Fordmods Logo

Further mystery to bad running engine 

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Further mystery to bad running engine
Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

Still trying to track this bastard of a problem to the engine not running right at start-up

I thought a little while back the gearbox was banging in gears when it went bad and the fuel was leaning out. well now i think theres some sort of misfire happening as i dont think i was hearing the gearbox, more a backfire of some description.

Just to recap, the motor usually flat spots and trys to stall out twice after starting (occasionally runs a treat) and then comes good. you can occasionally feel a ever so slight chugging at highway speeds. have checked all the usuals (map, oxy, replaced ALL fuel & ignition) Has a flat spot at around 3500rpm WOT. fuel economy is still respectable. generally lacks power, but still goes ok otherwise. Doesnt matter if its hot, hot start, cold start etc.
When its stalling out, the more throttle i give it the slower it goes. if its a long stall out and i gradually put the foot down i hear banging and its like having the foot on the brake.

Theres no crank sensor on an EL? is there? other things im thinking over is the TPS, [ive checked it twice now and its got good resistances (closed and WOT)] or the TGI? module on the dizzy (which got replaced with the dizzy)

Other than that, theres a $100 prize for who ever gets the first plausible answer. If i go and replace / fix whats suggested, you win it. :wink:

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Post subject: Re: Further mystery to bad running engine
Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

fiftyone wrote:
Still trying to track this bastard of a problem to the engine not running right at start-up

I thought a little while back the gearbox was banging in gears when it went bad and the fuel was leaning out. well now i think theres some sort of misfire happening as i dont think i was hearing the gearbox, more a backfire of some description.

Just to recap, the motor usually flat spots and trys to stall out twice after starting (occasionally runs a treat) and then comes good. you can occasionally feel a ever so slight chugging at highway speeds. have checked all the usuals (map, oxy, replaced ALL fuel & ignition) Has a flat spot at around 3500rpm WOT. fuel economy is still respectable. generally lacks power, but still goes ok otherwise. Doesnt matter if its hot, hot start, cold start etc.
When its stalling out, the more throttle i give it the slower it goes. if its a long stall out and i gradually put the foot down i hear banging and its like having the foot on the brake.

Theres no crank sensor on an EL? is there? other things im thinking over is the TPS, [ive checked it twice now and its got good resistances (closed and WOT)] or the TGI? module on the dizzy (which got replaced with the dizzy)

Other than that, theres a $100 prize for who ever gets the first plausible answer. If i go and replace / fix whats suggested, you win it. :wink:

I would look at either coil or dizzy.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:41 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

fiftyone wrote:

No EL's do not have crank angle sensor because EL's have a dizzy. I would look at the ignition module on the dizzy or the coil.

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:32 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: toyo,2ea,3eb,1ef,1el,zh

QLD, Australia

:| bad earthing to motor

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

Have you checked the TPS resistance is linear using a multimeter throughout the range.

Other than that I would suggest swap out the ECU and try a different fuel + ecu relay.

97 EL Fairmont 4l OHC .Silver.
Exhaust: Pacemaker's, 2.5" exhaust and Hiflow cat
Intake: FRAM AIRHOG , EL GT snorkel
XR6 300kpa fuel reg Stg 2 Auto Shift Kit.6DJA ECU
PM in Qld looking too buy Toyota 4*4 SR5 Dualcab Hilux 91-97 with 2.8l diesel engine/5spd manual

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Have you checked for vacuum leaks at the inlet manifold????

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:21 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I get a flat spot as well up to 2000RPM after first start...well it feels that way because the car doesn't pull after 2000...I figured it's my hand brake stuck, because as I drive slowly it squeaks and once I get to about 30km/hr it suddenly loosens up and it's back to normal driving.

Sorry can't help you fiftyone...but it seems like you've done majority of the things I can think of.

Cat not blocked is it? or any other obstructions in the exhaust? Also have you got the J3 chip? My J3 chip came lose one day and it gave me a headache...and once on the freeway on the way to the Dandenong cruise my car did something similar to yours. Push accelerator and the car brakes rather then goes...so I stopped, turned engine off and started it up again and back to normal running mode. So that was awkward.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Good fault!
I would suspect an electrical issue like the TFI module / leads or fuel filter / fuel pump.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:13 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 21 images

QLD, Australia

have you changed spark plugs?
i had one that had the electrodes welded together and had a simialr problem to what your explaining

xb falcon 500: currently being striped for full respray
ef falcon gli wagooon: currently finishing bodykit and then doors closed respray
the-garage-f53/ef-wagon-kit-pics-up-t77713.html

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

kelv_05ef_wagon wrote:
i had one that had the electrodes welded together and had a simialr problem to what your explaining

I suggested to him, about 3 months ago on another similar post. That he should replace his iridiums with standard NGK plugs. Don't know whether he has done that yet??????

97 EL Fairmont 4l OHC .Silver.
Exhaust: Pacemaker's, 2.5" exhaust and Hiflow cat
Intake: FRAM AIRHOG , EL GT snorkel
XR6 300kpa fuel reg Stg 2 Auto Shift Kit.6DJA ECU
PM in Qld looking too buy Toyota 4*4 SR5 Dualcab Hilux 91-97 with 2.8l diesel engine/5spd manual

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:02 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 21 images

QLD, Australia

EL__Fairmont wrote:
kelv_05ef_wagon wrote:

I suggested to him, about 3 months ago on another similar post. That he should replace his iridiums with standard NGK plugs. Don't know whether he has done that yet??????

lol it was ngk ones that did that to me bocsh all the way for me

xb falcon 500: currently being striped for full respray
ef falcon gli wagooon: currently finishing bodykit and then doors closed respray
the-garage-f53/ef-wagon-kit-pics-up-t77713.html

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

will check the plugs again. earthing seems ok, intake gasket replaced not long back.

NOT interested in playing with the ignition again as it made it worse last time, my mechanic didnt have the timing set right.

exhaust is clear

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ok figured out why the manifold gasket blew out. its backfiring (timing out) in to the airbox big time.

so i've narrowed it for you all (i'll check the plugs again) what am i looking at? keep in mind that i think the timing is out slightly normally and the timing goes completely out the window twice on two separate occasions SOMETIMES at start.

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

backfiring is unusual for one of these...not on lpg is it?

i would suspect map sensor issue....either the sensor/wiring or vac leak on the tube...could be a very lean mixture ie fuel pump/filter/reg/inj/return line//tank...

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

map is (WAS !) fine who knows whats going on now its taken a couple of blasts from a mis-spark

no lpg.

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

No?

Then f**k off

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next