Fordmods Logo

Fuel pump won't prime 

 

Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

 
 Post subject: Fuel pump won't prime
Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:47 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 233

Joined: 8th Jul 2009

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF GLi Manual, '91 EB Wagon

Location: Waikato
New Zealand

Hi guys - I did a CFI to MPFI conversion on the EB this weekend (including changing the fuel pump), and after putting it all back together, I turn the key and no fuel pump sound at all. :(

I'm thinking maybe I knocked one of the wires off when putting the pump back in, and being a wagon, I don't really want to have to pull it apart again to check....

Is there a way to test this without having to pull it back out?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Fuel pump won't prime
Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:26 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 233

Joined: 8th Jul 2009

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF GLi Manual, '91 EB Wagon

Location: Waikato
New Zealand

Does anyone at least have a wiring diagram for the 4 pin fuel pump plug in the boot?

I tested continuity between the red wire at the pump end, and the black/yellow wire at the other side of the plug, and nothing - however, perfect continuity between the red wire, and chassis earth...

:?

The plot thickens....
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Fuel pump won't prime
Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:40 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 2750

Joined: 22nd Jan 2009

Ride: '91 EB Wagoon

Location: Geeelong
VIC, Australia

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Fuel pump won't prime
Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:41 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 233

Joined: 8th Jul 2009

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF GLi Manual, '91 EB Wagon

Location: Waikato
New Zealand

Mad2 wrote:
EB1 or EB2?? and for sedan?


EB1, with MPFI parts from an EB2.

And nope, station wagon
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Fuel pump won't prime
Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:15 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 2750

Joined: 22nd Jan 2009

Ride: '91 EB Wagoon

Location: Geeelong
VIC, Australia

hope this helps ya

Image

Image

Last edited by Mad2 on Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Fuel pump won't prime
Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:24 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 233

Joined: 8th Jul 2009

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF GLi Manual, '91 EB Wagon

Location: Waikato
New Zealand

[quote="Mad2"]hope this helps ya

Cheers :D

Looking at that, 787 (black/yellow) goes to the fuel pump relay, and on to B+, as I would have assumed since the other end of the wire is red....

So why would mine be showing as an earth with the key off? Is this another crazy falcon thing that switches polarity via the BEM like the door locks seem to?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Fuel pump won't prime
Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:48 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 2750

Joined: 22nd Jan 2009

Ride: '91 EB Wagoon

Location: Geeelong
VIC, Australia

5h4dy wrote:
Mad2 wrote:
hope this helps ya

Cheers :D

Looking at that, 787 (black/yellow) goes to the fuel pump relay, and on to B+, as I would have assumed since the other end of the wire is red....

So why would mine be showing as an earth with the key off? Is this another crazy falcon thing that switches polarity via the BEM like the door locks seem to?



the pump wire [bla/y] only goes to the relay ... other side is a differant color.

as too which is what........... have a look at mine tomorrow :roll: ... pretty sure one wire for pump & two for fuel level ??
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Fuel pump won't prime
Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:48 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 2750

Joined: 22nd Jan 2009

Ride: '91 EB Wagoon

Location: Geeelong
VIC, Australia

Mad2 wrote:
5h4dy wrote:
Mad2 wrote:
hope this helps ya

Cheers :D

Looking at that, 787 (black/yellow) goes to the fuel pump relay, and on to B+, as I would have assumed since the other end of the wire is red....

So why would mine be showing as an earth with the key off? Is this another crazy falcon thing that switches polarity via the BEM like the door locks seem to?



the pump wire [bla/y] only goes to the relay ... other side is a differant color.

as too which is what........... have a look at mine tomorrow :roll: ... pretty sure one wire for pump & two for fuel level ??



might be wrong tho :lol:
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Fuel pump won't prime
Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:27 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 233

Joined: 8th Jul 2009

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF GLi Manual, '91 EB Wagon

Location: Waikato
New Zealand

Well I got home from work and checked the plug in the boot - all corroded and bent pins, so I replaced it......

NOTHING

swapped out the green relay under the coolant header tank...

NOTHING

Swapped the ECU....

NOTHING :cry:

What to do next? Really don't want to have to pull the pump out again
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Fuel pump won't prime
Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:12 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 233

Joined: 8th Jul 2009

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF GLi Manual, '91 EB Wagon

Location: Waikato
New Zealand

Got out the multimeter - I figure the two thicker wires will be the pos and neg to the pump, and the thinner wires will be to the gauge on the dash? The thinner wires read a constant 8.5 volts with the key on, but no power to the thicker wires, just earth....

so with two different relays, two different ecus, why am I still getting no power? :(
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Fuel pump won't prime
Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:30 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 2750

Joined: 22nd Jan 2009

Ride: '91 EB Wagoon

Location: Geeelong
VIC, Australia

seem ta remember something about a relay at the rear [drivers side?] ??
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Fuel pump won't prime
Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:39 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 233

Joined: 8th Jul 2009

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF GLi Manual, '91 EB Wagon

Location: Waikato
New Zealand

Mad2 wrote:
seem ta remember something about a relay at the rear [drivers side?] ??


At the rear of the car? Hmmm never seen one there
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Fuel pump won't prime
Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 2750

Joined: 22nd Jan 2009

Ride: '91 EB Wagoon

Location: Geeelong
VIC, Australia

5h4dy wrote:
Mad2 wrote:
seem ta remember something about a relay at the rear [drivers side?] ??


At the rear of the car? Hmmm never seen one there



well i just pulled that area apart so i ain't bullshiitin ya .... photos shortly mate
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Fuel pump won't prime
Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:01 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 233

Joined: 8th Jul 2009

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF GLi Manual, '91 EB Wagon

Location: Waikato
New Zealand

Mad2 wrote:
well i just pulled that area apart so i ain't bullshiitin ya .... photos shortly mate


Wow, just pulled that panel off and you're right - there are two blue relays and a black box in there....

No idea what they are for though
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Fuel pump won't prime
Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:09 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 2750

Joined: 22nd Jan 2009

Ride: '91 EB Wagoon

Location: Geeelong
VIC, Australia

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 4  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 29 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:05 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names