Good engine setup question 

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Post subject: Good engine setup question
Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Hey guys, well the saga continues with the El's auto, but its going in for diagnosis tomorrow... so fingers crossed it just needs a service and will last 12 months along with the motor. In that 12 months I plan on getting another donk and auto for it, this leads me to the topic. The car is a daily driven family car, with the main driver being my wife during the week and me on the weekends. During the hopeful 12 months I have given the donk and box, I plan on getting another 4.1 donk and auto. I want a setup that will be extremely relaible, not too bad on the juice and still put a smile on my face and flog the odd commywhore.
1.Whats the difference between an xr6 motor/box and a stock one?
2.With J3 chips is it possible to tune a standard setup so it has better power and economy than stock?
3.Are the cold air induction plates that sit between the head and inlet any good with a big mouth setup?
4. Are cams on a stock setup with headers worth while or is a mild cam more for for more worked motors? ( people who I have known to have cams in a stock setup have been dissapointed with bang for bucks)
5.Shaven head????
6. Can you get underdrives for the Ford 6?
My thoughts are J3, xr6 motor/box, cold air induction, headers, polished air induction on a stock diff. Turbo is way too much cash for the setup in a family car ( would rather charge my Xg), and I think a charger setup would be around the same dosh as a turbo, and I have always thought once you go turboing or charging a stock setup without spending money on strengthening the diff/donk/box your asking for trouble..... I may be wrong.
You can get low k xr6 motor that are fresh for under a grand now days and auto's in good condition grow on tree's for under $500, so I can work with that before I get them dropped in by someone ( thats where the cash will mainly go) as I dont have the room available to remove a donk or auto at home. Also are there any backyard mechanics on here that will do donk/auto replacements for cash? Wont be happening tomorrow but it will be coming up if anyone is interested.
Motor/auto setup info would be appreciated

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 1 post ]