Fordmods Logo

Fuel Economy and diff gears?? 

Page 1 of 5 [ 63 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Fuel Economy and diff gears??
Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:18 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

I am somewhat concerned over the fuel economy of my EL Ghia. I dare say that my mates EL futura gets much better fuel economy. Both Autos, Does it come down to the different diff gears?

Futura has 3.08, EL Ghia has 3.45.

2 questions...

1. Which would have the better fuel economy if driven under same circumstances? Does it come down to revs or load?

2. Can ARM777 get his fuel economy down to 5l/100km considering he can get 25rwkw with exhaust only, hes a miracle man.

EL Fairmont Ghia, extractors, 2.5 inch system, high flow cat, K&N panel filter, AUXR Snorkel, 3.45diff 0-100km/h 6.9secs

SS COMMODORE LS1 282rwkw, awesome power

Post subject: Re: Fuel Economy and diff gears??
Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:23 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

EB V8 wrote:
I am somewhat concerned over the fuel economy of my EL Ghia. I dare say that my mates EL futura gets much better fuel economy. Both Autos, Does it come down to the different diff gears?

Futura has 3.08, EL Ghia has 3.45.

2 questions...

1. Which would have the better fuel economy if driven under same circumstances? Does it come down to revs or load?

Considering the EL Ghia has a Tickford engine and is typically programmed to use more fuel, is heavier and has a 3.45 diff, it will generally use more fuel. Considering goverment standard tests demonstrate that an EL ghia will use .5l/100km more than a standard I6, then thats your answer.

EB V8 wrote:
2. Can ARM777 get his fuel economy down to 5l/100km considering he can get 25rwkw with exhaust only, hes a miracle man.

1. Cant even get my F**k name right... I still consider you an illiterate retard.

2. Best I have gotten it is a regular 7l to 8l/100km on the freeway. But no, that is a regular thing since my recently installed cam. Before that it was 8l to 9l/100km.

Any other questions ye performance god?

P.S. Pretty piss poor attempt man... I thought you said you were above school yard type bagging lines :?

Last edited by arm79 on Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

Has your car got alot more kms?
Has it been looked after/serviced?

Driving normally I used to get 8l/100km with CC on out of my 6cyl fairlane on hwy and 13-13l/100km around town with stop start, occasional hard acceleration from lights..

Diff cars can get very different reading for MANY reasons.. you always here about how ppl will call the car a "lemon" sometimes on how it drives or how much fuel it uses.. orin the other case a "freak" when they use no petrol or go alot harder than others, ie on dynos on same day within 2min of each other they can vary heaps..
Always here people say they got a car which was made on a friday or some s**t like that too.. they vary heaps in similar circumstances not to mention if they have been treated differently!

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:35 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

In reality its quite a stupid question by Mr V8.

Being the acknowledged performance expert that he is, one would assume that he would understand the effects of weight and gearing on performance and fuel consumption.

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA Falcon Suzy Across

Power: 178 rwkw

VIC, Australia

its true, 1 second, hes claiming to size up against a ford engineer and write the gospel of car engines, and now he creates a post whos sole purpose is to obviously take a cheap shot at someone who has already wrecked him...

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:54 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

arm79 wrote:
In reality its quite a stupid question by Mr V8.

Being the acknowledged performance expert that he is, one would assume that he would understand the effects of weight and gearing on performance and fuel consumption.

I dont think the difference is .5L to be honest. hence the basis for the question. I reckon its closer to 5L

By the way, I only remember names of important people, not arm or a** or whatever your name maybe. I know about driving performance cars, you may know about spending a whole week pulling down a motor to get one horsepower but i find that a waste of time. Just drive em.

The only thing I port and polish is a hot woman. Women dont like guys with sandpaper for hands. So thats why I choose to leave the engine crap to guys like ARM whilst im out port and polishing the women (probably his too). If ARM grabbed a women she would think she was being exfoliated.

EL Fairmont Ghia, extractors, 2.5 inch system, high flow cat, K&N panel filter, AUXR Snorkel, 3.45diff 0-100km/h 6.9secs

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:57 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

The difference has been considerable, been difficult to get it under 20L/100km. the EL ghia has extractors on it as well??

What does ARMPIT think about that? hes the expert.

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

this tough-boy attitude is getting very old

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:04 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

stockstandard wrote:

How can your EL get slower and XF get faster? Maybe its your car thats getting older?

Im not being the tough boy, just asking a diff gears fuel economy question. The EL has excessive fuel economy. Its driven 99% around the suburbs but 20L/100km is a little much.

I reckon my LS1 is better on fuel.

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

20+++L/100km LOL

Hope the thing moves for that sort of economy... thats shocking, honestly do you look after it, do you take it out of 1st gear?

that seriously shouldnt be the case for that car, but on the good side, i see its costing you deeply in petrol with that and an 8cyl!

I be lucky to get over 17.6l/100km after thrashing mine around for a week, and it has less power, more weight, GW!

Id take it to a good mechanic asap n get everything looked at, cost less in long run for sure..

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:07 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

smiley235 wrote:
its true, 1 second, hes claiming to size up against a ford engineer and write the gospel of car engines, and now he creates a post whos sole purpose is to obviously take a cheap shot at someone who has already wrecked him...

I like your thinking smiley! :D

EB, I thought we were going to have a decent technical argument, not a childish school yard argument. Maybe one of the mods can move this thread to Off Topic where it should really be.

My Ghia's trip computer average is currently sitting at 21.7l/100km. Why? Because I filled up Monday, reset everything, have driven about 50km (which is too and from work every day since, all suburban) and let it warm up for a few mins every morning. Then semi racing the thing to work.

I can only assume you flog the absolute tits off your car, hence the high consumption.

And the .5l/100km figure was given to DEMONSTRATE TO YOU that at even in a controlled simulated road test, when brand new the XR drivetrain uses more fuel. Then we count in extra weight plus the fact that Ghia's are less aerodynamic than a GLi or Futura, we find that the real word consumption would be a bit different between the 2 models.

Last edited by arm79 on Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

EB V8 wrote:
stockstandard wrote:

How can your EL get slower and XF get faster? Maybe its your car thats getting older?

Its an EF you illiterate retard...

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:09 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

What you dont consider is that you drive like a tightass. scared to use the throttle, do you have a chink in your ankle, you cant move it much to hit the throttle?

The car is in perfect condition, runs beautifully, trated like gold. Im going off the ghia trip computer reading. It does seem a little high, i drive it a little but mostly other people drive it. (I like a little more power than an i6)

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:11 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I don't even know what the f**k you are saying?
You are saying that you don't drive like a p***y, and you wonder why your economy is bad?
Get your hand off it.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: XH B&S ute, Navara 4x4

Power: 202 rwkw

SA, Australia

Wot a f**k sook! Won't get his hands dirty. Do you get your nails manicured pretty boy! Im reasonabley sure EB_V8 is a fag. Anybody else of this opinion? Usually the guys that talk about all the women they get get none while the quiet ones that don't brag get em all!

You'll ride a black tornado across the western sky

You'll rope an ol' blue norther and milk it 'till it's dry

Bulldog the Diamantina pin its ears down flat

Long before you take this cowboy's hat

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 5  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next