Fordmods Logo

Ford's semi-active exhaust valve 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Ford's semi-active exhaust valve
Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

I was looking at getting an xforce varex remote muffler fitted to my EL but my local exhaust shop has told me they just wont fit an EL due to the limited space

Iv been looking into the FG XR8 semi active exhaust valve, just need to confirm that they work by exhaust pressure opening a butterfly that is situated in tailpipe, apparently @ 2800rpm there is enough exhaust pressure to completely open butterfly.

If anyone has seen this set up or has anymore info on it please let me know

I have a new neighbour of three weeks that has already made a complaint to my real estate about my loud car. I like to warm my car up for at least 2 mins first thing in the morning, i don't wont to strangle performance with quiet mufflers so an active exhaust is exactly what i need

Post subject: Re: Ford's semi-active exhaust valve
Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU falcon

VIC, Australia

If your car isn't over 86db they can't do anything. But varex is always in the resi and falcs are not roomy there.

Just talk to your neighbour and sensibly talk it out.

Au factory 5sp, rolling on 20'z, full custom extractors, redback cat and back. has a new motors, only 27,000ks

Welcome to Toongabbie motorsports :P

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:17 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

My car is pretty loud not sure of dB though

I'm not that worried about neighbour it's more with an active exhaust you get best of both worlds, a quiet car with great noise suppression at low engine speed and no shocking drone around 2000rpm but @ WOT you have the advantage of maximum exhaust flow

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

I'd suggest you get your car's exhaust noise tested by an exhaust shop, if it's under the limit, 90db iirc in Vic, then get some paperwork to say it is & give the real estate a copy to prove the car isn't too noisy, and they then can't do s**t about it.

If it's louder than the rules, then you might need to do something about it.

My exhausts are loud, but my neighbours don't complain, as I don't thrash my car's, so they don't hear how loud it really is at full noise. Worst they get is 3000rpm runs when running a tune on the Ghia..not often,which btw is right on the limits @ 90db lol.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

What is done to the car?

For what you will pay why don't you just build a decent system? (I.e with quality mufflers not off the shelf systems). You should be able to make a 2 muffler system that isn't over the legal limit without sacrificing much in the way of performance. Of coar5e if you have a ground up performance built engine where you are chasing every last kw it might make a difference, but day to day driving you won't notice much (if at all) difference.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:15 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

ELboy wrote:
I like to warm my car up for at least 2 mins first thing in the morning

Don't do this. No point.

1. at idle it takes ages to warm up, much faster warm up occurs with light load (e.g. driving it).
2. it only [slowly] warms up the engine, not the gearbox or diff.
3. wasted fuel (not much but still)
4. EFI car's are programmed to run when cold, sure if it was a carby engine, there's merit there.

As for the XR8 'active' exhaust, it's built into the centre muffler (AFAIK) you won't have room for it. And the X rpm opening point on the XR8 will be significantly higher on your 6, because well the XR8 flows a lot more exhaust gas.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

You're better off getting a cable controlled exhaust cut out valve.

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:41 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

skidder wrote:
What is done to the car?

For what you will pay why don't you just build a decent system? (I.e with quality mufflers not off the shelf systems). You should be able to make a 2 muffler system that isn't over the legal limit without sacrificing much in the way of performance. Of coar5e if you have a ground up performance built engine where you are chasing every last kw it might make a difference, but day to day driving you won't notice much (if at all) difference.

I have a fair few engine mods, have fitted EB tickford head that has been professionally ported with reshaped valve guides, three angle valve cut a little extra shaved off for slightly higher compression and stronger valve springs. Have fitted MLS head gasket running a mild cam list goes on and on

I have a decent exhaust system with 4499 headers a redback high flow cat into a mandrel bent 2.5 inch pipe with a small straight thru magnaflow muffler before diff and a 2.5inch tail pipe with mercury hot dog style resonator. Has a real growl, have tried almost every off shelf sports systems they make for EL's haven't really liked the sound of any of them except for custom system im now running. I don't want to fit anymore mufflers i want to make an active exhaust . I know the xr8 has more exhaust pressure witch will mean butterfly wont fully open till around 3500rpm but thats perfect. I don't like the cable type valves. What i like about xr8 valve is that it opens as exhaust pressure builds so sound gradually gets louder

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Iv just been told how the FG XR8 SAM semi active muffler actually works
I thought it was just a flap in tailpipe that worked as a silencer slowing down exhaust flow making muffler and cat work harder but its actually the type of muffler similar to
hsv's bi modal. When the valve in muffler is closed exhaust gas is redirected through baffles making it work like a conventional muffler when valve is open muffler is practically a straight through. I really like this idea really is best of both worlds. I'm sure i'll have no problems finding an xr8 active muffler, all muffler shops around here keep the factory systems they upgrade someone will have one

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

Have you ever made a muffler before? It wouldn't be that hard to make one if you are so inclined and have access to a welder and fabrication skills :P

I have a sneaky feeling exhaust shops will realise what they are when they pull them off and sell them accordingly, although would probably still be cheaper than any off the shelf equivalent.

The biggest problem you face is that it will change your exhaust note. Thought of just putting another of the same muffler earlier on, or even a d*ldo glass pack muffler? Below is the system I have now after being tacked up, although it now has a tailpipe but no resonator. It is loud at noise but can baby in and out of my neighbourhood when I have to, although if I was going to do it again would go an 18" glasspack (only 12" in pic).

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]