Fordmods Logo

ford falcon au I6 running rough. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: ford falcon au I6 running rough.
Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:42 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford falcon 2002 au series 3 ute

QLD, Australia

The other day it was driving fine an then I went an got fuel. Turned the car up after paying for fuel an it suddenly was running like a v8.
So I drove it home, it was so gutless/no throttle response..
Everytime I went from 0-about 60 it was be slow as f#ck an felt like it wasn't getting enough fuel, I put injector clean in an trashed it within the limit hoping if the injectors were bllocked it would push the s**t through..
Still nothing, idling like a boat an shakes more when I put it in gear an sounds like a belt is f#cked, squeaking an s**t..
Also I put my hand near the exhaust an it felt like it was mmissing...
Could it be: fuel filter,injectors,spark plugs,timing thrown out,spark plug leads..
(thanks advance) - family member thinks it's the fuel filter, I kinda feel like it's the timing.. (also the day that happened I locked my car an came out too it unlocked an it would lock an the unlock so I kept trying an it sstayed llocked for atleast a minute an unlocked, so maybe it could be a computer fault?)

Post subject: Re: ford falcon au V6 running rough.
Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

First problem is that you have a V6 Falcon Au.

I suggest lifting the bonnet and locating the spark plugs and leads. There should be three cylinders on the left and three on the right. These cars run coil packs, so there are three banks of two. They fire on every stroke, so fire opposing numbers at the same time - IE - 1 & 6, 3&5 2&4 or whatever the layout is of your engine.

Try idling the engine and removing one lead at a time from the spark plugs and see if engine idle changes. Chances are one or two of the leads will make no difference to engine idle. This could mean the connection to coil pack from ECU is dodgy, you have a f**k up spark plug or lead, or the coil pack is bad (which does happen sometimes, given the silly location...)

Please note - If your V6 AU is front wheel drive, the cylinders will be front and aft banks and you will have a gearbox on the left side of the engine bay. The principle is still the same.

Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

It won't have anything to do with the locks cycling. They are controlled by a separate computer.

That it happened just after fuelling up may just be a coincidence. But could be water in the fuel. Throw 10-20 litres of E10 in it to disperse any water.

Other things to check:
- Is it making heaps of black smoke? Then the TMAP sensor may have failed (on the manifold, under the throttle body, facing the head).
- A blocked or collapsed catalytic convertor can produce those symptoms.
- A vacuum leak is a remote possibility, but that wouldn't normally cause massive loss of power at full throttle - unless a vacuum hose has actually come off.
- While idling, disconnect one injector at a time to see if you can isolate it to one cylinder.
- Probably not the fuel pump, as they tend to just die - work well or not at all. But could be a failed fuel pressure regulator (back end of the fuel rail).
- It's worth replacing the fuel filter if it hasn't been done recently.
- Also, after running it at operating temperature, read your spark plugs. The insulators should be nearly white on one side, light grey-brown on the other side. If not, tell us what they lool like (dry/wet/powdery/oily/black/white).

Try to figure out what's causing the problem before you go spending a fortune replacing perfectly good parts (we've all been there - multiple times). Hope this helps.

Just a note on terminology: Falcons run an INLINE six, six cylinders in a row - abbreviated I6 - not a V6, three cylinders on each side in V shape.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Post subject: Re: ford falcon au running rough.
Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:25 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford falcon 2002 au series 3 ute

QLD, Australia

Oh yeah sorry, not a v6. Was 3 in the mmorning with one eye open. It's a straight six..
Spark plugs were white on the tips.
Ill give everything a try when I get home.

Edit: number 4 is the problem, every other one but 4 made clicking noises..
So . Guess it's time for some new leads, might as well get spark plugs with it..

Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Good man. If number four is the only issue, then coil pack and ecu connections should be okay. Try getting your hand to where the leads go into coil pack and give them a bit of play and tickle. Nothing to violent. Think true love, not back yard bonking....

The ECU and the BEM (body electric module) are different items, but can effect each other. The doors cycling and locking can be a sign of error in the actuators and the switches that detect if doors are locking.

A number of AU's start thinking all the doors are locked, but one isn't... May just be a NZ thing, but there are a number of cars over here that you can unlock just by touching one of the rear door handles. Also the boots will not unlock without a key in them.

Just saying....

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]