Fordmods Logo

Fried something between the fuel pump 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Fried something between the fuel pump
Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1992 EBII Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Hey all! I was just driving the old trusty EB2 up the hill when all of a sudden it started surging. What now I think? I've just rebuilt the thing not long ago.

I kept driving up the hill fighting the surge but unfortunately had a very slow driver in front off me. The car cut out and I had no momentum thanks to said driver. I landed in a dangerous spot of the hill around an 80km bend where I was trapped, halfway in my lane :shock:

I panicked and tried starting up again but no dice, then saw some smoke from the engine bay. I popped the bonnet and found an exposed wire has shorted on the throttle body. The bloody thing was cooked. It's the red one that goes into the ISC (that little 2 pin oval plug). Car is dual fuel so it was spliced in dodgy and not heat shrinked/taped, hence the short lel.

I lifted the wire off the throttle body and the car started no worries... got me 1km further until it died in my street. Pushed it into the driveway the rest of the way and replaced the fried wire.. still not working.

Noticed the fuel pump doesn't prime when turn key, applied 12v directly to the pump itself and it's fine (and it's relatively new). Tried earthing the top right pin in ecu diagnostics terminal and the pump didn't run. I've managed to run the pump on with the key off this way before.. something is definitely blown or fried somewhere between the ecu terminal and the isc wire?

My question is how can that shorted isc wire possibly relate back to the fuel pump? Normally it's a red wire running from the ISC to an engine bay/transmission harness on the firewall. Due to the gas system they've spliced a relay halfway inbetween this. I've tried a new wire direct from isc plug to the engine bay harness as per factory spec.. still no luck.

I can't find anymore fried wire.. it was only 30cm up from the throttle body, the wire from the gas relay to the engine bay harness is fine.. it only fried from the tb and seemed to stop at the relay.

Does anyone have any ideas?? I'm currently looking at the fuel pump relay, but don't have spare on me. It seems way away from where the isc wire shorted, could possibly be something to do with the gas system linking to the fuel pump.. the short on the red isc wire has definitely taken the pump out of commission on some way!

Any idea's would be greatly appreciated Cheers

Post subject: Re: Fried something between the fuel pump
Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:41 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Try bridging the relay and see if the pump works.

Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

SWC wrote:
Try bridging the relay and see if the pump works.

Awesome cheers mate I'll give it a go!

Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Just bridged the wires before... the pump came on straight away and stayed on. Appears the pump and wiring from there to the boot is fine! Thanks SWC. Guess the relays stuffed for sure? Will be getting a new one tomorrow

I went to start the car with the pump running and it still doesn't start. Now it's getting fuel although doesn't appear to have solved the issue, the pump is constantly on after I bridge the relay I assume it should start.. it cranks but seems to stutter every 3rd crank (if you hold the key in for 15 cranks or say 8 it will only stutter it at the start once, 3rd crank or so) Pretty sure that's new since the short.

Might look over the spark side of it tomorrow hopefully it hasn't taken out too much :|

Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:55 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Spray some Aerostart or Start You Bastard down the throttle body while trying to start it.

If it fires, you have an injector (or Fuel) issue.

Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

It's the ECU relay!! Just woke up before haha and checked for spark, found none so I took out the ECU relay to bridge it and found the plug is half melted. With both relays bridged I got spark and she fired up straight away :D

About to go out again and see if the relays are fine... might just be the plug as I've heard the ecu relay controls the fuel one.. if that's the case I could rig up a switch to the plug for the ecu relay to get me by until I get to the wreckers. Pretty wrapped the TFI and coils are all good!

Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Actually it's not turning over now. When I bridged both the first time it started up no worries. Now it doesn't crank at all. When I unbridge the ecu one it will crank fine (but no spark/fuel). It's only when bridged it ceases to crank.

Found the fuel pump relay works fine as it primes when I bridge the ecu one. Don't get why it's not cranking like before

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]