, between 200-300 dollars. is there anyone who can fit it for me while i help with the labour? inbox me and the cost of it. simply because I do not have an engine hoist and some of the tools required. If anyone can fit it for me, i will bring the car and engine to you, and help out with the labour (so i can learn too lol). anyone wanna make good bux?

hopefully will get a reply. i put my faith in you guys ^^

now to confirm, there isnt much difference between std au and xr? is that true? if its just a cam, hell ill put in a stage 3 later on no worries. are the heads the same? big difference? any other difference?

i hope to get it all sorted out soon. anyone who can drop the engine into my engine bay can pm me. i can pay too

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 96 EL XR6

QLD, Australia

On E series it was just the Cam, fuel pressure reg and 41mm exhaust vavles compared to 39mm stock. Im pretty sure its the same on an AU engine, but not 100% sure about if AUs all have the same exhaust vavle size or not, but as i said, you wont feel much difference if any at all, going from a tired engine to one with only 110xxxkms.

EL XR6, T5 Speed - Full Factory Fitted Tickford Body Kit, AU Engine, Billet Camtech 845 Cam, J3 Chip, MLS Gasket, Intake, Extractors, High flow cat, 2 1/2in exhaust, K&N Air Filter, 3.45 LSD, - My Pride and Joy

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:09 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Falcon96XR6 wrote:
On E series it was just the Cam, fuel pressure reg and 41mm exhaust vavles compared to 39mm stock. Im pretty sure its the same on an AU engine, but not 100% sure about if AUs all have the same exhaust vavle size or not, but as i said, you wont feel much difference if any at all, going from a tired engine to one with only 110xxxkms.

AU Heads are all the same. Cam is the difference.

Std AU 270kpa Reg
XR AU 300kpa reg
VCT AU 350kpa Reg.

There will be a big difference between a tired E series engine and a decent 100K AU Engine.

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:10 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

ahmedkayihan wrote:
ok guys, found myself a good au engine, between 200-300 dollars. is there anyone who can fit it for me while i help with the labour? inbox me and the cost of it. simply because I do not have an engine hoist and some of the tools required. If anyone can fit it for me, i will bring the car and engine to you, and help out with the labour (so i can learn too lol). anyone wanna make good bux?

hopefully will get a reply. i put my faith in you guys ^^

now to confirm, there isnt much difference between std au and xr? is that true? if its just a cam, hell ill put in a stage 3 later on no worries. are the heads the same? big difference? any other difference?

i hope to get it all sorted out soon. anyone who can drop the engine into my engine bay can pm me. i can pay too

You need to get the sump modified first.

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

SWC wrote:
Falcon96XR6 wrote:

AU Heads are all the same. Cam is the difference.

Std AU 270kpa Reg
XR AU 300kpa reg
VCT AU 350kpa Reg.

There will be a big difference between a tired E series engine and a decent 100K AU Engine.

Yeah, i meant he wont feel any loss going from a tired E series to a decent 100k au engine, you should get gains.

EL XR6, T5 Speed - Full Factory Fitted Tickford Body Kit, AU Engine, Billet Camtech 845 Cam, J3 Chip, MLS Gasket, Intake, Extractors, High flow cat, 2 1/2in exhaust, K&N Air Filter, 3.45 LSD, - My Pride and Joy

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

Benny D wrote:
ahmedkayihan wrote:
an old school mechaninc told me that when ur blows a head, the bottom end is also weakened so the newly fitted stronger head is too good and tight for the loosened bottom end, which gives way too. sounded reasonable. cos he did 3 gasket jobs on his car and just got a new engine instead. told me the same too.

this is not true.

Yup, the only way that blowing a head gasket can damage your bottom end is if you drove around with a sump full of water.

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:03 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Yeah I think what happened with my car was that blowing the head the second time, damaged the bottom end somehow. Because as I posted earlier, at low rpm theres a diesel-like rattle and crattle sound coming, as I accelerate all the way until 3000rpm. Yeah robs the car of power too. Clankity rattly noise. Pretty bad eh? Tinklink crankling crattly rattle

Ok so im grabbing a standard non-au vct engine. Xr or nom xr doesnt matter...

Ill cut the sump and get it welded once I grab the au engine..

The question remains, Who Will Fit It In For Me?
I can help out with labour n pay too, cos I dun have an engine hoist so cant do it myself (pm me for offers).

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

The rattle you describe is called pinging.
Your timing is too far advanced.

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:47 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Benny D wrote:
The rattle you describe is called pinging.
Your timing is too far advanced.

How far advanced you mean? at TDC cyl 1, it was between like Finish and Start. Closer to Finish.
The thing is it didnt happen as soon as i started the engine. usually when it heated up. sounded like some stuff boiling inside the engine. robbed the car of power. plus there was the intermittent chronic misfire.

Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

not exactly sure but as you have a dizzy, move it anti clockwise a little bit.

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Benny D wrote:
not exactly sure but as you have a dizzy, move it anti clockwise a little bit.

Noo.. your telling him its too far advanced.. but your telling him to turn it anti clockwise? No. Anti clockwise advances the timing. Clockwise retards it.

Take the dizzy cap off, make sure engine is at TDC Compression stroke, and turn the dizzy so it points to number 1. The tab on the outside of the dizzy lines up with number 1 tower on the cap. It should then be close enough to start. (As in the Engine. Not "start" on the dizzy) Then connect timing light, put ecu into diagnostic mode, and adjust it properly.

Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

yea sorry hes right ^^

havent dealt with dizzys in years/

230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:35 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Hi guys!

First update in over a year, haha

Guess what??? I put an AU engine into my EL!!! Should add another 20 years to the life of my car I hope? Lol.

Costed around 1250 to fit an AU1 XR6. All is good, except now I washed my car and now I have no spark : ( (see my new thread about this issue).

There is a slight oil appearance on the bbm manifold side of cylinder 1 under the head. Do you reckon it's a leaking gasket?

Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:02 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

the oil is more than likely from the timing cover where it meets the head, seen a few au's leak from that area..

Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:34 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
the oil is more than likely from the timing cover where it meets the head, seen a few au's leak from that area..

When I took it to the mechanic he said the same thibg and chnged the timing cover... But there's still oil there even after that.

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 4  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4